music

hi8is

Wow I'm going to see The Who this weekend. I can't believe it! It has all worked out perfectly. My 14 year old daughter has been giving me major grief of late because I won't let her go to gigs at night, recent requests have included Ramstein and Silverstein so any of you who are up on your Emo will understand where I'm coming from. Well I saw an advert for a festival containing a number of her favourites including the Zutons, The Flaming Lips and The Super Furry Animals, Headlined by The Who. Job done, she can get lost all day with her mates and I can mix with mine, only a mobile phone call away. Best thing is the festivals only 10 minutes from my house. Peace has been restored to the Deploderer house.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Wow I'm going to see The Who this weekend. I can't believe it! It has all worked out perfectly. My 14 year old daughter has been giving me major grief of late because I won't let her go to gigs at night, recent requests have included Ramstein and Silverstein so any of you who are up on your Emo will understand where I'm coming from. Well I saw an advert for a festival containing a number of her favourites including the Zutons, The Flaming Lips and The Super Furry Animals, Headlined by The Who. Job done, she can get lost all day with her mates and I can mix with mine, only a mobile phone call away. Best thing is the festivals only 10 minutes from my house. Peace has been restored to the Deploderer house.

Well, to be fair, even if she went to see Rammstein or Silverstein (or Einstein or Frankenstein or Springstein) :P , she'd still be only a mobile phone call away....the call would just come from a further distance.

:D

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)

That's an awesome thing to be able to do with your kid.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
Well, to be fair, even if she went to see Rammstein or Silverstein (or Einstein or Frankenstein or Springstein) :P , she'd still be only a mobile phone call away....the call would just come from a further distance.

:D

Oh, you were THAT kid.

Radiohead was pretty incredible live. Pretty awesome stage set up. They had a bunch of jagged tvs behind them that resembled an englishmans teeth (sorry deploderer)...new songs are ... i unno. They rock more than HTTT...but seem less satisfying. LIke a collection of pop songs that blur would make. The Bends songs sounded alive...moreso than they've sounded on live bootlegs i've heard. Nude/Big Ideas(Don't Get Any) was song just on point. I'm pretty excited about that song finally being recorded.

Does anybody know anything about a new (at least to me) band from the States called The Raconteurs? I caught them on a show over here and they struck me as a great cross between modern day indie and classic 70's rock along the lines of Deep Purple, Led Zep et al.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 12:21 AM)
Jack White is in the Raconteurs. Brendan Benson as well, if that's who I'm thinking of. Kind of an indie rock supergroup.

I told my wife that it was him, They were introduced as a "brand new band from California". Obviously an IN joke and I'm just not in. I realy liked what I saw.

Edited by DePloderer

i found the raconteurs so disappointing. I was thinking Jack white with a good drummer...but what i got was the raconteurs.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
Bmags, Los do either of you planning on going to the Pitchfork Music Festival? Looks like a pretty solid lineup.

yessir...

Os Mutantes, Destroyer, the walkmen...jens lekman...i'm interested in every single act. Wish there was some mroe diversity though.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
Radiohead was pretty incredible live. Pretty awesome stage set up. They had a bunch of jagged tvs behind them that resembled an englishmans teeth (sorry deploderer)...new songs are ... i unno. They rock more than HTTT...but seem less satisfying. LIke a collection of pop songs that blur would make. The Bends songs sounded alive...moreso than they've sounded on live bootlegs i've heard. Nude/Big Ideas(Don't Get Any) was song just on point. I'm pretty excited about that song finally being recorded.

I went to both chicago shows, I gotta say I was impressed

the band nailed every performance, the new songs are really coming along (videotape and down is the new up are amazing)

easily the two best concerts I have ever been to

QUOTE(jenksd @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 03:49 AM)
I was going to go to Intonation until I realized the only artists worth s*** playing it were Ghostface, the Boredoms, Devin the Dude, Dead Prez, and Rhymefest

the constantines live are great. Jose gonzales...jon brion...bloc party...good stuff.

its only 20 bucks for live music...in nice chicago park...

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 12:43 AM)
the constantines live are great. Jose gonzales...jon brion...bloc party...good stuff.

its only 20 bucks for live music...in nice chicago park...

