music

hi8is

QUOTE(mr_genius @ May 16, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
i heard one of the new songs on the radio

it was total crap

but i'm not really a Pearl Jam fan in the first place

the single was the worst song on the album...i think its their best album since Yield but that said i'm tired of pearl jams sound. It sounds old.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 16, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)
I bet you forgot the green, but that's a perfect example. Dylan the songwriter, good, Dylan the singer, not so much...... and like I said we are the complete opposite on this.

but he had a unique voice, if radio was myriad David Coverdales i'm sure you'd change your tune.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bmags @ May 16, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
the single was the worst song on the album...i think its their best album since Yield but that said i'm tired of pearl jams sound. It sounds old.

but he had a unique voice, if radio was myriad David Coverdales i'm sure you'd change your tune.

I'd take a myriad of Ronnie James Dios... :D

Actually, no I wouldn't. Some of my favorite singers can't "sing" - John Lydon, Doc Neeson, Lemmy, James Hetfield ( drunken growling James, not dried-up, dried-out, post-therapy crooning James ). Some could sing okay, but not great singers ( Phil Lynott, Bob Geldof, Paul Westerberg ). Some are really good, I think ( Geoff Tate, Dio, Rob Halford ). It's all about style and how the voice fits the music for me.

Yep, you know me, radio, MTV and Coverdale are some of my favorite things in life.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 16, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
Yep, you know me, radio, MTV and Coverdale are some of my favorite things in life.

i'm not sure why you took it like that, but whatever...

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 16, 2006 -> 07:26 PM)
I'd take a myriad of Ronnie James Dios... :D

Actually, no I wouldn't. Some of my favorite singers can't "sing" - John Lydon, Doc Neeson, Lemmy, James Hetfield ( drunken growling James, not dried-up, dried-out, post-therapy crooning James ). Some could sing okay, but not great singers ( Phil Lynott, Bob Geldof, Paul Westerberg ). Some are really good, I think ( Geoff Tate, Dio, Rob Halford ). It's all about style and how the voice fits the music for me.

i agree, i know jeff mangum is horrible at singing but i love it, and i know Jeff Buckley is amazing at singing and i love it. Ian Curtis just halfway sang baritone and it sounded so cool

There is an important line to draw in the sand: Singers on one side and "vocalists" on the other side. Some of the greatest performers in the history of music could not "sing", but their vocals were the greatest things to ever end up in music. Rock and Roll has more to do with "style" and "attitude" than actual technical prowess. I would rather spend my entire life hearing the likes of Stiv Bator(s), John Lydon, Johnny Thunders, Dave Kusworth, Rod Stewart, Spike, Tyla, Bob Dylan (*gasp*), Mick Jagger, etc. then spend 5 minutes listening to friggin' Pavarotti. But there is importance in both, and in some cases there is importance in lyrics. I love great lyrics.

People tell me I'm too high when I'm around, And when I'm not I'm closer to the ground

Well, I do anything whenever I want, And I want to do it here and now

I'm on a one-way street, I can't retreat, 'Cos my mind and I play hide and seek

They want to make a problem out of me, 'Cos they want their own problems unseen

My mind's a gallery of memories, I reflect the history

I'm the sort of case of the human race, That people find hard to face

I'm the living wreck, I live in Tooting Bec, I'm the Cosmic Ted spaced out of my head

I'm the living wreck, I live in Tooting Bec, And I'm equal to anyone I've met

I'm the second door on the third floor, If you've got the key then please unlock me

But hey, don't talk to me, I'm not what you see, I'm not here today, I'm miles away

It's twice as much reality when you're, Face to face with history

-Hanoi Rocks

That's just some cool stuff there. :D

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ May 16, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
There is an important line to draw in the sand: Singers on one side and "vocalists" on the other side. Some of the greatest performers in the history of music could not "sing", but their vocals were the greatest things to ever end up in music. Rock and Roll has more to do with "style" and "attitude" than actual technical prowess. I would rather spend my entire life hearing the likes of Stiv Bator(s), John Lydon, Johnny Thunders, Dave Kusworth, Rod Stewart, Spike, Tyla, Bob Dylan (*gasp*), Mick Jagger, etc. then spend 5 minutes listening to friggin' Pavarotti. But there is importance in both, and in some cases there is importance in lyrics. I love great lyrics.

