1st round pick curse...

Palehosefan

Take a look at our last 11 1st round picks before this year. Not a single one has become a star for us or even contributed a whole lot. Lets hope Brian and Josh can break that streak. 4-5 years ago I used to think we had amazing scouts, now I'm not so sure they aren't just average. Yes I realize that 1st round picks are the picks that show the least about the scouts. The later picks are a true measure of the scouting ability. But you would have to think we would atleast luck into a star with one of our first round picks. I also realize that bad luck has come into play with injuries to Honel and Stumm. But those picks were just disturbing to me. Maybe its just me.

1992 Eddie Pearson

1993 Scott Christman

1994 Mark Johnson

1995 Jeff Liefer

1996 *Bobby Seay

1997 Jason Dellaero

1998 Kip Wells

1999 Jason Stumm

2000 Joe Borchard

2001 Kris Honel

2002 Royce Ring

2003 Brian Anderson

One thing to say is that Kip Wells was agood first round pick. He's had some sucess at the major league level, even if it wasn't with the White Sox.

However, I am with you, hopefully the Sox can start getting production out of their 1st round picks. At the same time, they haven't had a really high one in a long time.

I am really excited about Brian Anderson though.

I read somewhere recently that only 15% of first rounders "contribute" at the major league level...

I don't remember what "contribute" entitled, but with Wells contributings to the Pirates, and others still having the verdict out, our system is about average.

To add to what Jason said, Borchard is the highest pick on that list... It's not like its riddled with Josh Hamiltons