music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
but cool, i'm still feeling around through electronic stuff but its cool to know someone with more knowledge...keep me informed on good stuff.

If you're in Chicago and old enough Smart Bar has a ton of minimal events. Lots of Kompakt artists rolling through.

One CD you can probably get used for $5 which I think is an underrated gem is Miss Kittin's Radio Caroline mix.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
If you're in Chicago and old enough Smart Bar has a ton of minimal events.  Lots of Kompakt artists rolling through.

One CD you can probably get used for $5 which I think is an underrated gem is Miss Kittin's Radio Caroline mix.

Do you ever go to Smart Bar on Sunday nights? What kind of stuff is Scott Lucas spinnin' lately?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
Do you ever go to Smart Bar on Sunday nights?  What kind of stuff is Scott Lucas spinnin' lately?

Scott Lucas after DJ'ing for 5 hours on Sunday:

"And here's another ditty by our feature band on Sunday nights, Local H"

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
Do you ever go to Smart Bar on Sunday nights?  What kind of stuff is Scott Lucas spinnin' lately?

Going out on a school night? What am I, a waiter?

Seriously though, no. I only go out on Sunday if I have Monday off or if it's something SUPER special. I don't even know who Scott Lucas is, sorry. :huh

QUOTE(sti3 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
Going out on a school night?  What am I, a waiter?

Seriously though, no.  I only go out on Sunday if I have Monday off or if it's something SUPER special.  I don't even know who Scott Lucas is, sorry.  :huh

Please gather all your belongings and leave this instant, thank you. :P

QUOTE(sti3 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
If you're in Chicago and old enough Smart Bar has a ton of minimal events.  Lots of Kompakt artists rolling through.

i'm in Columbia MO right now, suprising lack of electronic haha...

i'll be in chicago mid may...question: how old is old enough? Is this a 21 place like the empty bottle (f***ing nazis) or will 18 get you in with a stamp

And now for the complete and total opposite end of the musical spectrum playlist:

Joshua Radin "We Were Here"

This guys so talented and has such a great voice. He sounds even better live, seen him like 3 times out here. If you ever get a chance to see him do it. Especially if you like Folk-sy kind of music.

Converge "You Fail Me"

f***ing INSANE. Not as chaotic as their masterpiece "Jane Doe", but still very very good. I'd say this album is a little more acessable than JD, but definately an acquired taste. Can't wait for their new album.

Something very right about Sweet Emotion, 80 degrees outside, windows down, at night, smell of salt air, and doing 85 mph* down a long, flat, straight, farm to market road, near the Gulf that just sets my spirits soaring.

*professional driver on a closed road ;)

Listening to Luka Bloom's Riverside right now. Another album I had forgotten how brilliant it is. Perfect balance of Celtic and just killer acoustic work. He's also got a great voice that hits perfect emotion on pretty much every track.

Grabbing myself some Bothy Band now also. I'm feeling another Celtic kick coming on. Gotta go grab me acoustic and tear it up!

Also just found a cool band called Hillbilly Moon Explosion! Great stuff!

Hey, any of you kids ever read my blog? I'm especially keen on todays entry which takes a bit to push some Professor Longhair on the masses. I need the exposure for this stuff, so if you have a minute, give it a read!

Thanks...

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 08:58 PM)
Listening to Luka Bloom's Riverside right now. Another album I had forgotten how brilliant it is. Perfect balance of Celtic and just killer acoustic work. He's also got a great voice that hits perfect emotion on pretty much every track.

Grabbing myself some Bothy Band now also. I'm feeling another Celtic kick coming on. Gotta go grab me acoustic and tear it up!

Also just found a cool band called Hillbilly Moon Explosion! Great stuff!

Hey, any of you kids ever read my blog? I'm especially keen on todays entry which takes a bit to push some Professor Longhair on the masses. I need the exposure for this stuff, so if you have a minute, give it a read!

Thanks...

Shameless blog whore....even 2k5 doesn't work that hard at it....

:P :lol:

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
I just came across this stuff.  I'm likin it.

The production in Go Go Gadget Gospel and Feng Shui are just sick.

Danger Mouse is a genius...him and Cee-Lo are about to blow up, more than they have already I guess.

Wow Three 6. Cool that they put on a good show.

As for Chicago bars/clubs, they're all 21+ except for big concerts at more theatre-like venues, e.g. Metro Riviera etc. Sorry.

So excited about the Intonation Festival. Couple great Chicago rappers performing in Lupe Fiasco and Rhymefest, and Kano from the UK should be wicked.