Carl Everett

DBAHO

Seriously why not.

He comes cheap and could most likely be had for that minor leaguer we got for Koch.

Wilson Valdez, the guy we got for Koch is actually pretty good. He doesn't have power but he gets a lot of hits, and is really fast.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actuallly think Carl would be a good fit here. Why not? Another lefty bat and decent speed is always welcome.

I agree. I think this might be a textbook case where a "change of scenery" would really help Everett. He was solid last year. We know we aren't going to be able to find someone who can produce like Frank does but for as cheap as we can get Everett I like the idea. He is a good guy to have in the clubhouse and is a solid switch-hitter. I say bring him here, why not, maybe playing for a contender will motivate him.

That's where you are wrong.  Look at his career numbers.  Everett has had more average seasons than good ones.  He mixes in a good season here or there and everyone thinks he is a star.  Lat year was his good year.  He has had only one occurrence in his career where he has put two good years back-to-back. 

Obviously he has been hurt this year, but I am willing to bet, based on history, that he will be very mediocre in the 2nd half this year.  Don't be fooled by a couple of big seasons.

I think the pitchers, pitching coaches, and managers on other teams would respectfully diagree with you.

He is certainly not a star.

But the questions to ask are, is Everett an upgrade over what the Sox currently have? Does he fill a need? Can he be serviceable in the field?

Yes, yes, and yes.

I would love Rafael Palmiero here. That being said, he vetoed a trade to Chicago last year or year before, albeit the Cubs. What makes any of us think he'll approve a trade now? I'd love it, but reality is a different matter.

The other thing about Everett is this ... he had success here last year. He did well. Some players, when placed in certain environments, do well.

Yes, he is an injury waiting to happen. So are all baseball players, so are all of us for that matter. It might happen, it might not.

You would not bring in a guy like Everett and go with what they've got, or are you suggesting someone else?

I'm basing my statements on the fact that we know KW likes Everett and it's been reported he's pursuing this guy.

Everett is not a savior but he's clearly an upgrade over what we have at DH right now, meaning, after Maggs goes back to RF. Then our DH is who? Borchard? Gload? Burke?

I agree.  I think this might be a textbook case where a "change of scenery" would really help Everett.  He was solid last year.  We know we aren't going to be able to find someone who can produce like Frank does but for as cheap as we can get Everett I like the idea.  He is a good guy to have in the clubhouse and is a solid switch-hitter.  I say bring him here, why not, maybe playing for a contender will motivate him.

Do you want to gamble our season on a definite maybe? I want someone that we can count on to actually produce.

Do you want to gamble our season on a definite maybe?  I want someone that we can count on to actually produce.

I agree, I think we all do.

Is Palmiero available, and would he approve a trade to the Sox? I do believe he's got a clause in that new contract he signed, but not positive. He also said he wanted to finish his career with Baltimore.

Palmiero>Everett but how realistic acquiring Palmiero is ... ?

I agree, I think we all do.

Is Palmiero available, and would he approve a trade to the Sox?  I do believe he's got a clause in that new contract he signed, but not positive.  He also said he wanted to finish his career with Baltimore.

Palmiero>Everett but how realistic acquiring Palmiero is ... ?

The thing is ... Everett, this year, may not be any more productive than Ross Gload.

Everett could help right away at DH. He posts a solid OBP, provides power from the LH side, is a good situational hitter and works hard. This years' numbers aren't indicative of what he can do. With all the time off, he has needed these AB's to get into hitting shape. Is he the best guy out there? No. But he's a good fit, even if he's signed for 2005. Frank's bat cannot be replaced by one guy. It must be a team effort.

Getting Everett isn't the end. Another bat at the top should be had. Ross Gload [who Everett should replace] has been decent. but Everett is better than him. Everett should be had for a mid level prospect [someone like Josh Stewart]. More moves still can be made.

While I'd like Frank Catalanotto [he could be available, and would be perfect for the bench going into the 2nd half], he might be a few weeks away from being ready after being on the DL.

