music

hi8is

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
Yeah, the Genius album from 1991 and some of his verses on the Wu Tang debut are amazing, but otherwise, it's for the kiddies.  I can't figure out who is more pathetic: Raekwon or Ghostface Killah?  All of their lyrics were inspired by mafia movies.  They suck hard

But RZA is a legendary producer, so maybe you like the beats first and foremost.  I have the instrumental LP for their first album (limited to only 100 copies I think), and it's unbelievably good.

blasphemy blasphemy, Gza's liquid swords is fantastic, Ghostface Killah has the best flow and rhyme schemes of anyone solo from Wu Tang, and on this album he raps about being beaten as a kid.

i wish i had that. I only go to one record store here in mizzou...it's great for gems like the Sonic youth SYRs and stuff but its hip hop selection sucks. Ill look in vain for that.

i love the mixing of the kung fu...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
Yeah, the Genius album from 1991 and some of his verses on the Wu Tang debut are amazing, but otherwise, it's for the kiddies.  I can't figure out who is more pathetic: Raekwon or Ghostface Killah?  All of their lyrics were inspired by mafia movies.  They suck hard

But RZA is a legendary producer, so maybe you like the beats first and foremost.  I have the instrumental LP for their first album (limited to only 100 copies I think), and it's unbelievably good.

What?? You didn't like Ironman and Supreme Clientele? What about Only Built 4 Cuban Linx?? Enter the 36 chambers?? I am assuming you are talking about all solo joints and the wu albums.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
:headbang

Dude, why are you even bothering with hip hop from this year?  The genre has been dead since the late 90s.  Do you have the Krown Rulers repress from 1988?  I tracked down their album on cassette back in the mid-90s, and I eventually got the original wax (appeared to be mint but with pops and clicks everywhere and s***ty sound due to tracks truncated on a single record).  It has finally been repressed!  That is the one you want, man.  Seriously, run (don't walk) to sandbox automatic and pick that up.  If Rakim is your favorite, you'll want to give me oral sex after hearing the "Paper Chase" LP.

1. I love MF Doom

2. No, where is this "sandbox automatic?" is it a place, or am i just lame.

3. Um...i'm a man. well...i'm a male at least.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
You can still find good hip hop around. I guess you're not really excited about some of the albums that should come out this year. For example Madvillain 2

I love early KMD (1990-1992) and Madlib (1993-2002) is one of my favorite producers of all time, but I can't put up with any of the stuff that they've been releasing nowadays. When Madlib fell off in 2002, I pretty much stopped listening to any new hip hop & I started focusing on dub reggae (1973-1975) and various other forms of reggae (soul, roots, etc).

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
1. I love MF Doom

2. No, where is this "sandbox automatic?" is it a place, or am i just lame.

3. Um...i'm a man. well...i'm a male at least.

Sandbox Automatic is pretty much the top internet site for hip hop:

Sandbox Automatic

The only problem is that they're kind of slow to get orders out.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
I love early KMD (1990-1992) and Madlib (1993-2002) is one of my favorite producers of all time, but I can't put up with any of the stuff that they've been releasing nowadays.  When Madlib fell off in 2002, I pretty much stopped listening to any new hip hop & I started focusing on dub reggae (1973-1975) and various other forms of reggae (soul, roots, etc).

I think you're overreacting. Common's BE was great, Little Brother, Blackalicious. There's still good hip hop out.

EDIT: I highly recommend People Under The Stairs if you're looking for good hip hop.

Edited by Whitewashed in '05

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
I love early KMD (1990-1992) and Madlib (1993-2002) is one of my favorite producers of all time, but I can't put up with any of the stuff that they've been releasing nowadays.  When Madlib fell off in 2002, I pretty much stopped listening to any new hip hop & I started focusing on dub reggae (1973-1975) and various other forms of reggae (soul, roots, etc).

granted The mouse and the Mask was the so infinitely terrible...but madlib and mf doom just works madlibs ADD, mf dooms flow. Quasimoto pipin in. It'll be classic.

and Cannibal Ox, i totally forgot they are coming out with a new album this year. I can't wait. ONe of the few hip hop acts with lyrics that matter.

and what happened to saul williams? Where is that guy.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
I think you're overreacting. Common's BE was great, Little Brother, Blackalicious. There's still good hip hop out.

EDIT: I highly recommend People Under The Stairs if you're looking for good hip hop.

and Edan! damn i love edan. Rock and Roll was so great...a hip hop song with references to Velvet Underground. I love that guy. Plus his album cover was sweet.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
Sandbox Automatic is pretty much the top internet site for hip hop:

Sandbox Automatic

The only problem is that they're kind of slow to get orders out.

i owe you one. I have to wait for my paycheck, so i might not get it for a while but when i do i'll def. let you know.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:08 PM)
Gza's liquid swords is fantastic

I have the instrumental LP for this one as well.

Yep, Genius actually had some lyrics. He was kind of a misfit in the Wu Tang Clan.

Ghostface had good rhyme schemes and flows, but I can say the same for a gang of dudes who write immediate gratification type lyrics. You know, the kind of stuff that a white boy can't really relate to. :D

Yep, I'm more of a "5 Elements" guy or whatever. I like battle lyrics, but I don't like lyrics inspired by "The Godfather" or "Scarface". I can't really relate to "Ghetto Life" or "Thug Life" lyrics because I simply wasn't raised that type (name that Gift of Gab tune). That means I hate Nas, but I have all of the Large Professor instrumentals from "Illmatic", as he is easily my favorite hip hop producer of all time.

