music

hi8is

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
Luh Ame, Lame.

I liked Hands Open enough to buy the album, but the song really bothers me now as does the rest of the album. The lyrics give the opportunity to convey a s*** ton of emotion, but everything is so controlled. The music is pretty tight, but this would be a better album if it wasn't so polished and the singer let loose. I need to hear his voice crack when he sings that his hands are open... He oughta be giving it everything. On the album it sounds like he can't be bothered to.

Thanks for the heads-up, Rex. I think I'll avoid the disc, then.

But the singer not letting loose doesn't bother me so much. If I want to hear bloated over-emoting, I'll listen to U2.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 03:03 AM)
Luh Ame, Lame.

I liked Hands Open enough to buy the album, but the song really bothers me now as does the rest of the album. The lyrics give the opportunity to convey a s*** ton of emotion, but everything is so controlled. The music is pretty tight, but this would be a better album if it wasn't so polished and the singer let loose. I need to hear his voice crack when he sings that his hands are open... He oughta be giving it everything. On the album it sounds like he can't be bothered to.

Yeah those were pretty much my thoughts as well. I did like Open Your Eyes though, but I guess you have to like that slower type of song.

But they definitely could have pushed the boundaries quite a bit more, and they would have something pretty good.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
I just bought some wilco albums and their pretty solid

yankee hotel foxtrot is probably one of the stronger albums of the 2000s from what I've heard

i think kicking television is the best produced live album of all time. Nels Cline + WIlco is just a whole new experience. He makes the "a ghost is born" songs so much more vital and wonderful.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 07:26 PM)
i think kicking television is the best produced live album of all time. Nels Cline + WIlco is just a whole new experience. He makes the "a ghost is born" songs so much more vital and wonderful.

Of all of Wilco's albums "a ghost is born" is prolly my favorite, not to hate on yankee hotel foxtrot.

Just acquired the new Muse CD due out in July. Yet to listen to it here at work, but hoping for a strong effort after 'Absolution'. Lots arent into Matt Bellamys voice, but I dig the sound of the trio.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 03:27 AM)
Just acquired the new Muse CD due out in July. Yet to listen to it here at work, but hoping for a strong effort after 'Absolution'. Lots arent into Matt Bellamys voice, but I dig the sound of the trio.

I love absolution. I think Muse sounds like a jacked up Radiohead, but I like it. "Hysteria" is by far my favorite song, it gets me really pumped up to get things done, one of those "first song of the day" type of songs for me.

I'm listening to the new New York Dolls , One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This CD right now. If it wasn't for all the things I don't like about the re-union of this band, I would love this album so far. It doesn't have the wreckless side of the ol' Dolls, but it is a great straight up RnR release. This may have been how they would have sounded without all of the minor abuse problems. I guess for the sake of Johansen, Sylvain, and Sami Yaffa that this is a success. But I know Johnny T. and Jerry N. are waiting on the otherside to kick the living crap out of everybody involved.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 08:22 AM)
Of all of Wilco's albums "a ghost is born" is prolly my favorite, not to hate on yankee hotel foxtrot.

i think i like summerteeth best...i think its when their songs were most fun plus it has my favorites she's a jar and via chicago...but as an album, yankee hotel foxtrot is quite the experience. Poor places :wub:

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
i think i like summerteeth best...i think its when their songs were most fun plus it has my favorites she's a jar and via chicago...but as an album, yankee hotel foxtrot is quite the experience. Poor places :wub:

YHF is the only Wilco record I can listen to beginning to end, truly an album.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
I just puked in my mouth after recieving an email for presale tickets to the upcoming Barbara Streisand concert. $775 and $360 dollars for tickets???????????????????? good lordy

Is that what they are paying people to go? Hmmm still not enough.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
Thanks for the heads-up, Rex. I think I'll avoid the disc, then.

But the singer not letting loose doesn't bother me so much. If I want to hear bloated over-emoting, I'll listen to U2.

Not over-emoting, but emoting. You can hear the emotion in a lot of the lyrics should be an 8, 9 or 10 but its stuck at a 2 or 3.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
YHF is the only Wilco record I can listen to beginning to end, truly an album.

They need to get their act together and play some non-Lollapalooza chicago shows, damnit!

Not sure if its been mentioned, but if you like Wilco check out Tweedy's side project "Loose Fur"

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 08:20 AM)
They need to get their act together and play some non-Lollapalooza chicago shows, damnit!

Not sure if its been mentioned, but if you like Wilco check out Tweedy's side project "Loose Fur"

They've been here a few times fairly recently and played some smaller venues.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 01:11 AM)
Not over-emoting, but emoting. You can hear the emotion in a lot of the lyrics should be an 8, 9 or 10 but its stuck at a 2 or 3.

Maybe I'm strange, but for me it all depends on the artist.

A lot of bands I really like have singers who sounded "flat" or unemotional.

Psychedelic Furs, Naked Raygun and even Johnny Cash come to mind right away.

But not having heard the entire disc, I will take your word that Snow Patrol is missing that element.

I still love "Hands Open", and I'm still not buying the CD.

:D

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)

they played in columbia, such a good show. Nels Cline...oh man. I can't say enough how good he is. Turns Kidssmoke into a song that isn't long enough!

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 08:51 AM)
That Gnarls Barkley performance at the MTV Video Awards is a classic now IMO. Anyone that hasn't seen it should check it out.

I thought the top of the pops performance was better...from what people were telling me i thought it would have a lot more energy...i didn't realize cee lo just stands there like a statue in a different costume every performance...

that said great pop album. I love when good albums get radio play.