John Olerud Anyone??

JoshPR

Quick Ricky Henderson story regarding the helmet:

Apparently Ricky and Olerud played on the Mets at the same time, then later in their career on the Mariners together.  Well, Olerud had told Ricky the story about why he wears the helmet when they were both on the Mets.

The first day they were together on the Mariners Ricky walked up to Olerud and asked him why he wore the helmet, Olerud, who was very confused, just repeated the story to Ricky... Apparently Ricky's reply was "Wow, that's weird, Ricky played on the Mets with a guy like that."

That's right up there with the fact that Ricky Henderson's alias on road trips is Rick Henderson

Supposedly, there are hundreds of great Rick Henderson stories like this. He's not the brightest bulb in the shop.

If Frank is out for a long time, looking for a solid 1B might not be a bad idea. Then Paulie could DH as well. Olerud might not be the guy, but someone else could be had.

Dmitri Young from Det. wouldn't be a bad idea. Though Det. isn't likely to make wholesale trades when they are so close to .500.

Keep all our options open. If we can get someone like Olerud for cheap it might be worth it, but he is a role player and defensive guy and can't replace the likes of Konerko.

Keep all our options open. If we can get someone like Olerud for cheap it might be worth it, but he is a role player and defensive guy and can't replace the likes of Konerko.

The Sox are more likely to get a DH type who could play another position rather than move Paulie. Like you said though, they should keep all options open, esp, when trying to replace a guy like Frank.

If Frank is out for a long time, looking for a solid 1B might not be a bad idea. Then Paulie could DH as well. Olerud might not be the guy, but someone else could be had.

Dmitri Young from Det. wouldn't be a bad idea. Though Det. isn't likely to make wholesale trades when they are so close to .500.

Young would be sweet, that guy can hit, and he's a switch hitter. I'm not sure he's available though, and he's making almost $8 mil this year(not sure what his future contract value is). He would be a better addition than Olerud, but would also cost more.

And Dimitri Young is a solid Firstbaseman?? :huh:

Interesting scenarios here.

Mariners have 10 days to trade Olerud, or release him. Olerud has apparantly been contemplating retirement. He vetoed a trade to SF, but now his options are basically go somewhere else or retire.

The main thing I like about Olerud is he can get on base. He walks a lot, and the Sox need more guys who can get on base ... not necessarily Olerud, but a guy who can get on base.

Either Carl Everett or John Olerud are clearly upgrades over Ross Gload. I have no idea if Olerud would want to come here, or just retire. He could fill a need as an upgrade over Gload. Olerud can't play OF, but from what I've seen neither can Gload :lol: .

Let's suppose for a moment that Thomas has the surgery and is out until September. There's a big time opening for Olerud on the White Sox. If Frank is coming back relatively soon, they're better off getting Everett. Either way, there are more and more guys out there who provide an upgrade for the Sox.

Why would he veto SF?

Did they just want him off the bench?

He vetoed the trade because he lives in Seattle, and didn't want to leave.

Now that staying in Seattle isn't an option, he said he'll look for somewhere to play this season. He did say he still wants to play though.

Why would he veto SF?

Did they just want him off the bench?

I'd read he vetoed a trade to the Giants about two weeks ago. Not sure why the Giants wanted him, i.e. what role, but Olerud's reason was he didn't want to leave home (Seattle, I guess he makes his home there).

Since SF had an interest, and it's the closest major league team to Seattle, it's logical to think he might end up there now.

Tough to guage whether the Sox would be interested and Olerud vice-versa, but we can be certain Williams/Hahn, et al, are discussing it or already have.

Another interesting name is Frank Catalanatto from Tor. He should be back from the DL soon for a hamstring injury. But he absolutely kills RHP [a .360+ avg this year] and is very versatile. He could DH until he was completely healthy, and play LF [Lee at DH], 2B, 1B, RF. Catalanotto could give people breathers or he could be DH. A solid #2 hitter who can get on base for MAggs, Lee, PK and Jose. While he doesn't hit much vs. LHP, the Sox have enough RH hitters to compensate.

Have the Sox deal for him and Gregg Zaun. Both shouldn't cost too much in terms of talent. And both are FA's next year.

Another interesting name is Frank Catalanatto from Tor. He should be back from the DL soon for a hamstring injury. But he absolutely kills RHP [a .360+ avg this year] and is very versatile. He could DH until he was completely healthy, and play LF [Lee at DH], 2B, 1B, RF. Catalanotto could give people breathers or he could be DH. A solid #2 hitter who can get on base for MAggs, Lee, PK and Jose. While he doesn't hit much vs. LHP, the Sox have enough RH hitters to compensate.

Have the Sox deal for him and Gregg Zaun. Both shouldn't cost too much in terms of talent. And both are FA's next year.

Yes, these are good options too.

How can the Sox not want a guy like Catalanatto, he has absolutely murdered us.

Whether he's available, who knows. You'd have to think Toronto is pretty much open to anything.

Is there a reason you have a picture of the mental midget Jimenez in your avatar?

:bang  :bang  :bang

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

wow that reminds me. I havent heard many Jiminez supporters since his hot start to the season. Is he even starting anymore? Havent heard a thing about the great D'Angelo Jiminez.

Supposedly, there are hundreds of great Rick Henderson stories like this. He's not the brightest bulb in the shop.

I met him twice in the same day.. literally.

At a golf outing at maybe 7am he introduced himself to me.. and at the turn.. he did it again. And he was totally serious.

Now get into a $$ conversation with him and he'll tear you up.. but common sense.. :unsure:

:lolhitting

Damn, Rickey's even Dumber than Jessica Simpson

About some things I'm sure.. but that guy is a brain at $$. I swear he's still got most of what he made over his career. Has and displays every single important (to him) item of baseball gear in his house (balls, gloves, bats, etc, etc... ). It's amazing. He keeps everything. He's a lover of the (his) game, no doubt.

I'd read he vetoed a trade to the Giants about two weeks ago.  Not sure why the Giants wanted him, i.e. what role, but Olerud's reason was he didn't want to leave home (Seattle, I guess he makes his home there).

Since SF had an interest, and it's the closest major league team to Seattle, it's logical to think he might end up there now.

Tough to guage whether the Sox would be interested and Olerud vice-versa, but we can be certain Williams/Hahn, et al, are discussing it or already have.

seattle newspapers claimed that Seattle was going to trade him for JT Snow. Why, I have no clue

seattle newspapers claimed that Seattle was going to trade him for JT Snow. Why, I have no clue

"Change of scenery" trade. Snow makes $3M more, IIRC.

Sox should swoop on Olerud now, if their scouting says he can still swing the bat.