Mystery Creature Lurks In Central Maryland

Queen Prawn

Mystery Creature Lurks In Central Maryland

Almost reminds me of drawings of horse ancestors from prehistoric times that I have seen. :unsure:

GLYNDON, Md. -- A mystery animal has been spotted in Baltimore County and not even the experts can pin down what it is.

A Glyndon man found a way to secretly record the beast while it grazed in his yard. For a while it was just lurking in the woods watching the Wroe family until the Wroes started watching it.

Jay Wroe: "My truck was parked here, started getting in my truck. I kind of saw it there where the sunlight is and said what in the world is that?"

Jacob Wroe: "It looked so weird to me. I didn't know what it was."

Wanting to get a better look at the beast stalking his family, Jay Wroe put technology to work for him.

Jay Wroe: "The next day, I hooked up just portable motion detectors, and put them down back in the woods there."

The trap worked.

Jay Wroe: "Very bizarre. I went and got my father and cousin and they came and looked at it and their reactions were pretty much the same -- what in the world are we looking at?"

Pictures Of The Unusual Creature In Maryland

More than a month after the first sighting, the creature has become a neighborhood regular and showing up often.

Glyndon mystery creature

Kim Carlsen: "It comes to our house. It's been up in the woods for a while and it comes up through the bottom of our yard and eats our cat food."

Despite the fact it's lurking in these woods and no one knows when or where it will come out, no one here seems afraid of it.

Jacob Wroe: "I don't know, it doesn't look like it's going to harm anybody."

Even the other neighborhood animals like Bullwinkle the dog next door seem okay with the beast.

Kim Carlsen: "It's not afraid of the cats and the cats seem to get along with it fine."

The beast is not shy, and visits most often under bright sun. While no one here knows what it is, they do have a name for it -- the hyote, a combination of a hyena and a coyote.

3545552_120X90.jpg

That's weird as hell if it's on the level. My somewhat educated guess without knowing the source was Maryland would have been that the the images are absolutely of a spotted hyena (Crocuta crocuta). The round ears are a good way to distinguish this one from the other three hyenas (striped, brown, aardwolf) which all have more pointed ears.

hyena1.gif

-- Spotted hyena --

This image of the purported Maryland animal in particular looks like it's a spotted hyena:

3545314.jpg

So what's it doing in Maryland?? IF(!) the story is on the level, a zoo escape or escape from an exotic animal collector is most likely. It is NOT a hybrid of a hyena with a domestic dog since they're not even canids (hyenas are actually more closely related to cats than dogs - strange but true).

It could also be a really really ungly, mangy dog I guess. If the story is on the level and if the animal is such a frequent visitor, it would certainlybe easy enough to get a sample for DNA testing. It would be leaving hair near the bowls of cat food it is supposedly eating, and if there are intact follicles you could use that and not even need blood or saliva.

Mystery Animal Possibly Spotted Again In Maryland

JOPPA, Md. -- There may be more than one mystery animal running around Maryland; there are now pictures from a second sighting in Harford County.

At the Mathis family's rural home in Joppa, they're used to animals, but not this kind.

"I looked out the window and I saw something drinking out of the water trough," said Lisa Mathis. "It looked like something out of Lord of The Rings."

"I couldn't figure out what it was," Mathis said. "I though it was a dog and then I looked closer and then I got the camera and pulled it in closer just so I could show the rest of the family."

Mathis's sighting occurred about a year ago. They didn't think much of it until last week when home video of a very similar looking beast appeared on WBAL-TV in Baltimore.

"I saw it and immediately though of this picture that my wife had taken," said Jon Mathis. "(It) looked exactly like the same animal."

On their Harford County land the Mathises have seen all kinds of foxes and other animals running around, but never one like this.

"I'm from New Jersey so I immediately thought it was the Jersey Devil," said Jon Mathis. "In New Jersey folklore, it's a wild beast -- sort of like the abominable snowman."

"My first impression was this was a red fox with sarcoptic mange," said Paul Peditto from the Department of Natural Resources.

With theories running wild, Maryland's Department of Natural Resources says it's very likely a fox, but even they can't be certain.

"We can't discount the possibility that someone had some type of exotic mammal as a pet and released it for whatever reason," said Peditto.

But even with maybe more than one so-called hyote running loose, DNR is going to leave the beast or beasts alone for now.

"We would respond if we knew we had a public safety situation developing," said Peditto. "If we had an animal that was acting in a way that would put people in danger, we would respond immediately."

The only way to find out what the animal is would be to trap it, but DNR says it would only do that if the animal were seen as a threat.

3558702.jpg

Wait a minute. Let's put two and two together. No reports at all until recently. Sox4lifeinPA is in Texas -- No reports.

Sox4lifeinPA goes in tour and the sightings start.

I think PA may be at the root of this. :lol:

I do miss his posts.