Johnson only interested in the Yankees

SouthPaw

July 15, 2004

Arizona Diamonbacks pitcher Randy Johnson has made it clear that it's New York or nowhere if he's to be traded, says the Phoenix-area East Valley Tribune.

The newspaper cites a source who "speaks often" with Johnson as saying the left-handed pitcher's comments about willing to consider a trade to a legitimate potential World Series as meaning the Yankees as the only team he would consider.

Johnson (who makes $16 million this season and next) has told the D-Backs, who have the worst record in the majors, he is willing to approve a deal to a contender. While the Boston Herald says four other teams besides the Yankees -- Anaheim, Boston and both the Cubs and the White Sox -- are interested in Johnson, the person close to the pitcher said Arizona should understand that Johnson desires to go to the Yankees.

But if Johnson would waive his no-trade clause only for the Yankees, that leaves a possible sticky situation. A Diamondbacks source told the Tribune the team will have to be "overwhelmed" in any deal. The Yankees are generally considered to have very little to offer in a trade

From CBSsportsline.com

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

"Speaks often" with RJ? Besides the obvious question of "who the hell is this," why would RJ talk to anyone about this knowing he'd probly go to the media? Does ARZ find this out before this guy does? Of course, this assumes this report is correct, which is a "who knows" at this point.

Reports tonight/tomrorow morning should be dramatic

July 15, 2004

Arizona Diamonbacks pitcher Randy Johnson has made it clear that it's New York or nowhere if he's to be traded, says the Phoenix-area East Valley Tribune.

The newspaper cites a source who "speaks often" with Johnson as saying the left-handed pitcher's comments about willing to consider a trade to a legitimate potential World Series as meaning the Yankees as the only team he would consider.

Johnson (who makes $16 million this season and next) has told the D-Backs, who have the worst record in the majors, he is willing to approve a deal to a contender. While the Boston Herald says four other teams besides the Yankees -- Anaheim, Boston and both the Cubs and the White Sox -- are interested in Johnson, the person close to the pitcher said Arizona should understand that Johnson desires to go to the Yankees.

But if Johnson would waive his no-trade clause only for the Yankees, that leaves a possible sticky situation. A Diamondbacks source told the Tribune the team will have to be "overwhelmed" in any deal. The Yankees are generally considered to have very little to offer in a trade

From CBSsportsline.com

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

This Article = Smoke screen

Getting teams to overpay that's all. f*** the Yanks :fyou

As long as he goes nowhere or to the Sox, I'm happy.

I am starting to think that with Frank's injury that maybe Beltran would be more valuable to this team.

I don't think so.

The offense can suffice without Big Frank, and other decent bats can be found to help with the offense. If we can get another ace pitcher, with that pitcher being probably the most dominant pitcher of his time, you do it.

With Johnson-Garcia-Buehrle-Loaiza-Garland, we could win the division with a s*** offense. We need pitching in the postseason, and Johnson-Garcia-Buehrle is quite possibly the best 1-2-3 in the majors.

I don't think so. 

The offense can suffice without Big Frank, and other decent bats can be found to help with the offense.  If we can get another ace pitcher, with that pitcher being probably the most dominant pitcher of his time, you do it.

With Johnson-Garcia-Buehrle-Loaiza-Garland, we could win the division with a s*** offense.  We need pitching in the postseason, and Johnson-Garcia-Buehrle is quite possibly the best 1-2-3 in the majors.

Maybe so, but I still remember what David Justice did for the Yankees in 2000... he was awesome! A great Lefty bat could really help this team out. Especially when you consider how the same guy would also increase the defense of our outfield by a pretty good margin.

I think the impact both guys could have on this team are pretty significant. I think you might be surprised with how close the margin is. I dunno. It's a tough call to me with the whole Beltran vs. Johnson thing. They'd both be pretty valuable to this team.

I've been thinking about this comment and I'm quite surprised at it since RJ should know first hand that the Yankmees don't always win it, and if he's not sure he can give another #1 pitcher Mike Mussina a call who also went to the Yankmees to "Win it all" and is now on his 4th yr of having not done so.

Well, if he stays put and the Sox are in the series, I'm sure a popular sign around the park is going to be "Hey Unit, who's not legit now?" or "Theorize This!!"