-Hanoi Rocks

That's just some cool stuff there. :D

Well said, there is an importance and should be an appreciation for both.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 16, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
Lou Reed and Shane McGowan are two of my favorite vocalists and neither one can sing worth a damn.

That woman's got me drinkin... look at the state I'm in.

Give me 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 bottles gin!

haha, it does

i liked Ten when it came out, like 15 years ago.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ May 16, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
I love great lyrics.

Blue Valentines - Tom Waites

She sends me blue valentines

All the way from Philadelphia

To mark the anniversary

Of someone that I used to be

And it feels just like theres

A warrant out for my arrest

Got me checkin in my rearview mirror

And I'm always on the run

Thats why I changed my name

And I didn't think you'd ever find me here

To send me blue valentines

Like half forgotten dreams

Like a pebble in my shoe

As I walk these streets

And the ghost of your memory

Is the thistle in the kiss

And the burgler that can break a roses neck

It's the tatooed broken promise

That I hide beneath my sleeve

And I see you every time I turn my back

She sends me blue valentines

Though I try to remain at large

They're insisting that our love

Must have a eulogy

Why do I save all of this madness

In the nightstand drawer

There to haunt upon my shoulders

Baby I know

I'd be luckier to walk around everywhere I go

With a blind and broken heart

That sleeps beneath my lapel

She sends me my blue valentines

To remind me of my cardinal sin

I can never wash the guilt

Or get these bloodstains off my hands

And it takes a lot of whiskey

To take this nightmares go away

And I cut my bleedin heart out every nite

And I die a little more on each St. Valentines day

Remember that I promised I would

Write you...

These blue valentines

blue valentines

blue valentines

Listen to it and you know he's "singing" the truth.

Edited by DePloderer

I heard "Life Wasted" by Pearl Jam, and the first thing I said was wow this song actually has some balls. The big-time PJ fan nearby was offended, like it was some kind of revelation that most of their songs don't. :sleep

As far as great singers who can't sing, throwing Anthony Kiedis, Duncan from Snuff, Tim Armstrong, Chuck from Hot Water Music, and the lead singer from Q and not U into the mix.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 17, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
Can't go wrong with Sabbath, timeless.

I'm in the weird group who thinks the best Sabbath was the Dio era. Mob Rules is both a great album, and a great song. Ozzy era was boring for the most part. I know if I was paying attention during those early years of Sab I would have a different feeling. But for me, both parts put out their best at the same time, just not together. Sab with Dio, Ozzy with Randy.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ May 17, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
I'm in the weird group who thinks the best Sabbath was the Dio era. Mob Rules is both a great album, and a great song. Ozzy era was boring for the most part. I know if I was paying attention during those early years of Sab I would have a different feeling. But for me, both parts put out their best at the same time, just not together. Sab with Dio, Ozzy with Randy.

The Supersuckers' cover/parody "Your Mom Rules" is great.

I don't like Black Sabbath, never did.

Solo Ozzy has about 4 or 5 good songs.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 17, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
The Supersuckers' cover/parody "Your Mom Rules" is great.

I don't like Black Sabbath, never did.

Solo Ozzy has about 4 or 5 good songs.

LOL, I saw The Supersuckers waaaaaay back in the day :headbang

I like Sabbath, never cared for solo Ozzy.

hmm apparently i don't know how to use the search, o well. Yeah this cd has it all, and i love the Violent Femmes cover, seeing how im also a big Violent Femmes fan.