I flippin love Bloc Party. The Constantines are kinda fun too. I would have liked to go to the Fest but i'm out of town :(

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 06:37 AM)
I flippin love Bloc Party. The Constantines are kinda fun too. I would have liked to go to the Fest but i'm out of town :(

i'll give you a warm recap that'll feel like you were almost there!!!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 04:07 AM)
Whenever I hear that Blue October pussy whining about his Mom caring about him too much I want to punch him in the throat. A bunch of times.

Horrible f***ing song. God damn.

Quoted for truth. Hi, I don't need to hear some answering machine message about your mom worrying about you in music.

my intonation review.

Favourite Sons - boring typical New york band. but pleasant pop songs. Not so boring...just boring in that they are like band # 5400 with the same f'n s'nd.

Erase Errata - horrible. Female punk has been done much better and by better lookin women. THEY HAVE A KNIIIFE

90 Day men - not a festival group but had some pretty impressive moments. But it was beautiful and sunny and i didn't feel like their dark s***.

Devin the Dude - just when you thought he couldn't possibly have another song about weed, he did it. f***in A! Funny moment when he started singing james taylor...and you thought it would bust into something else but nope...until he finally said "my bad that was james taylor"...Probably the least impressive live rapper at the concert next to dead prez (though for diff reasons)...

Jose Gonzales - Fantastic. He had some troubles with tuning and the s***tiest f***ing introducing people...alive. Worst. But Love stains sounded great and the kylie manogue covers sounded less forced. I met him after the show and he signed Veneer for me and i asked if his next album has an american distributor but he kind of stumbled and answered , i'm trying to finish by the end of the year which leads me to believe he didn't understand my ?

Chromeo - pretty good and dancey dance. Sounded like a less beat driven daft punk, and i would've rather listened to daft punk..but after the rather drab first acts i welcomed the sounds. I also looked for food during this set. Saw plenty of delicious food items...

High on Fire - metal. Avg. metal. Had classic metal lyrics without getting cheesy and a nice curveball to the day but i just was too tired to pay attention.

The stills - i never really listened to them before, and i thought i might like them. But i didn't...but i was kind of far and at intonATION if you aren't in front you don't get good sound...looked f**gy though..

Roky erickson - i thought this would be great...but then...it really wasn't. He sounded old...13th floor elevators ROLL OVER IN GRAVES...

FINALLY THE GOOD s***:

The Boredoms - I have a feeling not many people knew the boredoms before intonation. They are one of the only bands whose album i've picked up without ever hearing before and they blew me away. But this BLEW ME AWAAAAY, dig. (f**). Their stage set up was 3 drummers...and a keyboard. ANd they made those drums SING, oh!, my god it was f***ing magical...i'd never heard anything like this from them before... And the crowd was amazed. IN a park where its easy to ignore the acts...they wouldn't let you ignore them. Energy galore...and the most unique and awesome sound i've heard from them...Nobody topped them...nobody did it better.

Ghostface - played some Wu-tang songs and had great energy but didn't feature any of the new songs i wanted to hear live but played some good supreme clientele songs and brought hot b****es up on stage and had a dance party. Fun to see and hear but i wanted more from one of my favorite rappers.

Lady Sovereign - pleasantly suprised! I have her album and while its fun once in a while it didn't hold me but live her attitude catches in and her lyrics take a whole new turn. The live bass gave that tough sludging grime beats to life. really good hsowing...i'm looking forward to her output on Jay-Zs label.

The streets - So great. Skinner was hilarious and charming and the set list was great. They did planned, but still on the spot "remixes" if you can use that so liberally of singing "I bet you look good on the dance floor" and that song that goes "don't you with your girlfriend was a freak like me" but replace girlfriend with boyfriend and sing it to a girl in the audience and replace "was a freak like me" with "could eat your pussy like me"...Best song - Fit but you know it...so much energy...

day 2 come henceforth

Day 2...

oh lonely me...

with the morning rain the people i was supposed to meet didn't show...did meet people there though...oh no...keep rhyming i said so...

