Carl Everett

DBAHO

From the Daily Southtown,

OAKLAND, Calif. — All of a sudden, Carl Everett returning to the White Sox and being their everyday designated hitter is sounding more plausible.

The Sox announced Friday that Frank Thomas has a partial stress fracture of the navicular bone in his left foot and will likely be sidelined for eight weeks. While he won't have to undergo surgery, the 36-year-old slugger will need to have the injured foot immobilized.

A source close to the situation said Sox general manager Ken Williams had been talking to Montreal about trading for Everett in recent weeks, and with the news of Thomas' condition, Williams has intensified his pursuit of Everett.

Williams traded for Everett last June in a deal with Texas, and the veteran outfielder/DH hit .301 with 10 home runs and 41 RBI in 73 games with the Sox. Everett became a free agent in the offseason and signed with the Expos.

Williams said on numerous occasions how much he respected the intensity Everett displayed on a day-to-day basis, calling him a "grinder."

The 33-year-old Everett, who entered Friday's action hitting .258 with two homers and 13 RBI in just 16 games this season, is making $3 million this year. He has been hampered by injuries throughout much of the season, and the Expos have been looking to move him now that he seems to be healthy again.

Everett was activated from the 15-day disabled list Wednesday after he missed 14 games with a sprained left ankle. Everett had a shoulder injury earlier in the season.

Meanwhile, the best-case scenario for Thomas is a mid-September return. Team podiatrist Dr. Lowell Weil delivered the news to the organization hours before Friday night's game vs. Oakland.

Weil said in a statement that the two-time American League Most Valuable Player underwent further diagnostic tests (an MRI and a bone scan) a few days ago. Those tests "revealed a partial stress fracture of the navicular bone in his left foot. ... Additional diagnostic tests will be taken in four weeks to gauge his progress," the statement said.

The news about Thomas wasn't especially surprising.

"Yeah, I told you guys the way he sounds, the way he looked, he was going to be out for a little while," Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. "When you have problems with your feet and you're as big as Frank is, you know the problem is going to be huge.

"Right now, we have to deal with it. We know what we have. There's no doubt we're going to miss him in the lineup. But we have to deal with it. ... We're going to miss one of the best hitters in the game the last few years, but we have to move on and forget about it."

Thomas was hitting .271 with 18 home runs, 49 RBI and a team-best .434 on-base percentage. He also led the Sox in walks with 64.

Thomas last played July 6 before being shut down because of foot pain. He was put on the 15-day disabled list on July 2, just as star outfielder Magglio Ordonez was rejoining the Sox lineup after a 36-game absence (knee injury).

The question now is whether Williams will make a move to replace Thomas.

"They might do something," shortstop Jose Valentin said. "Without him, we might need another hitter. That's a situation for the front office. If they think they have to make a move.

"Now we have to focus on what we have here. The guys we have on the bench aren't going to be the same hitter that Frank is. We can't ask a guy like Ross Gload to step to the plate and hit 40 home runs and be a power hitter like Frank is. Those guys are looking for an opportunity, those may be the guys that help us win. That's the good thing about this team — not only one guy can carry this team."

Guillen said he'll continue to emphasize "small ball," but talking about it and executing it are two different things.

"When you have Frank and (Paul) Konerko in the same spot, you cannot play the way I would like to play," Guillen said. "But I would rather have Konerko hit home runs and Frank hit home runs than play little ball. We have a better chance, the way we're swinging, the pitching staff we're playing right now (Oakland), to use the hit-and-run and move guys over. We'll see."

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally would love to have Everett back. I think I might be in the minority reading from some of the other posts...but he'd be a good left-handed DH with power for us.

He did very well for us last season, and was our ONLY hitter to really put it to the Twins last year. He's cheap, intensified, goaled for winning and a good hitter.

as long as the asking price is low....I say bring him on board.

He's not going to b**** that he isn't playing the outfield?  :huh

That's something that would have to be discussed with him before the deal is made.

Let him know that barring any unforeseen emergencies, he's the DH.

If he seems to have a problem with that, you don't do the deal, simple as that.

I personally would love to have Everett back. I think I might be in the minority reading from some of the other posts...but he'd be a good left-handed DH with power for us.

He did very well for us last season, and was our ONLY hitter to really put it to the Twins last year. He's cheap, intensified, goaled for winning and a good hitter.

as long as the asking price is low....I say bring him on board.

Just what the Sox need...a guy with a history of a bad attitude who has spent almost the entire season injured.

I think, before I gave up anything, I'd want to see Everett play for a few weeks. He'd need to put up some very good numbers without injury, be willing to be a DH and be very, very cheap. Like free.

Just what the Sox need...a guy with a history of a bad attitude who has spent almost the entire season injured.

I think, before I gave up anything, I'd want to see Everett play for a few weeks.  He'd need to put up some very good numbers without injury, be willing to be a DH and be very, very cheap.  Like free.

Did you say history? We all know they was nobody on earth before Carl Everett!

