Shingo Takatsu Interview

DBAHO

Quite funny indeed,

You've been playing Major League Baseball for a few months now. Who is the toughest hitter you've faced this season?

I think (the Yankees' Hideki) Matsui. There are many guys that are difficult to pitch to, but Matsui has been the toughest.

What's easier to use, chopsticks or a fork?

Chopsticks. It's easier to grab the small objects with the chopsticks. Forks make it hard to pick up.

The team plane crashes on a deserted island. Who is the first to be eaten, and who comes up with the idea?

Hmmmmmmmmm ... (bullpen catcher) Man Soo Lee is the first to be eaten, and (reliever Damaso) Marte comes up with the idea.

OK, there's a Sumo wrestling match between Frank Thomas and Carlos Lee ... you have to put money on it. Who wins?

Carlos Lee.

Japanese players are known for listening to their managers and coaches, and never mouthing off. That's obviously not the case here in the U.S. What's the worst thing you've ever said to a manager or coach in Japan?

I've always respected my manager. I've never said anything to them. A few of the young players have said things to a manager, but most of the players don't say anything.

Did you see the movie "Mr. Baseball" (in which Tom Selleck portrayed a player who was sold to a Japanese team)?

Yes.

Who was a better actor in that movie, Tom Selleck or Frank Thomas?

Frank Thomas is an actor?

Yeah, he's in it.

Oh, I don't remember seeing him in there.

There's your answer.

Is it hard not to laugh at a hitter when you strike him out with that 60-mph flutterball you throw?

I don't laugh. I just relax because I got a guy out.

Ninth inning and the game is on the line. Who should be on the mound, you or (former Seattle closer) Kaz Sasaki?

I'd say Sasaki and show respect for older people.