FIRST ACT I SAW:

the constantines :f***ing great...just as good as columbia. their live stuff kind of proves, at least it should prove to them, how avg. tourn. of hearts is to shine a light / the cons material...(besides soon enough)...but man they can rock...

Rhymefest - SO great. God i hope his new album sells. This guy f***ing deserves it more than anyone i can think of in the rap game right now. He's an incredible free styler...he went on for ten min. just looking at things in the crowd...and his new material is good...his beats just need some more umph and i'm worried he doesn't have the chorus hooks for a big pop hit. Nonetheless...maybe some kanye appearances and s*** will work for him. BLue collar drops july 11th !!!!!!! Rhymefest did something notable early in his career i won't mention because it doesn't have bearing on how his career should be. Chicago's finest? Top 3!

Annie - nice and pop! I'd take others over her though. But she made nice usage of synths and s***. I liked her. No Pipettes thou

Lupe Fiasco -Failure was just fantastic live. He was funny, and seems more relaxed about his album leaking now. HAs a new track on the new one yet to leak as far as i know. Kick/Push was great, and he did diamonds are forever which i think sounds better with his voice but i'm sure he got more money pawning it to Kanye. He did his touch the sky verse and that was a lot of fun. This guy could take off and man i hope so.

The sword-bleh. Had a great hot dog during their set.

Blue Cheer- Metal Pioneers still had plenty of rock in em. But plenty of old age too. Its cool to see these old acts play after all these years..but their sets were more nostalgia than substance.

Jon Brion - Composer/producer jon brion was a shining beacon at intonation a beacon of light...jon brion...awesome. He would go play the drums (at this point i should mention...jon brion produced Kanye's "Late Registration" the original fiona apple "Extraordinary machine" and scored "eternal sunshine for the spotless mind") loop it, go to the piano, loop it, and then play guitar. ANd he is a great guitarist. His friend ben something next came on to play keyboard and he was awesome. Later, Glen the drummer from wilco came on and they played some beatles covers and other songs. They were so great. They looked like they were having so much fun, not trying to look cool, not doing a job, they were having fun. And lots of it. It was so infectious it overcame the many tech difficulties...

Robert pollard - the incredibly limber bob pollard was f***ing great. At first he came out with a miller lite and i kept thinking, no, no way, this guy drinks like a fish and he's drinking miller f***ing lite? what a pussy! Then he opened a handle of tequila and started chugging. Highlight: Game of Pricks at one point the girl next to me asked : "did he cover guided by voices for the first two songs or did they cover him for this song" and i was confused...so she repeated... and then i got what she was saying and told her he was the lead singer of guided by voices..f*** it..he IS guided by voices. His backing band was great...new stuff is alright... a bit like morrissey post smiths in that its still pollard but its not the same.

Dead prez...sigh. SIGH. they played their new "hey were clubbing" bulls*** songs and when they weren't doing that...they were talking for 15 goddamn minutes...i left early to go wait for bloc party...rubbish. f***in rubbish. They could have been special.

Bloc Party - When i was waiting for them to come on it suddenly occured to me that i was surrounded by 15/16 year old kids. All talking about how amazing bloc party is and how no one came for any other band. It was cute...made me long for the days when i felt that way about bands...that this band is the f***in best and no one compares...

The set started with...f***...uhhh...well anyway they played pretty much all of silent alarm plus two new songs one named beautiful which was dancey BLAST OF AWESOME. Price of gas was really great. euekukewaskus voice is spot on live and htey really are good musicians. Those bass lines...badassssss.

Edited by bmags

* Favourite Sons - boring typical New york band. but pleasant pop songs. Not so boring...just boring in that they are like band # 5400 with the same f'n s'nd. *

I was walking down to Taco Bell while these guys were playing but I liked 'em. Sounded like classic-era Echo.

* Erase Errata - horrible. Female punk has been done much better and by better lookin women. THEY HAVE A KNIIIFE *

I was in Taco Bell witnessing drama and stuffing myself while these ladies were playing but I have friends who like em.

* 90 Day men - not a festival group but had some pretty impressive moments. But it was beautiful and sunny and i didn't feel like their dark s***. *

Believe it or not I'd never seen these guys. I'd heard they were more mathy. I liked the instrumental stuff but the vocals I could have edone without.

