Will Ben Davis ever get a fair shot?

AngelasDaddy0427

Davis is a solid defensive catcher and right now barring a trade I think that Davis is a better option then Burke.

I think that by the end of the year Davis will hit .150 +.

Considering there is no way the Burke does any better and since Davis is head and shoulders above Burke defensively why not give the kid a shot.

Any thoughts? :huh:

Really? Hit .150+? :o

Davis will have his shot next season. But, in the offseason, he better work his ass off with Coach Walker in the batting cages. His swing is downright awful right now. Whenever his swing, his back foot comes off the ground and moves towards the plate, like he's trying to kill every pitch. It's about as bad as having the pitcher hit down there right now.

I agree.

The point is that he's better the Burke...

Like I said a trade is obviously the best option but if a trade isn't going to happen I would much rather see Davis then Burke.

It doesn't matter what you would rather see. It's what Ozzie, and the pitchers that are throwing to the catcher want to see.

We can't just send Davis down. Too much time in service. If we try to send him down, he's gone and he still gets paid.

Davis was a very high draft pick back in whatever year it was. His claim to fame was a few years ago when he was with the Padres, and Randy Johnson had a no hitter in the eighth, and Davis bunted. Manager Brenley thought this was the biggest travesty in the history of the game. The score was 2-0, and Davis was just trying to get a hit. I was hoping Davis would teach Brenley a lesson the next day, but it was over.

send him down and give Hankins a quick look. Couldnt be any worse  :lol:

Hankins has really been raking it in Charlotte. He had a slow start to the season, but has now really turned it on. I hope he gets a realistic shot in spring training next year, after he'll have plenty of time to work on blocking balls, etc. He needs a little fine tuning on some aspect of the defensive side of the catcher position, so I doubt he'll get called up to catch this year.

Davis is a solid defensive catcher and right now barring a trade I think that Davis is a better option then Burke.

I think that by the end of the year Davis will hit .150 +.

Considering there is no way the Burke does any better and since Davis is head and shoulders above Burke defensively why not give the kid a shot.

Any thoughts? :huh:

Yeah, with another team he will.

We can't just send Davis down. Too much time in service. If we try to send him down, he's gone and he still gets paid.

Actually, Jim, I believe they can. He was sent to Tacoma earlier by the Mariners and since options are defined as years I don't there would be a problem sending him down. Not 100% sure though.

Actually, Jim, I believe they can.  He was sent to Tacoma earlier by the Mariners and since options are defined as years I don't there would be a problem sending him down.  Not 100% sure though.

I think he was called up after the season started so you may be right

Here Rex this Might help ya.

Thursday, May 6, 2004

Mariners bring C Borders back to majors, option C Davis

SEATTLE - The Seattle Mariners have added a veteran presence behind the plate.

Before Thursday's game against the Minnesota Twins, the Mariners purchased the contract of 40-year-old catcher Pat Borders from Class AAA Tacoma of the Pacific Coast League.

To clear a roster spot, Seattle optioned struggling catcher Ben Davis to Tacoma.

Borders, who turns 41 on May 14, was hitting just .233 with two home runs and four RBIs in 14 games with the Rainiers this season. The 1992 World Series MVP with Toronto, he also has played for Kansas City, Houston, St. Louis, California, the Chicago White Sox, Cleveland and Seattle during a 22-year professional career.

Borders played 21 games with the Mariners between 2001-03, including 12 games last season. In his four starts, Seattle pitchers compiled a 1.43 ERA.

Davis, 27, is 3-for-33 with two RBIs in 14 games this season.

Our offense sucks ass as it is - we don't need some .085-hitting sloth to clog it up worse.

If you want a s***ty-hitting catcher who can be "good defensively" but who hits for jack s*** - then sign Paul Bako away from the Cubs.

If Ben Davis ever hits .250 in the majors again, I'll personally pay for a f*cking carnival celebration. I'll even throw a party. I don't care if a catcher is the best defensive catcher in the history of MLB, he has to at least hit Callista Flockhart's weight (.125) or he's worthless.

Period - new paragraph.

Ben Davis sucks. I mean REALLY sucks.