Baseball Brawls

Jim Fainter

I just saw Vladdie G for the Expo's and Brad Penny of the Marlins go at it. Pretty good for ST. Vladdie did not let go of the bat, wonder what will happen to him? I think those two guys were teammates for a while.

Whenever I see a player hold a bat like that, I think of that old bat fight between Juan Marichal and John Roseboro. Willie Mays actually broke it up.

There have been some dandies over the years. Some of the other most memorable (remember, I'm an old guy) include some really good Sox brawls. One was where Walt Dropo got into it with Enos Slaughter of the Yankees. Pretty one-sided fight, but I remember Slaughter going back to the dugout after the fight with his shirt torn off, hat on backwards, and a bloody face. Another great Sox Yankee fight had Larry Doby of the Sox hitting Art Ditmar of the Yanks with the most perfect left hook anyone has ever seen on a baseball field. Ditmar was covering home on a wild pitch, and Larry got revenge for an earlier brush back pitch.

I just saw Vladdie G for the Expo's and Brad Penny of the Marlins go at it.  Pretty good for ST.  Vladdie did not let go of the bat, wonder what will happen to him?  I think those two guys were teammates for a while.

Whenever I see a player hold a bat like that, I think of that old bat fight between Juan Marichal and John Roseboro.  Willie Mays actually broke it up.

There have been some dandies over the years. Some of the other most memorable (remember, I'm an old guy) include some really good Sox brawls.  One was where Walt Dropo got into it with Enos Slaughter of the Yankees.  Pretty one-sided fight, but I remember Slaughter going back to the dugout after the fight with his shirt torn off, hat on backwards, and a bloody face.  Another great Sox Yankee fight had Larry Doby of the Sox hitting Art Ditmar of the Yanks with the most perfect left hook anyone has ever seen on a baseball field.  Ditmar was covering home on a wild pitch, and Larry got revenge for an earlier brush back pitch.

My favorite brawl that I've seen in my lifetime (I'm 22) was the brawl a few years back between the O's and Yankees. It started and stopped like 3 times, and ended up spilling into the dugout. I'd say it lasted for a good 10 minutes -- that's longer than most heavyweight fights nowadays. :D

No mention of the Tigers-Sox bout in 2000?  That brawl got our streak going.

If that kind of thing propels the Sox....let's hope it happens again.

mariotti said that was the most memorable fight in baseball on around the horn today

No mention of the Tigers-Sox bout in 2000?  That brawl got our streak going.

I don't like brawls but that one caught my eye - Sunday afternoon, tv on, doing other stuff and suddenly the fight caught my attention, and like the Energizer Bunnny it kept going and going and going - I never saw anything like it.

It not only got the team fired up, it did the same for me. The following weekend the Sox played at Comerica and I made the trip - which I otherwise wouldn't have done - to support our team in that particular hostile territory. That was the trip where I met Parque, PK, and Siro, as well as imadman* and family.

Anyway, Eldred won 2-1 that day and as I watched that team I thought that they had a certain something going for them that I had never seen before on a WS team, couldn't define it, but I let my Chicago buddies know that this was a very special team.

*imadman doesn't post here but is well known to the tail gate crowd - and the most knowledgable Sox and baseball fan I know as well as a sweet guy with a great wife and wonderful kids. The only fan I know near imadman's knowledge level is HSC, and Michelle, you can't b**** about that statment when you are down 0-2 in the trivia contest! :lol:

Guest hotsoxchick1

the trivia .. i have lost interest, and the donkey boy is in school and busy so i go easy on him........besides i beat out rps lol.....

ok, but what I am saying that you and imadman are incredibly expert on baseball beyond the rest of us and he has such a head for stats - sitting with either of you at a game is not only fun, it is also a seminar in the very best way

Could you all imagine the carnage..... both on the field and in the stands..... if a brawl broke out between the teams during one of the Cubs/Sox series?

on the field... in the stands... all over the city. That would be wicked. In fact, it might make MLB take another look at the "rivalry" series.

Naaaaahhhh.... Forget that last statement. Money talks.

Could you all imagine the carnage..... both on the field and in the stands..... if a brawl broke out between the teams during one of the Cubs/Sox series?

If such were to happen - and we know how easily it could spread into the stands and in bars around the city - it would make us in Chicago look like a bunch of hooligans on an English soccer scale and like a city full of Ligues. I hope it never happens that way.

No mention of the Tigers-Sox bout in 2000?  That brawl got our streak going.

I don't like brawls but that one caught my eye - Sunday afternoon, tv on, doing other stuff and suddenly the fight caught my attention, and like the Energizer Bunnny it kept going and going and going - I never saw anything like it.

It not only got the team fired up, it did the same for me. The following weekend the Sox played at Comerica and I made the trip - which I otherwise wouldn't have done - to support our team in that particular hostile territory. That was the trip where I met Parque, PK, and Siro, as well as imadman* and family.

Anyway, Eldred won 2-1 that day and as I watched that team I thought that they had a certain something going for them that I had never seen before on a WS team, couldn't define it, but I let my Chicago buddies know that this was a very special team.

*imadman doesn't post here but is well known to the tail gate crowd - and the most knowledgable Sox and baseball fan I know as well as a sweet guy with a great wife and wonderful kids. The only fan I know near imadman's knowledge level is HSC, and Michelle, you can't b**** about that statment when you are down 0-2 in the trivia contest! :lol:

i love brawls. it is great fun to watch. i saw on in seattle a couple years ago against detroit. and everyone was fighting. cecil fielder(for those of you who dont remeber is a huge black guy. comes running out on the field after everyone else is already there buckling up his pants on the run o wow that was great.