My favorites (in the prime of their careers, that is): KRS ONE, Kool Keith, De La Soul, Rakim, Organized Konfusion, RUN DMC, Main Source, Hijack, The Entire Juice Crew (Biz Markie, Kool G Rap, Craig G, Master Ace, Kane, etc), Krown Rulers, T LA Rock, Aceyalone & The Freestyle Fellowship, the Hieroglyphics crew (Del, SOM, Pep, Casual), All Things Madlib (Bootlegs, Instrumentals, Quasimoto, Jazz Covers, etc), The Solesides Crew (Gift Of Gab, DJ Shadow, Latyrx), etc.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
and Edan! damn i love edan. Rock and Roll was so great...a hip hop song with references to Velvet Underground. I love that guy. Plus his album cover was sweet.

Hey, I have Edan's first two albums from 1997/1998. I don't know if they were ever officially released. Good stuff. Kevin Beacham (Time Travel Host) sent me both of them, as he's good friends with Edan.

And of course, I forgot to mention the legendary lyricist Percee P in my previous post (Edan's hero).

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
Hey, I have Edan's first two albums from 1997/1998.  I don't know if they were ever officially released.  Good stuff.  Kevin Beacham (Time Travel Host) sent me both of them, as he's good friends with Edan.

And of course, I forgot to mention the legendary lyricist Percee P in my previous post (Edan's hero).

i gotta get on this stuff. (like get on acquiring it)

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
Blackalicious.

Yep, I'll never forget when the Melodica EP came out in 1994. That's all that I listened to for that entire summer. I love me some Gift Of Gab.

However, after "Nia" came out in 1998 (half good, half terrible), everything else that I purchased kind of struck me as crap.

But I love the Gift Of Gab if we're talking about his entire catalog from 1993-1998, including some classic bootlegs (live private club gigs).

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
Yep, I'll never forget when the Melodica EP came out in 1994.  That's all that I listened to for that entire summer.  I love me some Gift Of Gab.

However, after "Nia" came out in 1998 (half good, half terrible), everything else that I purchased kind of struck me as crap. 

But I love the Gift Of Gab if we're talking about his entire catalog from 1993-1998, including some classic bootlegs (live private club gigs).

if i only have Endtroducing...what other DJ shadow is worth acquiring?

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
if i only have Endtroducing...what other DJ shadow is worth acquiring?

I think that "Preemptive Strike" is decent. I'm more a fan of the beats that he produced throughout the mid 90s, particularly the Blackalicious stuff. He also collaborated with DJ Krush on a few tracks in the Mo Wax days. Outstanding stuff.

Another one that you should look into if you like that Bay Area sound from 1992-1995:

Dereliks- "Change For The Bus Ride" 1994

They didn't actually release it until 10 years after the fact, but I had a bootleg tape for a while. They only released an EP in 1994.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
I think that "Preemptive Strike" is decent.  I'm more a fan of the beats that he produced throughout the mid 90s, particularly the Blackalicious stuff.  He also collaborated with DJ Krush on a few tracks in the Mo Wax days.  Outstanding stuff.

Another one that you should look into if you like that Bay Area sound from 1992-1995:

Dereliks- "Change For The Bus Ride" 1994

They didn't actually release it until 10 years after the fact, but I had a bootleg tape for a while.  They only released an EP in 1994.

awesome...thanks HJ..i should say hammerhead actually, that looks too similar to the acronym for handjob.

OK, I just saw the Arctic Monkeys on SNL, and I'm completely unimpressed.

Something about "You'd look good on the dance floor". I'd rate it as "average".

Their image is nothing out of the ordinary either. They look like everyone else.

I don't understand the big whoop about them.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
OK, I just saw the Arctic Monkeys on SNL, and I'm completely unimpressed.

Something about "You'd look good on the dance floor". I'd rate it as "average".

Their image is nothing out of the ordinary either. They look like everyone else.

I don't understand the big whoop about them.

I saw it last night as well. I like the lead singers voice, I think he can do a lot with it, but they didnt have much in the way of stage presence last night. Are they all under 18 years old? And are they English or Aussie?

I TVo'ed it and will watch it later today. They are all either 19 or 20 years old. Supposedly, they all started playing their instruments only like 4 years ago. I like their record, they have potential, but I agree that the hysteria in the UK over them is confusing. Pretty sure they're English.

I was thinking about checking them out at Metro, but the show is all ages and it sold out in like minutes.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
its odd how similar the reactions to the arctic monkeys are. I mean this is no definitely maybe or up the bracket at all and they didn't have this much hype

How could they possibly live up to the hype? I think I'd be more excited about them if someone had simply said: hey listen to these kids, they're not bad. As opposed to: this record is the best seller for a debut in UK history. We all know better. High sales and quality music rarely go hand in hand any more.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 06:46 AM)
How could they possibly live up to the hype?  I think I'd be more excited about them if someone had simply said: hey listen to these kids, they're not bad.  As opposed to: this record is the best seller for a debut in UK history.    We all know better.  High sales and quality music rarely go hand in hand any more.

SUGAR WE'RE GOIN DOWN SWINGIN!

I was just thinking about Weezer's Pinkerton album. Because I was listening to it on the way to work today.

It kind of reminds me of PetSounds/Smile stuff in a way. Because it was Rivers really opening himself up and exposing himself on a CD to the rest of the world. It failed so badly, and the work was so misunderstood that the band just kinda disappeared for a while. And what came back just isn't as good. Or as personal.