Messiah

Turns out it was an elbow problem. And it has been hurting him all along. That just astounds me that they would let Mark Prior pitch with a sore elbow. Speculation is that he could miss the rest of the season. I am guessing that would be if Tommy John Surgery was necesary.

which means he could miss a lot of next season too, it takes about 18 months to fully come back to that.

And sometimes you don't at all, just ask former all star Jeff Zimmerman.

I know we're supposed to bash the Cubs and all, but to me this is really really sad.

which means he could miss a lot of next season too, it takes about 18 months to fully come back to that.

And sometimes you don't at all, just ask former all star Jeff Zimmerman.

I know we're supposed to bash the Cubs and all, but to me this is really really sad.

It is sad.

And honestly it pisses me off that the Cubs knew that this was a problem, and put the best young arm in baseball out there, knowingly risking his health and his career. I don't know who is responsible, but someone needs to be fired.

It is sad.

And honestly it pisses me off that the Cubs knew that this was a problem, and put the best young arm in baseball out there, knowingly risking his health and his career.  I don't know who is responsible, but someone needs to be fired.

This is the same team that rushed Kerry Wood back to pitch in the game before the ASB.... if he skips that start, he doesn't have to go for another week... :bang

I would probably blame some of the injuries on Dusty Baker because he lets his starting pitchers pitch over the 110 mark (The bull, Zambrano) but it seems like this time it was Prior’s fault. He said so himself that he felt some pain before, but never told anyone about it. He is risking himself out there, but for what? To get re-activated on the DL?

This is the same team that rushed Kerry Wood back to pitch in the game before the ASB.... if he skips that start, he doesn't have to go for another week... :bang

perhaps the elbow injury to Prior and the Kerry Wood rushed return are related...

maybe they knew about Prior's injury as early as his start at Miller park and were hoping that 8 days of rest would help it out.

All my friends thought I was crazy when I said in April that I heard he might need Tommy John... who has the last laugh now?

What about when Kerry was originally hurt - rookie year or something like that. They are notorious for mishandling pitchers, or so it seems.

Bernstein just said this, and i didn't think about it til now:

He thinks that there never was any such Achilles problem, it was just made up to take attention off the elbow

Oh also, supposedly there is a newsday report that says Baker was telling friends that Prior would need elbow surgery, a while back.

He thinks that there never was any such Achilles problem, it was just made up to take attention off the elbow

Oh also, supposedly there is a newsday report that says Baker was telling friends that Prior would need elbow surgery, a while back.

Yeah, there was a report in the New Jersey Star Ledger, from like May. I'm sure it's in the archives on Soxtalk.

Actually he isn't thinking very logically if he doesn't think there was an achillies problem, it makes perfect sense. And it happens all of the time with pitchers. If one aspect of their motion is hurting them, they compensate by trying to add to something else. Such as if their arm is hurting, they try to use their back and legs more. If their back hurts, they use the shoulder and elbow more to try to make up that lost speed. If they have a sore knee, they speed up their arm action to try to make up for the softer wind up.

I am sure his achillies hurt. But the Cubs sure lied about the elbow.

Actually he isn't thinking very logically if he doesn't think there was an achillies problem, it makes perfect sense.  And it happens all of the time with pitchers.  If one aspect of their motion is hurting them, they compensate by trying to add to something else.  Such as if their arm is hurting, they try to use their back and legs more.  If their back hurts, they use the shoulder and elbow more to try to make up that lost speed.  If they have a sore knee, they speed up their arm action to try to make up for the softer wind up.

I am sure his achillies hurt.  But the Cubs sure lied about the elbow.

No, he could be right. If it was his elbow all along, saying it's his achilles makes perfect sense. But the main thing here is this: His elbow hurt LAST YEAR. So he's had this problem for a while now, i don't think it was ever 100% and then his achilles went down and now his elbow because of that.

I don't think this is something new that was caused by the Achilles because of last year's problems with the elbow

From Barry Rozner in this morning's Daily Herald.

Prior thoughts: warning signs were all there

Posted Friday, July 16, 2004

By Barry Rozner

The worst-kept secret in baseball this year was that Mark Prior had an elbow problem.

In fact, it hasn't been much of a secret in any place but Chicago, where the Cubs insisted - and everyone wanted to believe - that it was Prior's Achilles that kept him out of action for months.

Never mind that Prior had his elbow checked for damage during spring training.

Never mind that once he came back, his breaking pitches were never the same as last year, a sign that his elbow was hurting.

Never mind that the Cubs pushed him back and started him Thursday on eight days' rest.

Never mind all the red flags and all the denials from the Cubs.

The truth is no one gets shut down for two months - entirely shut down - because of an Achilles' injury, and that's how everyone in baseball knew Prior had elbow trouble.

Too bad there isn't a dollar in hand for every time a player - current or former - said to us, "I've never heard of a guy taking two months off because of a heel.''

But no one in Chicago wanted to believe it, just like no one wants to hear about pitch counts and abuse of young arms, but Prior was abused last year and you're seeing the results of it now.

None of this is a surprise, not in the least. In fact, the only surprise Thursday was that the Cubs didn't claim Prior was OK and would miss only 1 start, which is their stock line in these cases.

Not only is Prior not OK, but history tells us sore elbows can lead to Tommy John surgery and a long time on the shelf. And even if it's not surgery, Prior seems destined to miss many more starts, perhaps even the rest of the season.

Let's hope that's not true because Prior is a once-in-a-lifetime pitcher and it'd be a shame to see him miss even another month, let alone an entire year or two.

But if that's the case, the Cubs can stop worrying about what they need to get to the World Series.

Let's hope that's not true because Prior is a once-in-a-lifetime pitcher

That's BS. He's done well for one season and hasn't stayed off the DL in any of his 3 years.

Cy Young is once-in-a-lifetime, Prior ain't.

He easily could be though, if completely healthy, i think that's what he's getting at.

That's probably what he could have gotten at. I don't think he will ever be as dominating as he was last year for that stretch. He could prove me wrong, but for a 23 year old, he is way too injury prone. It really is sad.

That's probably what he could have gotten at. I don't think he will ever be as dominating as he was last year for that stretch. He could prove me wrong, but for a 23 year old, he is way too injury prone. It really is sad.

It is sad because Prior is as ergonomically correct as any pitcher in the game of baseball. Either he has a terrible genetic make up, or he is a victim of the 140 pitch outtings that Dusty likes to throw people. I know what my guess is.

It is sad because Prior is as ergonomically correct as any pitcher in the game of baseball.  Either he has a terrible genetic make up, or he is a victim of the 140 pitch outtings that Dusty likes to throw people.  I know what my guess is.

Some guys, like Buehrle, could go 140 on a consistent basis, since he doesn't throw that hard and he relies more on the cutter and change than the breaking stuff. That's not to say he doesn't use the curveball, but it's more of a slow curve. Wood and Prior throw straight heat and hard breaking balls, so they should be throwing a lot less than a guy like Buehrle. Even though you all hate Prior as do I (as a pitcher) I think it's sad to see a guy like that go down who has such a promising career and awesome talent. I don't want to see anyone get hurt, especially someone who is good for the game, whether you admit it or not.