White Sox History 2003

JoshPR

After a year of struggles and inconsistency the Sox were back in the hunt of the al Central. But a road trip to Minnesota in September and 8 loses to the lowly Detroit Tigers hurt this team and eventually the Sox finished second again 86-76, 4 games behind the Minnesota Twins. Frank Thomas had another good season hitting .265 but returning to his custom power numbers hitting 42 homers and driving in 105 runs. Carlos Lee had a breakout season and hit .291 and had carrer highs in homers (31) and RBI’s (113). Magglio Ordoñez (.317) was the one to struggle some with the power numbers as for the first time in 5 years he didn’t hit 30 homers or drive in 100 runs falling short hitting 29 homers and driving in 99. Joe Crede (.261) was solid hitting 19 homers and driving in 75. Another one who struggled was Paul Konerko hitting .237 hitting 18 homers and driving only 65 runs. Jose Valentin (.237) had a good power season hitting 28 homers. Carl Everett was acquired from Texas and helped down the stretch hitting .301 while smacking 10 homers and driving in 41 in 73 games for the Sox. On the Mound Esteban Loaiza who was signed to a minor league deal had the finest season of his carrer leading the team in wins with 21, was third in the league in ERA (2.90) and led the league in strikeouts (207), Bartolo Colon went 15-13 and was second on the staff in k’s with 173. Lefty Mark Buherle struggled in the first months but after starting 1-8 turned it around and finished 14-14. Young Jon Garland went 12-13. In the bullpen veteran Tom Gordon had 12 saves and lefty Damaso Marte was dominant with a 1.58 ERA had 11. A trade for hard throwing closer Billy Koch failed and Koch only had 11 saves (after saving 44 and wining 11 with Oakland the year before) and eventually lost his job as closer. After the season Manager Jerry Manuel was fired and replaced by a familiar face in former shortstop Ozzie Guillen.

I just have to follow suit on this. These were really great to read Josh. I didn't know much about the Sox pre-1991, so this really taught me a lot about the franchise. These should be kept in the archives or something; it's good for the fans to know some history on the Sox.

I just have to follow suit on this.  These were really great to read Josh.  I didn't know much about the Sox pre-1991, so this really taught me a lot about the franchise.  These should be kept in the archives or something; it's good for the fans to know some history on the Sox.

I think he gave me permission to put them on WSC, so soon enough I'll stop being lazy and get them up on WSC.

I think he gave me permission to put them on WSC, so soon enough I'll stop being lazy and get them up on WSC.

Bob, PM me before you do put them on WSC. Gotta talk about it. Not that i mind just we gotta talk first