The thing is ... Everett, this year, may not be any more productive than Ross Gload.

That's a bet I would definitely take :D

Levine was on AM 1000 about 11:15 this morning, he said KW is pushing hard to get an Everett deal done.

Don't know what that means in terms of timing or whether it'll go through, it was just a one sentence statement by Levine, and then Silverman got right back to blabbing about the Cubs.

EDIT: Just went back and looked at Everett's career stats, he's a lifetime .349 on base %. Rex, he strung three good years together, '98, '99, 2000. 2001 was a down year and then he had two good years in 2002 and 2003. This year has been a down year thus far. I don't see how this guy wouldn't be a good addition.

Everett at DH [not in hte OF] will almost certainly be better than Ross Gload. He has the numbers over the course of his career to prove it. Almost all MLB GM's would rather have Everett over Gload. Most pitchers would rather face Gload than Everett. His LH power would be welcome, even if Frank comes back.

Carl might not be a cure all but he would improve the Sox.

One thing I liked about Carl last year was how he made pitchers work each AB, ala Frank Thomas, fouling off pitches, etc. Most Sox hitters don't work the count, and make the SP's throw a lot of pitches. Carl would improve the Sox in this area.

One thing I liked about Carl last year was how he made pitchers work each AB, ala Frank Thomas, fouling off pitches, etc. Most Sox hitters don't work the count, and make the SP's throw a lot of pitches. Carl would improve the Sox in this area.

Yes. Both statements are right on the mark.

Everett at DH [not in hte OF] will almost certainly be better than Ross Gload. He has the numbers over the course of his career to prove it. Almost all MLB GM's would rather have Everett over Gload. Most pitchers would rather face Gload than Everett. His LH power would be welcome, even if Frank comes back.

I'm not buying it. Gload has been solid with the stick. Everett might hit .220. We just don't know what he can bring to the table now.

I don't know, guys.  Everett scares me.  If we are going to bank our hopes on someone, I want it to be someone that is not going through a personal Spring Training at this time of the year.

The Sox need other players to pick up their games as well, like when Maggs went down. Everett isn't or should be expected to be the savior. But he would improve the club without dramatically altering the clubhouse [such as trading a position player or replacing someone in the everyday lineup]. Ross Gload would probably be sent to AAA.

Everett > Gload.

I'm not buying it.  Gload has been solid with the stick.  Everett might hit .220.  We just don't know what he can bring to the table now.

We don't know what Gload will bring to the table when the heat is on during a pennant race. Everett has that experience, he's a better hitter, is a switch hitter, and is arguably a better OF too.

Everett could hit .220 but his history certainly doesn't suggest he would.

I can see being concerned about Everett's durability but I don't think there's any question Everett>Gload ... by a lot.

I'm not buying it.  Gload has been solid with the stick.  Everett might hit .220.  We just don't know what he can bring to the table now.

Every move is a risk. Yet Everett has proved he's capable of hitting .280+, with LH power, and an above avg. OBP over the years. He's less risky than hoping Gload finds his groove, above what he's done so far [which has been OK, but not enough to be the fulltime DH now]

BTW- isn't Carl hitting .250+ now?

You guys have some very valid points. However, this years Carl Everett is not last years version. He's an unknown at this point. Is he healthy? Is he rusted worse than the Tinman in the Wizard of Oz? Does he 4 weeks to get his stroke back?

I"m just saying that he is a BIG gamble and I'd like to see us pick up more of a "sure thing".

You guys have some very valid points.  However, this years Carl Everett is not last years version.  He's an unknown at this point. Is he healthy?  Is he rusted worse than the Tinman in the Wizard of Oz?  Does he 4 weeks to get his stroke back?

I"m just saying that he is a BIG gamble and I'd like to see us pick up more of a "sure thing".

Fair questions, I would think KW has those same questions and is getting them answered.

