Joe Borchard Optioned to Charlotte

Chisoxfn

Joe Borchard Optioned to Charlotte

By Jason Gage

July 18, 2004

FutureSox.com

The Chicago White Sox optioned right fielder Joe Borchard to Charlotte on Sunday, following the White Sox game versus the Oakland A's. The move doesn't come as a surprise, since earlier in the day the White Sox acquired outfielder/designated hitter Carl Everett from the Montreal Expos in exchange for pitchers Jon Rauch and Gary Majewski.

The Charlotte Knights get Borchard back, which will provide a much needed boost to the Knights offense, which has been hampered by injuries. The Knights will also call up at least one more pitcher. Reliever Jeff Bajenaru tops our list as the most deserving player of the promotion and we will see in the next day or two, who the Knights call up.

Borchard had 19 at bats since being called up to Chicago and hit .158. However, he had 13 of his at bats against left handed pitching, which meant he had to hit from the right side, his weaker side. Borchard won't use it as an excuse, but Ozzie Guillen had some regret that they didn't get to see Borchard from his natural left side as much.

In the few at bats he had from the left side, Borchard looked much more comfortable and lose at the plate, then he did in years past with the Sox. He shouldn't be dissapointed by the demotion, and still has a bright future in the organization.

Borchard was hitting .267 with 16 HR and 48 RBI in Charlotte this year. He was drafted in the 1st round of the 2000 draft by the Chicago White Sox out of the University of Stanford. Since then he had the weight of the organization placed on his shoudlers. He has had some ups and downs, but this season he has impressed at times and given the Sox the hope that he will one day come close to their dreams.

I really did think he looked a whole lot more comfortable. His swing seemed a lot smoother, still long, but definately smoother. He hit the ball hard too, I think it was Saturday where he could of just as well had 3 hits compared to 1.

He may need to give up the whole switch hitting thing though.

Joe actually didnt strikeout as much as I thought he would. Im 19 ab's I would have said at least 9k's, but he really made contact . It was just right at people.

He didn't strike out, but he didn't hit many deep fly balls either. Where was the power? He looked like a slow average hitter out there. I've given up on him a long time ago. It's time for everyone else to see the light. He goes 3-19 and some of you guys are making excuses for him. It's time to stop making excuses for him and let him earn your respect instead of just thinking that he still has a chance.

He didn't strike out, but he didn't hit many deep fly balls either. Where was the power? He looked like a slow average hitter out there. I've given up on him a long time ago. It's time for everyone else to see the light. He goes 3-19 and some of you guys are making excuses for him. It's time to stop making excuses for him and let him earn your respect instead of just thinking that he still has a chance.

I agree. I'm not giving up on him by any means, but, atleast batting RH, he looked quite overmatched.

With that long swing of his, he needs to work on timing his swing, knowing what pitchers throw, knowing when they throw it, and how hard they throw it. Either that or shorten it up considerably more.

He actually batted better RH'ed while he was up...

He also hit for a better average RH'ed in Charlotte this season, though with less power.

I do remember him hitting a damn missle off of Redman yesterday, and right away, I thought it was a hit. That s*** hung up there like I didn't believe.

If he ever figures s*** out in the majors, he will hit some pop-fly homers that end up going 400+ feet. He definately can hit the s*** out of the ball.

the most disturbing thing about the Borchard situation is that the White Sox haven't learned anything from it.

Don't draft football players.

They're too far behind on the developmental curve.

Yet we drafted Josh Fields and he makes Borchard look like Tony Gwynn.

93 at bats at Winston Salem with 35 whiffs.

I don't care if it is his first month in pro ball, that's dreadful.

just like Henson, Quincy Carter, Chris Weinke, Josh Booty and all the rest, the college football players just don't get it done in pro baseball.

the most disturbing thing about the Borchard situation is that the White Sox haven't learned anything from it.

Don't draft football players.

They're too far behind on the developmental curve.

Yet we drafted Josh Fields and he makes Borchard look like Tony Gwynn.

93 at bats at Winston Salem with 35 whiffs.

I don't care if it is his first month in pro ball, that's dreadful.

just like Henson, Quincy Carter, Chris Weinke, Josh Booty and all the rest, the college football players just don't get it done in pro baseball.

Frank Thomas? :huh

there are plenty of people who played college football and went on to play pro baseball.. its not everyone..