2004 Heroes

Texsox

Hero saves life at 33,000 feet

A NORTHERN Territory doctor was last night hailed a hero after saving a heart attack victim's life in a mid-air drama.

Warehouse worker Tom Brander said he would have died if Royal Darwin Hospital medical superintendent Len Notaras had not rushed to his aid.

"He saved my life - it's as simple as that," he said.

Police Rescue Caught On Tape

The end of a dramatic chase in Green Bay, Wis., is caught Monday on a police dashboard camera.

The chase ends with a female suspect being pulled to safety by a police officer.

The suspect is described as a 36-year-old woman.

Authorities say she ran from police at speeds approaching 100 mph before stopping on the Leo Frigo Bridge.

She exited the car and walked to the edge.

State trooper Les Bolt quickly closed in and grabbed the woman just as she threw herself over the side.

He pulled the woman back and was able to hold on until help arrived.

Two more officers helped pull her back to safety.

Bolt received minor injuries in the scuffle.

The woman was taken to a local hospital to be examined.

Better writing of the story:

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- A state trooper saved a woman's life by holding onto her arm as she tried to plunge off the side of a bridge in a scene captured on a squad car video camera.

After a brief chase, the suicidal woman pulled onto the Leo Frigo Memorial Bridge, got out of her car and walked straight to the edge. Trooper Les Boldt rushed over, grabbed her right arm and hung on with both hands.

"When I first got a hold of her, she went over and my feet slipped a little bit and I squatted down and stuck my knees into the barrier," said Boldt, 34. "I had to hunker down so I didn't get pulled over myself."

For a few moments, both their lives hung in the balance about 200 feet over the Fox River.

After hanging onto the 36-year-old woman for 16 seconds, Boldt was joined by Brown County Sheriff's Sgt. Bill Morgan, who grabbed the woman's other arm. A third deputy helped them hoist her over the wall.

The trooper had been following the woman on Interstate 43 at speeds up to 105 mph after authorities received a call to check on her welfare.

She apparently was suffering from postpartum depression and her family was worried she might be suicidal.

On the bridge, the woman's fall was interrupted by a blue steel bridge support just below the concrete barrier, and Boldt said he might not have been able to hang on long enough if the beam hadn't been there.

But the woman continued fighting Boldt after he had her arm, clawing at his grip on her wrist.

The woman was taken to Aurora BayCare Medical Center with minor injuries.

Boldt suffered scratches and shrugged off suggestions that he did anything out of the ordinary, although he said it was the most eventful day he's ever had.

Police Rescue Caught On Tape

The end of a dramatic chase in Green Bay, Wis., is caught Monday on a police dashboard camera.

The chase ends with a female suspect being pulled to safety by a police officer.

The suspect is described as a 36-year-old woman.

Authorities say she ran from police at speeds approaching 100 mph before stopping on the Leo Frigo Bridge.

She exited the car and walked to the edge.

State trooper Les Bolt quickly closed in and grabbed the woman just as she threw herself over the side.

He pulled the woman back and was able to hold on until help arrived.

Two more officers helped pull her back to safety.

Bolt received minor injuries in the scuffle.

The woman was taken to a local hospital to be examined.

I even saw that on the news down here. Stupid lady was grabbing onto a pole even when the policeman was trying to pull her back up. :headshake

M*A*S*H Opening Song, gee I wonder why they didn't play the lyrics?

Through Early morning fog I see

Visions of the things to be

The pains that are withheld for me

I realize and I can see

(chorus)

That Suicide is Painless

It brings on many changes

And I can take or leave it if I please

Try to find a way to make

All our little joys relate

Without that ever present hate

But now I know that it's too late