music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)
What does everyone think about Dani California?

That's the new Chili Peppers song, right?

I've never liked them, so naturally I hate it.

The video was interesting the first time I saw it, but that kind of schticky video tends to get old in a hurry. I like how when they're "themselves" it's supposed to be better than the "old bands" they portray, but they look spastic hopping around to that mid-tempo lite-rock they do now.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
Hm..I've never seen the video.  I'm never watching those channels anymore, but I just heard it on the radio and I've been replaying the song quite a few times.

Like I said, you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt, because I've never been a fan of theirs.

On a different topic, I see that the Didjits have reunited and will play the Hideout Block Party in September. I may have to drag myself out there to see that.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
Like I said, you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt, because I've never been a fan of theirs.

On a different topic, I see that the Didjits have reunited and will play the Hideout Block Party in September. I may have to drag myself out there to see that.

The Didjits are back? Is this temporary or did Simms finally kill off The Gaza Strippers? I told you my connection to them, right?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
That's the new Chili Peppers song, right?

I've never liked them, so naturally I hate it.

The video was interesting the first time I saw it, but that kind of schticky video tends to get old in a hurry. I like how when they're "themselves" it's supposed to be better than the "old bands" they portray, but they look spastic hopping around to that mid-tempo lite-rock they do now.

Local H said it best

"And here we go again

It's never gonna end

We're all so sick of California songs

Yeah we know you love L.A. but

There's nothin' left to say

Please no more California songs

.....and f*** New York too"

:finger

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 07:40 PM)
The Didjits are back? Is this temporary or did Simms finally kill off The Gaza Strippers? I told you my connection to them, right?

Not sure if it's temporary or permanent. Just read it in Saturday's Sun-Times.

I'm sure you told me about it next to the campfire, but you have so many "war stories" that I tend to forget a lot of them. My advanced age, y'know..... :lol:

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
Local H said it best

"And here we go again

It's never gonna end

We're all so sick of California songs

Yeah we know you love L.A. but

There's nothin' left to say

Please no more California songs

.....and f*** New York too"

:finger

f***ing right. Local H is so much fun :headbang

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 08:48 AM)
Man, with all the love for those guys, maybe I need to give them another chance.

I have come to appreciate Local H much more because of thier shows. Completely off the wall straight up energy and fun. Nothing angry, just hectic and fun. Their CDs are ok, but nothing groundbreaking(although "take out the cats..." was pretty awesome). I once saw Local H at The Copper Dragon in Carbondale about 4 years ago for a halloween show, and the lead singer came out in a ape suit, and played the whole show with it on(without mask of course, then he couldnt sing). I thought he would complain about how hot he was at least once, but he just whipped us into a bigger frenzy and kept bringing up the tempo on the show. It was fantastic.

I also was seriously impressed with the lead singer(Scott) when I saw him playing guitar for another band a few years earlier, I believe the band was Fig Dish(opening for the Veruca Salt), they had a problem with one monitor, and the band broke out in an impromptu cover of GnR's "Sweet Child O' Mine", with Scott on lead vocals. The place was up for grabs, it was one of those songs where the entire building was singing the song. I will never forget that.

/end happy rant

The H is a ton of fun, especially live.

Scott also plays in Cisco Pike, who are great as well.

I've seen them three times at the Double Door Halloween show, too, and they never disappoint.

I think Scott Lukas is an underrated guitarist and songwriter.

My favorite H songs are Keep Your Girlfriend Away From Me and All The Kids Are Right.

WHOA, where did all the love for Local H come from suddenly? Nice.

Scott Lucas is Chicago's best kept secrets even though he's been on the scene for like 15 years and plays out all the time in lots of different outfits. At that Halloween bash, Local H Has played as: Nirvana, AC DC, Joan Jett, Bruce S, Hall and Oates etc, always funny and always good. They also did a GREAT cover of Brittney Spears 'Toxic' on their last record. TRUST ME, you have to hear it. Scott also DJs at Smart Bar every Sunday night and does solos acoustic sets here and there all the time.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
WHOA, where did all the love for Local H come from suddenly? Nice.

Scott Lucas is Chicago's best kept secrets even though he's been on the scene for like 15 years and plays out all the time in lots of different outfits.    At that Halloween bash, Local H Has played as:  Nirvana, AC DC, Joan Jett, Bruce S, Hall and Oates etc, always funny and always good.  They also did a GREAT cover of Brittney Spears 'Toxic' on their last record.  TRUST ME, you have to hear it.    Scott also DJs at Smart Bar every Sunday night and does solos acoustic sets here and there all the time.

I have "Toxic" on my Ipod. When i worked at WTAO in Marion we recieved that single, and my PD didnt like it so we never played it. I thought it was awesome though.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
I have "Toxic" on my Ipod.  When i worked at WTAO in Marion we recieved that single, and my PD didnt like it so we never played it.  I thought it was awesome though.

I agree, it's a great version of an otherwise bad song.

Even a s***ty Britney Spears song can be rescued when put in the right hands.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
i liked britney spear's toxic ... and i know you did too...

i'm back from memphis...pretty cool...

Dino Jr is this week.

I liked her in the video, I know that.

What was cool about Memphis?

SET LIST AND FULL REVIEW FOR THE ALL MIGHTY DINOSAUR WILL BE REQUIRED UPON YOUR RETURN!!!

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 02:39 AM)
I liked her in the video, I know that.

What was cool about Memphis?

SET LIST AND FULL REVIEW FOR THE ALL MIGHTY DINOSAUR WILL BE REQUIRED UPON YOUR RETURN!!!

Cool about memphis, one, the town setup feels small and familiar for a rather large city. They ahve baseball stadiums and basketball stadiums integrated right in with the city. And then there was Beale street, now, i hadn't much heard of beale street, but i'm sure glad i've seen it now, it was I guess "the" hot spot for blues in the 20's-40's, and since has become just a great strip of bars, blues clubs, and restaurants that epitomize memphis. At night, we left our hotel and walked up and down, blues music all over, it was a lot of fun.

I'm gonna try so hard to get an actual setlist for dino jr. I'm gonna show up proper early. I gotta buy ear plugs...posthaste.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 01:40 AM)
Cool about memphis, one, the town setup feels small and familiar for a rather large city. They ahve baseball stadiums and basketball stadiums integrated right in with the city. And then there was Beale street, now, i hadn't much heard of beale street, but i'm sure glad i've seen it now, it was I guess "the" hot spot for blues in the 20's-40's, and since has become just a great strip of bars, blues clubs, and restaurants that epitomize memphis. At night, we left our hotel and walked up and down, blues music all over, it was a lot of fun.

I'm gonna try so hard to get an actual setlist for dino jr. I'm gonna show up proper early. I gotta buy ear plugs...posthaste.

Memphis is a city we've always talked about getting to at some point, sounds like a cool town.

Hell yeah, geek out with some lime green plugs. :headbang

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
bmags, are you at Bonnaroo?

too expensive for me, great show it sounds like though...

i'll be at intonation and pitchfork this year thou...

hell yeah lmb, beale street is great. just ole time blues music. Great atmosphere there.