The truth about your water

southsider2k5

Man you have all the cool toys.  When I grow up, I wanna be like you guys. :lol:

I have a water filter I think I am going to install like yours, except we don't have basements in North Texas. :D

Personal preference. When I saw the tests it disgusted me. Over time (within 3 months) the water bleached clothes (from all the chlorine), it irritates some people's skin, it causes some people to have stomach problems, and chronic sore throats.. the list is endless.

But if you're serious, we got an AquaTiva system, which was a bit expensive, but worth it for us.

IMO...Chicago does a great job of filtering it's water. I have no qualms drinking it or letting my baby drink it either.

And for the second time.. believe what you want. Have them come out and test it if you're so sure. I know they do it for free.

Personal preference. When I saw the tests it disgusted me. Over time (within 3 months) the water bleached clothes (from all the chlorine), it irritates some people's skin, it causes some people to have stomach problems, and chronic sore throats.. the list is endless.

But if you're serious, we got an AquaTiva system, which was a bit expensive, but worth it for us.

We looked at one, I forget the maker, for our new house. I decided that I didn't have the money right now - until we close on the house and all that.

I hate the water here. It's not as chlorinated as what it is in the midwest but if I can taste the algae taste in my water, I need a filter. At the apartment we have just the pur deal and that does a pretty good job, but I would like to have a real water filter system...

Since the water is not as chlorine enriched here, I think we're fine with what we have as far as washing clothes and all that. I remember that the water in Chicago has that "bleachy" edge to it. It's not bad to drink, just tastes different then it does here.

I don't know how clean Chicago water is or is not but my uncle-in-law has worked for the water reclamation district (sp?) for 20-30 years (possibly more) and he and his family drink it...

Even just 10 years ago there were less than half the chemicals in the water that there is now. My grandmother who has all her life been a tap water drinker still drinks it. She's used to it. She also just found out she has liver disease. And she does not drink alcohol.

Even just 10 years ago there were less than half the chemicals in the water that there is now. My grandmother who has all her life been a tap water drinker still drinks it. She's used to it. She also just found out she has liver disease. And she does not drink alcohol.

And my great-grandmother was 97 when she died, drinking chicago water for about 80 years of her life...I guess it affects everyone differently. :huh

And my great-grandmother was 97 when she died, drinking chicago water for about 80 years of her life...I guess it affects everyone differently.  :huh

Apparently I wasn't clear... let me try again.

In the past 5 to 7 years is when the very harmful additives have been added to the filtration system at an alarming rate. Ask your uncle how much chlorine is added to a cycle (which is about 250K gallons). It's about 200 lbs. My spa on my deck holds about 10K gallons of water.. I add a tablet the size of a silver $ (which weighs maybe 1/4th a lb) every 10 days or so and it still reaks like chlorine by the time I put the next one in. Chlorine is not good and over time will do serious damage to a person who drinks a lot of water on a daily basis.

I know I'm chiming in late here but, I would have a real issue drinking tap water in the middle of a major city. Sure it's filtered plenty, I have toured a few water plants because I sat on The Bow River Basin Water council. But the level of chlorine and perhaps more frightening aluminum, nesecessary to meet code is alarming. I am blessed because I live over one of the largest natural aquafers in the country which gives us very clean ground water that we further treat with U.V. technology so we don't need much chlorine at all. I can taste the difference when I go anywhere else though, it's generally pretty offensive.

Man you have all the cool toys.  When I grow up, I wanna be like you guys. :lol:

I have a water filter I think I am going to install like yours, except we don't have basements in North Texas. :D

Or in South Texas. Down here there are three options. Install a whole house Reverse Osmosis filter, have water delivered, or fill them yourself at several different vendors. Basically water filter kiosks.

I have a home water cooler for cooking and drinking water.

This past week, in the Davis Mountains of West Texas, I drank directly from a spring, at the exact point it bubbled from the ground. It is the finest, best tasting water in the universe.

For all of the Chicago area posters...there is a forest preserve not far from O'Hare (either on Irving Park or Addison) between Harlem and Cumberland. On the south side of the street, there is a hand pump, where you can pump the best tasting water anywhere.

There are ususally cars parked there in line, filling gallon water bottles to take home with them.

Check it out.

If you want good tap water in the chicago land area, move to western springs. I think its one of the few suburbs that uses its own water supply (the name tells you where it comes from). Living in Western Springs, I didn't like going to restraunts in the neighboring towns because lake michigan water doesn't compare.

Anyway, now we have one of those filtrations systems steff was talking about because I don't trust New Jersey water. Too many decaying bodies and GE chemicals in the water :lol:

I think I am just going to move to Love Canal New York so I don't have to worry about bad water.