I can't understand this fascination with Everett. He was decent here last year. Prorate his numbers from last year and it isn't spectacular. He can't play defense at all. Did you see him try to play LF against the Sox? He would be signed next year. Frank will no doubt be back next year. Where do you put Everett? I agree with the just say no faction.

This team needs another hitter. Preferably a guy who can get it done from the left side.

Who, I ask, is realistically available? Let's not talk about Steve Finley, who only wants to go West Coast, or Carlos Delgado.

Add in that it'd need to be someone who wouldn't take away a big piece of the current team.

This team is still in 1st place but the hitting has been woefully inconsitent. There are no good leadoff hitters available to my knowledge, and unfortunately that's what the Sox really need.

Catalanatto from Toronto is a good option for a #2 guy as beck72 mentioned, we do not know for sure if he's available.

Everett, while not the perfect solution, is a professional dangerous hitter, a guy who's not afraid to get a big hit in pressure situations. He fits in the clubhouse, gives the other team another lefthanded bat to worry about, and can fill in as an outfielder. He may have had clubhouse issues before but the Sox loved him last year - it worked out fine and there were no negative issues.

So tell me why he would be a bad addition again? Because he's signed for $3.5M for next year, so what? Those things have a way of working themselves out. I am not worried about next year at the moment, neither is Williams. Montreal wants out from under the contract, all it should take is a fringe prospect or two.

Carl Everett come on guys no way he still has 2 years on deal after this year he is old and injury prone.

No, he's signed for next year, player option, and that's it. He got a two year deal, total, from Montreal.

This team needs another hitter.  Preferably a guy who can get it done from the left side.

Who, I ask, is realistically available?  Let's not talk about Steve Finley, who only wants to go West Coast, or Carlos Delgado.

Add in that it'd need to be someone who wouldn't take away a big piece of the current team.

This team is still in 1st place but the hitting has been woefully inconsitent.  There are no good leadoff hitters available to my knowledge, and unfortunately that's what the Sox really need.

Catalanatto from Toronto is a good option for a #2 guy as beck72 mentioned, we do not know for sure if he's available.

Everett, while not the perfect solution, is a professional dangerous hitter, a guy who's not afraid to get a big hit in pressure situations.  He fits in the clubhouse, gives the other team another lefthanded bat to worry about, and can fill in as an outfielder. He may have had clubhouse issues before but the Sox loved him last year - it worked out fine and there were no negative issues.

So tell me why he would be a bad addition again?  Because he's signed for $3.5M for next year, so what?  Those things have a way of working themselves out.  I am not worried about next year at the moment, neither is Williams.  Montreal wants out from under the contract, all it should take is a fringe prospect or two.

Your points are well taken. My problem is Everett has shown nothing at the plate this season. I'm sure a lot has to do with injuries, and he is supposedly healthy now. He is a guy who is suseptible to injury, and may go down again. He only has 2 homers in 120 or so at bats, is only hitting .250. I really think its a longshot that he is able to put up big numbers. In fact, Robbie Alomar's numbers are more impressive than Carl's this year, and he is cheaper. I wouldn't want him. I am with you in the fact that the Sox really need a left handed hitter. How about Palmiero?

Your points are well taken. My problem is Everett has shown nothing at the plate this season. I'm sure a lot has to do with injuries, and he is supposedly healthy now. He is a guy who is suseptible to injury, and may go down again. He only has 2 homers in 120 or so at bats, is only hitting .250. I really think its a longshot that he is able to put up big numbers. In fact, Robbie Alomar's numbers are more impressive than Carl's this year, and he is cheaper. I wouldn't want him. I am with you in the fact that the Sox really need a left handed hitter. How about Palmiero?

Bring me the bat of Raffy Palmiero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring me the bat of Raffy Palmiero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now your talkin'.

If we are going to gamble on Everett... we might as well try Olerdud (typo, but I liked it)... or McGriff ....... or Rickey Henderson .... is Stan Musial available?

Everett, while not the perfect solution, is a professional dangerous hitter,

That's where you are wrong. Look at his career numbers. Everett has had more average seasons than good ones. He mixes in a good season here or there and everyone thinks he is a star. Lat year was his good year. He has had only one occurrence in his career where he has put two good years back-to-back.

Obviously he has been hurt this year, but I am willing to bet, based on history, that he will be very mediocre in the 2nd half this year. Don't be fooled by a couple of big seasons.

Seriously why not.

He comes cheap and could most likely be had for that minor leaguer we got for Koch.

Seriously though the guy was clutch for us last year and as long as he can pass a physical and we are 100% sure he is healthy let him come and see if he can get hot in the second half at the Cell.

Seriously why not.

He comes cheap and could most likely be had for that minor leaguer we got for Koch.

Seriously though the guy was clutch for us last year and as long as he can pass a physical and we are 100% sure he is healthy let him come and see if he can get hot in the second half at the Cell.

I'd have to say, I would have gladly traded Koch for him.