Cycling vs. Nascar

Is Nascar or Cycling more of a sport?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Is Nascar or Cycling more of a sport?

• Cycling
    • Nascar
    • Neither

I now a bunch that travel to see the White Sox play. College football fans travel a lot to see their teams play. I definately don't think there are more people that enjoy or are a fan of NASCAR than baseball or football.

l also think pro wrestling outdraws all of them. Is pro wrestling a sport? I think not. I think they get so much s*** for it because of the stereotypes surrounding it. All of the people that I know that like it do fit that stereotype. That and they keep on wanting to push it and claim it as a sport when it really shouldn't be classified as one. Classify it as anything else they want and if they enjoy it then they shouldn't care what it is classified as, so I don't know why many of them feel the need to push it as a sport.

Yeah Steff, and like millions of people travel to go to church every weekend, I bet church is attended even more attended than nascar. But church isn't a sport, is it? Noo. Therefore, nascar is not a sport. :fight

:huh:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Steff, and like millions of people travel to go to church every weekend, I bet church is attended even more attended than nascar.  But church isn't a sport, is it? Noo. Therefore, nascar is not a sport.  :fight

Now how did that make sense? By travel I don't mean going to Sox Park. I mean going to Detroit, Cleveland, Minnesota, New York, Oakland. Tons of people do it.

Now how did that make sense? By travel I don't mean going to Sox Park. I mean going to Detroit, Cleveland, Minnesota, New York, Oakland. Tons of people do it.

I travel to Pennsylvania every weekend to go to church, are you saying im not as dedicated as a baseball fan?

I travel to Pennsylvania every weekend to go to church, are you saying im not as dedicated as a baseball fan?

Am I saying that NASCAR fans are not as dedicated as baseball fans? Am I saying that NASCAR is not a sport because of fan dedication or attendance? What are you talking about? I don't think you know how we got on the subject of attendance or what I am even talking about when it comes to attendance between the sports. You are assuming things that I am talking about and that is not good.

Apparently you know nothing about driving in NASCAR.

I still don't understand why so many shorts are in a wad over it.  I can't stand basketball or golf, but panties don't get in a twist over it...

Here's what I do know...NASCAR is a "redneck sport".

It takes very little athletic ability to drive a racecar in a circle. You can be a 300 lb slob, and still be a NASCAR driver...all you have to be able to do is fit in the car, the car itself does most of the work!

It takes very little athletic ability to drive a racecar in a circle. You can be a 300 lb slob, and still be a NASCAR driver...all you have to be able to do is fit in the car, the car itself does most of the work!

I guess Brian and I are rednecks then. Whatever makes you sleep better at night. :huh

For a guy who gets mad about stereotypes you sure like to throw them at other people

I now a bunch that travel to see the White Sox play. College football fans travel a lot to see their teams play. I definately don't think there are more people that enjoy or are a fan of NASCAR than baseball or football.

l also think pro wrestling outdraws all of them. Is pro wrestling a sport? I think not. I think they get so much s*** for it because of the stereotypes surrounding it. All of the people that I know that like it do fit that stereotype. That and they keep on wanting to push it and claim it as a sport when it really shouldn't be classified as one. Classify it as anything else they want and if they enjoy it then they shouldn't care what it is classified as, so I don't know why many of them feel the need to push it as a sport.

I don't feel the need to push NASCAR as a sport. I think more people feel the need to clasify it as a non-sport.

Anytime we start a thread on here, someone always hijacks the thread and asks, 'Why is this in "The Sports Bar?"" It gets old. Someone said earlier, if you don't like it, stay away!

Yeah Steff, and like millions of people travel to go to church every weekend, I bet church is attended even more attended than nascar.  But church isn't a sport, is it? Noo. Therefore, nascar is not a sport.  :fight

That's just plain stupid and totally ignores Steff's point, which was answering a previou question about the media calling Auot Racing the Number 1 spectator sport.

Yee haw, mothf***er! :fyou

For a guy who gets mad about stereotypes you sure like to throw them at other people

If anyone has ever done or read anything about the demographics of NASCAR fans, I am sure you will not find a whole lot of African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, etc.

NASCAR began in the Southern US, and it's fan base is primarily Southern white males.

I apologize for using the term "rednecks", it was insensitive, and I did not wish to offend anyone.

If anyone has ever done or read anything about the demographics of NASCAR fans, I am sure you will not find a whole lot of African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, etc.

NASCAR began in the Southern US, and it's fan base is primarily Southern white males.

I apologize for using the term "rednecks", it was insensitive, and I did not wish to offend anyone.

Apology accepted, but I think you're wrong.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. ;)

A couple weeks ago, I heard Boers and Bernstein on WSCR talking about the origins of NASCAR...they said it originated by southern bootleggers driving souped up cars to outrun the law.

I don't know if this is true, but, it does make sense.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.    ;)

A couple weeks ago, I heard Boers and Bernstein on WSCR talking about the origins of NASCAR...they said it originated by southern bootleggers driving souped up cars to outrun the law.

Yes, it's true. I have yet to hear how it evolved into what it is today, but I've heard that story many many times.

Snip..

I don't know why many of them feel the need to push it as a sport.

I don't know anyone who preaches about something so much that they claim to dislike so much...

Why don't you just worry about the things that you consider a sport and leave the 90 million people that like NASCAR alone?

;) rolleyeyes.gif

I don't know anyone who preaches about something so much that they claim to dislike so much...

Why don't you just worry about the things that you consider a sport and leave the 90 million people that like NASCAR alone?

;) rolleyeyes.gif

:headbang :headbang :headbang

That's just plain stupid and totally ignores Steff's point, which was answering a previou question about the media calling Auot Racing the Number 1 spectator sport.

Which... according to ESPN, is a fact.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.    ;)

Organized racing actually started on the beaches down in Florida.

;) rolleyeyes.gif

Pet peeve. 90 million in attendance, doesn't mean 90 million people go to NASCAR...

Carry on. :)

Pet peeve.  90 million in attendance, doesn't mean 90 million people go to NASCAR...

Carry on. :)

OK.. a lot more than 90 million then since it's likely that most of those redneck fans don't have the scratch to travel to the races.

Carry on.