music

hi8is

Really, as to if you should be excited or not, just realize that there probably would be no such thing as NIN without there having been a Bauhaus. Few bands influenced the underground more than Bauhaus, and few bands still sound relevant. Just check out the song "Double Dare".

Edited by Kid Gleason

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
I went CD shopping in the city today. I bought "The Teaches of Peaches."

I love Electroclash.

Also picked up "Yo La Tengo Are Murdering the Classics."

such a great title and nice warmup for their new album (which is good...amazingly consistent.)

^referring to yo la tengo

Edited by bmags

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
Really, as to if you should be excited or not, just realize that there probably would be no such thing as NIN without there having been a Bauhaus. Few bands influenced the underground more than Bauhaus, and few bands still sound relevant. Just check out the song "Double Dare".

Thx..gave it a listen and its pretty cool. I'll be looking forward to seeing them.

Got the new Soul Asylum. It's pretty good. It has stuff for the fans of the old brilliant Twin Tone band, and stuff for the fans of the crappy commercial version of Soul Asylum. It's about 1/2 and 1/2 for me. But it shows that Pirner still knows how to write.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
Got the new Soul Asylum. It's pretty good. It has stuff for the fans of the old brilliant Twin Tone band, and stuff for the fans of the crappy commercial version of Soul Asylum. It's about 1/2 and 1/2 for me. But it shows that Pirner still knows how to write.

I thought those guys had given up.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)

God, I used to love that band.

Saw them at the Metro back in 1988. It was 120 degrees in that place, and they put on one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Too bad they went to s*** the way they did.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
I thought those guys had given up.

They had. But the eventual sickness of Karl Mueller pulled them together for a reunion and they decided to stick it out, write a new album, and see what happened.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
God, I used to love that band.

Saw them at the Metro back in 1988. It was 120 degrees in that place, and they put on one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Too bad they went to s*** the way they did.

It actually has moments of the early days on it and is quite good for about the first half. It never gets bad, but it doesn't hit the stride they had with "Hang" or "Horse", but on certain songs, it comes damn close.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
They had. But the eventual sickness of Karl Mueller pulled them together for a reunion and they decided to stick it out, write a new album, and see what happened.

It actually has moments of the early days on it and is quite good for about the first half. It never gets bad, but it doesn't hit the stride they had with "Hang" or "Horse", but on certain songs, it comes damn close.

Then I guess I need to hear those "certain songs"..... ;) :D

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)

What's the story behind their breakup? They always struck me as a 'load up the van and tour forever and who cares about record sales' kinda band. From what I recall though, Pirner said he got frustrated by the industry.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
What's the story behind their breakup? They always struck me as a 'load up the van and tour forever and who cares about record sales' kinda band. From what I recall though, Pirner said he got frustrated by the industry.

I'm not sure on the whole "lowdown" or whatever, but I seem to remember the same as you. Pirner I think got lost in his stardom, and then came crashing back to earth.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
Nice.

We expect a FULL review in the morning from you. :D

Have fun!

alright

the show was incredible. I did not really know what to expect, but in every facet Wilco blew me away last night

they played a great setlist, Jeff Tweedy was really funny and they nailed all the performances

only minor complaint is that they played 19 songs, while the norm for their past shows has been around 21-22 (but maybe they had some form of summerfest curfew in Milwaukee since they finished playing around 11 20)

highlights of show:

handshake drugs

hummingbird

Jeff Tweedy's comments

lowlights:

bad venue to see a show (small and uncomfortable)

f***ing everybody smoked so it smelled really bad

QUOTE(beautox @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
I know this came out back in March but im a big proponent of Neko Case's "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood"

yeah so was i ... fell on deaf ears my friend.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
alright

the show was incredible. I did not really know what to expect, but in every facet Wilco blew me away last night

they played a great setlist, Jeff Tweedy was really funny and they nailed all the performances

only minor complaint is that they played 19 songs, while the norm for their past shows has been around 21-22 (but maybe they had some form of summerfest curfew in Milwaukee since they finished playing around 11 20)

highlights of show:

handshake drugs

hummingbird

Jeff Tweedy's comments

lowlights:

bad venue to see a show (small and uncomfortable)

f***ing everybody smoked so it smelled really bad

did they play spiders for their first encore...i think i knew someone there ...

wilco is pretty incredible...one of the top guitarists in the world (nels cline) my favorite songwriter alive (jeff tweedy) and a great drummer (glen k.)

next album WITH cline is gonna be grrrrreat.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
yeah so was i ... fell on deaf ears my friend.

did they play spiders for their first encore...i think i knew someone there ...

wilco is pretty incredible...one of the top guitarists in the world (nels cline) my favorite songwriter alive (jeff tweedy) and a great drummer (glen k.)

next album WITH cline is gonna be grrrrreat.

spiders closed the show in the 2nd encore

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 07:02 AM)
Care to elaborate for those of us not keeping an ear to the music industry?

Cuomo said they will not reform. again. But i choose to believe this time is for real...because it NEEDS to end...10 years too late. They coulda had a flawless output. Michael jordan syndrome i guess.

I kinda thought the last effort was pretty good IMO. Pinkerton will always be way up there for me though, just was like "Uh, what the f*** is this?" at first when you heard it, then it grew on you.

Pinketon and the Blue album were good, I never really liked the rest that much. It just seemed too much like bland, generic "frat" rock.

I saw them last year in Champaign when they played with the Foo Fighters. They put on one of the best shows I've seen.

Edited by StrangeSox