Yes, I would like more of a sure thing too. Don't know what's realistically out there that fits the bill. Whatever trade is made, almost assuredly it'd be no one off our current roster, except maybe a fringe guy. That's why trading w/Montreal is a good fit.

Everett has been off the DL for over a month now. He should be coming around. He's been playing LF everyday for a month. At DH, he should be able to rest his ankle and just hit for the Sox.

One thing overlooked is how Everett would feel coming back to the Sox. Think how he would feel coming back knowing he's wanted by the Sox organization, where throughout his entire career not much loyalty has been shown him. He knows the Sox want him and think highly of him. He would have to happy with a trade back to the Sox. [He knew the Sox weren't going to bring him back because they would have had to pay him near what he was making in 2003] By all accounts he's a winner and should fit right in with Ozzie's way of thinking.

BTW-Carl hit for a .301 avg, a .377 OBP, and a .473 SLG playing all OF for the Sox. With less wear and tear on him playing DH, anything close to what he did last year would help replace some of what Frank was giving the Sox.

Everett has been off the DL for over a month now. He should be coming around. He's been playing LF everyday for a month. At DH, he should be able to rest his ankle and just hit for the Sox.

One thing overlooked is how Everett would feel coming back to the Sox. Think how he would feel coming back knowing he's wanted by the Sox organization, where throughout his entire career not much loyalty has been shown him. He knows the Sox want him and think highly of him. He would have to happy with a trade back to the Sox. [He knew the Sox weren't going to bring him back because they would have had to pay him near what he was making in 2003] By all accounts he's a winner and should fit right in with Ozzie's way of thinking.

BTW-Carl hit for a .301 avg, a .377 OBP, and a .473 SLG playing all OF for the Sox. With less wear and tear on him playing DH, anything close to what he did last year would help replace some of what Frank was giving the Sox.

I would absolutely love to get Crazy Carl back. So far he's had a down year but that's because he's had injuries, now he'd become the dh and should be able to stay healthy. Nobody should be worried about his attitude he was a great clubhouse guy when he was here and everyone seemed to like him. Not only did carl hit .301 here last year, he came the sox best clutch hitter by far. He was the only guy still hitting down the stretch last year. Carl is a perfect fit here.

I think the pitchers, pitching coaches, and managers on other teams would respectfully diagree with you.

He is certainly not a star.

But the questions to ask are, is Everett an upgrade over what the Sox currently have?  Does he fill a need?  Can he be serviceable in the field?

Yes, yes, and yes.

I would love Rafael Palmiero here.  That being said, he vetoed a trade to Chicago last year or year before, albeit the Cubs.  What makes any of us think he'll approve a trade now?  I'd love it, but reality is a different matter.

The other thing about Everett is this ... he had success here last year.  He did well.  Some players, when placed in certain environments, do well.

Yes, he is an injury waiting to happen.  So are all baseball players, so are all of us for that matter.  It might happen, it might not.

You would not bring in a guy like Everett and go with what they've got, or are you suggesting someone else?

I'm basing my statements on the fact that we know KW likes Everett and it's been reported he's pursuing this guy.

Everett is not a savior but he's clearly an upgrade over what we have at DH right now, meaning, after Maggs goes back to RF.  Then our DH is who?  Borchard?  Gload?  Burke?

All I am saying is I think Sox fans will be royally disappointed if Everett is acquired.... Call it a guy feeling, but this guy is as sporadic as they come, making him way overrated and too risky in my mind.

I don't have another solution for you, but just because there isn't another one that immediately comes to mind, doesn't make acquiring Everett a good idea. The lesser of two evils is still an evil.

Do you want to gamble our season on a definite maybe?  I want someone that we can count on to actually produce.

I don't see how getting Everett is taking a gamble on our season. Our season is going to be won or lost on that piece of rubber exactly 60' 6" from home plate, not in the batters box. Everett would fill out the DH spot very nicely in my opinion, at this point I would rather have Everett and give up a mid-level prospect than try to go after a "big name" and give up more top prospects. Just my opinion.