Carl Everett

DBAHO

EDIT: Just went back and looked at Everett's career stats, he's a lifetime .349 on base %. Rex, he strung three good years together, '98, '99, 2000. 2001 was a down year and then he had two good years in 2002 and 2003. This year has been a down year thus far. I don't see how this guy wouldn't be a good addition.

Jim, you are being awfully generous... 98 was an average year .296-15-76 RBI..... He was good in 99 and 2000..... sucked in 2001. 2002 was also not a good year at .267-16-62. He bounced back in 2003.

The way I see it, he is an average player who has had three good years out of 8 in his career. He is coming off an injury and has barely played this season. Can't play defense. Those aren't good odds if you ask me.

I'd pass, but that is just me.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I am saying is I think Sox fans will be royally disappointed if Everett is acquired....  Call it a guy feeling, but this guy is as sporadic as they come, making him way overrated and too risky in my mind.

I don't have another solution for you, but just because there isn't another one that immediately comes to mind, doesn't make acquiring Everett a good idea.  The lesser of two evils is still an evil.

Everett could be called many things but sporadic?! He's more consistent than anything else

Maybe Sox fans who think he'll be the savior will be disappointed. But nobody is that delusional around here.

Bottom line--he should help. The other guys need to step up more, particularly the #1 and #2 hitters. Everett should be decent enough

I don't see how getting Everett is taking a gamble on our season.  Our season is going to be won or lost on that piece of rubber exactly 60' 6" from home plate, not in the batters box.  Everett would fill out the DH spot very nicely in my opinion, at this point I would rather have Everett and give up a mid-level prospect than try to go after a "big name" and give up more top prospects.  Just my opinion.

What makes you think that Montreal wants to get rid of him and would only take a mid-level prospect? His contract is reasonable and he is signed through next year. Montreal will want to take some good players to their new home next year, wherever that will be.

Everett could be called many things but sporadic?! He's more consistent than anything else

Maybe Sox fans who think he'll be the savior will be disappointed. But nobody is that delusional around here.

Bottom line--he should help. The other guys need to step up more, particularly the #1 and #2 hitters. Everett should be decent enough

let's see.....

1996 - so-so

1997 - decent

1998 - good, not great

1999 - very good

2000 - great

2001 - bad, highly disappointing

2002 - average

2003 - good again

seems sporadic to me!

What makes you think that Montreal wants to get rid of him and would only take a mid-level prospect?  His contract is reasonable and he is signed through next year.  Montreal will want to take some good players to their new home next year, wherever that will be.

Honestly, I have no idea what it would take to get him, I'm just going off of everything I've read and heard on the radio in the past couple of days. I guess how much I like Everett here depends on what it costs to get him here.

let's see.....

1996 - so-so

1997 - decent

1998 - good, not great

1999 - very good

2000 - great

2001 - bad, highly disappointing

2002 - average

2003 - good again

seems sporadic to me!

Sporadic to me means having horrible years for seemingly no reason [no injuries] interspersed with great years, and huge fluctuations in production from year to year.

Everett should be like his career avgs of .277, .349 OBP, and .475 SLG. An improvement over what the Sox can put in the DH spot once MAggs goes back to RF.

If healthy [playing everyday in LF on his ankle for over a month now], Everett should be a good fit for what the Sox need [LH power, decent OBP, good in the clubhouse].

I don't think Carl's the last bat the Sox should get. [Catalanotto is what the Sox need to get on base for the middle of the order guys] But seeing there are not many other names or options out there, Everett should be OK.

JURASSIC CARL 2

"This time, it's PERSONAL!!"

Carl's attitude here last year was fine, and as long as Oz keeps him out of the outfield, and ESPECIALLY if the price is low enough, I like this move.

Yes, Carl will be on the header and in many sigs if he returns.

hell, whatever questions I had get answered when you feel that strongly on something.  I will follow you lead here.

Thanks for the support cw, but don't follow me blindly.... it's just a gut feeling I have with him. He will be mediocre at best.

Carl is a player I like to watch. He hustles and plays hard and has a good eye. He isn't tremendous in the field anymore, but he isn't going to be in the field all that much. He may ocassionally spell Carlos in left but thats about it.

However, with another year left on his deal, the Sox should be able to get him without giving up much in terms of prospetcs. That to me is the key to this deal.

Beltran has not exactly set the world on fire at Houston. He had a tough game today. They would probably love to get rid of him. I have mentioned one other player in a post elsewhere, and that is Larry Walker. Rockies would probably pay us to take his contract, and he can flat hit. If Maggs goes next year, which appears likely, we have a great right fielder (expensive, yes) for one more year before Anderson is ready. Walker is a much better hitter than Finley or Beltran.

All I am saying is I think Sox fans will be royally disappointed if Everett is acquired....  Call it a guy feeling, but this guy is as sporadic as they come, making him way overrated and too risky in my mind.

I don't have another solution for you, but just because there isn't another one that immediately comes to mind, doesn't make acquiring Everett a good idea.  The lesser of two evils is still an evil.

An evil?

Rex, I'm looking at history, you're basing it off a gut feelimg ... I'm still not seeing how adding a guy with the track record of Everett would be anything close to an evil.

I mean, adjectives like sporadic, risky, gut feeling, overrated are exactly why they have scouts. They are pursuing Everett w/the Expos, so they must think he's got plenty left in the tank

Carl looked pretty solid today from what I saw of the Expos/Braves game. Got a nice RBI base hit and played right very solidly, even had a nice catch that was a web gem on Baseball Tonight. Maybe he has heard we want him and is showing that he can get it done. Well anyways, I saw why not give him a chance? What do we have to lose?

An evil?

Rex, I'm looking at history, you're basing it off a gut feelimg ... I'm still not seeing how adding a guy with the track record of Everett would be anything close to an evil.

I mean, adjectives like sporadic, risky, gut feeling, overrated are exactly why they have scouts. They are pursuing Everett w/the Expos, so they must think he's got plenty left in the tank

The history you are looking at is sporadic as hell...... Scouts don't always get it right.... hell, somebody paid the guy $9 million at one point and he sure as hell isn't worth that.... if he was worth $6 or $7 million he would still be with the Sox.

You can have him. I don't want him just because he is better than Gload or Timo.

Thanks for the support cw, but don't follow me blindly.... it's just a gut feeling I have with him.  He will be mediocre at best.

I don't follow you blindly but I do know when the intensity of your expertise picks up and when that happens, I pay attention :headbang

I'm not exactly thrilled with Everett, but I guess he's better than nothing. There aren't a whole lot of proven hitters out there. The only one's that definitely might be available are Finley(not entirely thrilled with him either) or Beltran(he'll cost way too much). If we can get Palmeiro or Cattalanato, or someone along those lines, I would feel much better. Another problem is that Everett doesn't really have a place once Thomas comes back. We can't put him in the outfield(in my book he's about a draw with Gload). I'd try to wait until the deadline to see what other players will be there.