* Devin the Dude - just when you thought he couldn't possibly have another song about weed, he did it. f***in A! Funny moment when he started singing james taylor...and you thought it would bust into something else but nope...until he finally said "my bad that was james taylor"...Probably the least impressive live rapper at the concert next to dead prez (though for diff reasons)... *

I thought he was mad funny actually, like an underground Snoop. I liked that he wasn't yellin' at all.

* Jose Gonzales - Fantastic. *

Agreed. Though I wasn't up close enough.

* Chromeo - pretty good and dancey dance. *

This is one of those acts that I should be like my other friends and be "over", but for my money they craft good tunes, both songwise and production. I liked Pee Thug's constant hat changing.

* High on Fire - metal. Avg. metal. Had classic metal lyrics without getting cheesy and a nice curveball to the day but i just was too tired to pay attention. *

I was far away but they sounded rockin'

* The stills - i never really listened to them before, and i thought i might like them. But i didn't...but i was kind of far and at intonATION if you aren't in front you don't get good sound... *

Yeah from far away they were boring as s__t.

* Roky erickson - i thought this would be great...but then...it really wasn't. He sounded old...13th floor elevators ROLL OVER IN GRAVES... *

Before my time so I reserved judgement.

* The Boredoms *

My fiancee was into them in her noise days but never plays em at home. I thuoght they were amazing at firstbut then it all got kinda samey. But I imagine if I'd stayed up front I would have dug it the whole time.

* Ghostface *

I had low expectations just cause of how NY hip hop acts usually are so I thought it was good. Like you said good energy. If you knew the songs it was real good, but if you didn't, probably just sounded like a lot of yelling and not-loud-enough beats.

* Lady Sovereign - pleasantly suprised! I have her album and while its fun once in a while it didn't hold me but live her attitude catches in and her lyrics take a whole new turn. *

She rocked it, and the beats sounded great.

* The streets - So great. *

Wow. I just don't get the appeal of this guy. Clearly talented, but comes off as a smug prick on stage IMO. Definitely a love it or hate it thing.

* the constantines :f***ing great...just as good as columbia. *

I've been bored by them in the past but I thought they did sound great. at the festival.

* Rhymefest - SO great. God i hope his new album sells. *

Great show I agree. However his freestyle was really only a couple minutes (I video'd it on my phone :)). I think the beats are really solid (Dynomite is a banger in particular), but you're probably right about the choruses. The lttle lady copped his and Lupe's promo posters outside. Yee ha.

* Lupe Fiasco -Failure was just fantastic live. He was funny, and seems more relaxed about his album leaking now. *

Funny story. When he asked the crowd "How many of y'all have heard the album?" and my girl cheered loudly. Thing was, of course, that was a trick question, and when I told ol girl she was very embarrassed. What she thought was the album that I've been bumping around the crib is actually this , which I have a legit copy of thank you very much. Is "Kick Push" really as big a hit as he was implying? Just curious. Very entertaining set with the skateboarding and the jokes and whatnot (though Rhymefest's quip about "Kanye's not gonna come out on stage") was the funniest.

* The sword-bleh. Had a great hot dog during their set. *

I thought they sounded good from afar.

* Dead prez...sigh. SIGH. they played their new "hey were clubbing" bulls*** songs and when they weren't doing that...they were talking for 15 goddamn minutes...i left early to go wait for bloc party...rubbish. f***in rubbish. They could have been special. *

See I stayed and I thought they were great. They talked some but for this old fart not too long, and all the new songs, even though the beats mighta been club friendly were still hard hitting lyrically. They had the white crowd yelling "reparations!" for God's sake. I went nuts for "Hip Hop" of course but all their songs killed it IMO.

* Bloc Party *

I'm not a huge fan but they seemed like they did their "edgy Coldplay" thing well. We went to Margie's in the middle of their set.

For some reason I can't get the quoting on this post to display properly so I apologize for this eyesore of a post. If anyone can tell me wtf I'm doing wrong...

Anyone got a Pitchfork pass for sale?

Edited by sti3