music

hi8is

I'm not sure how you can knock the Foo really...Grohl is one of my favorite guys in the music industry...I see alot of people knocking alot of what I would consider pretty good music, and I wonder if its because some bands get so popular that they get shuffled into the mainstream, so thats not 'cool' anymore, or what.

Its like bands are supposed to stay 'garage band' style and forego success in the name of keeping the "I knew them when they were just starting out and smalltime!!" type 'fans' happy...I'll never understand it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grohl might be one of the greatest guys in the world, but it doesn't help the fact that he makes the most sterile, commercial friendly radio crap in the past 20 years. This is a guy who claims Black Sabbath's Mob Rules as one of the greatest albums ever recorded, and Ronnie James Dio as one of his favorite vocalists. He was a part of the brilliant D.C. Punk band Scream. He may not have been on Nirvana's Bleach, but he was hired when Cobain was in search of the hardest hitting drummer alive. All of these qualities, one would think, would add up to a guy fronting a ROCK band, not a commercially successful Pop band. I loved the tune "Monkey Wrench" and expected them to go in that direction. Instead they turned out music with more fluff in it than an Ann Murry album. Grohl, though a nice guy maybe, sold his soul to corporate rock in a desire to make more money than he did with Nirvana and to be more successful than Nirvana.

Or so it would seem.

As for Cornell: IMO the last good thing that guy did was Soundgarden's Louder Than Love album. Back then the band was ROCK, and they all knew how to really blow the speakers out. I've pretty much hated everything Soundgarden did after that, and Audioslave was total piss.

Rage Against The Machine? Ugh.

One By One was indeed alot more mellow that I thought would come from Foo, thats very true. And I DO wish the group would start getting back to the loud rock roots that most of us thought were gonna symbolize what Foo was.

As for RHCP, yeah well not sure anyone could pay me to listen to that group. Been avoiding them like the plague for years.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 12:48 PM)
Grohl, though a nice guy maybe, sold his soul to corporate rock in a desire to make more money than he did with Nirvana and to be more successful than Nirvana.

Or so it would seem.

I think that is the key here. I think he wanted to separate himself from all that. Maybe he "sold his soul," but maybe it wasn't for money, but to distance himself from the grunge Nirvana years and be his own man. And the Queens of the Stone Age CD he played the skins on was the best music they have put out. Maybe Foo has sold out, but Grohl is still damn talented.

Not saying he isn't talented. I'm just saying his band sucks and plays terrible music. You can have talent and still write crap.

That Trevor guys is also quite possibly one of the most annoying people in all of music. Are they lovers? (that was minor sarcasm...as I know they say they are best friends...but I still question it all)

Perhaps Dave Grohl decided that Jonathan Richman was right and the most punk thing he could do is be anti-punk? Richman sang love songs, Grohl made pop songs?

BTW: he released a solo album in 1996 or 1997 - it was the score to the movie Touch. Entirely pop and mostly brilliant. Wish I stole it from the radio station I worked at at the time.

I'm kind of split on the Foo Fighters. I thought that first album was fantastic, and I saw them at the Metro on their first tour (the show they headlined, not opening for Mike Watts) and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen...

however, I do see the side of the argument that since the first album the product has gone downhill.

New Elliott Smith Release New Moon (24 songs from his time with KRS)

Any Elliott Smith fans out there? I just got into him a couple years ago after he had already died. I have all 6 of his studio albums which are amazing. Even though some of the songs on New Moon can be found online, this is about the biggest thing I've had to look forward to from him...ever.

Edited by The Bones

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 12:48 PM)
Grohl might be one of the greatest guys in the world, but it doesn't help the fact that he makes the most sterile, commercial friendly radio crap in the past 20 years. This is a guy who claims Black Sabbath's Mob Rules as one of the greatest albums ever recorded, and Ronnie James Dio as one of his favorite vocalists. He was a part of the brilliant D.C. Punk band Scream. He may not have been on Nirvana's Bleach, but he was hired when Cobain was in search of the hardest hitting drummer alive. All of these qualities, one would think, would add up to a guy fronting a ROCK band, not a commercially successful Pop band. I loved the tune "Monkey Wrench" and expected them to go in that direction. Instead they turned out music with more fluff in it than an Ann Murry album. Grohl, though a nice guy maybe, sold his soul to corporate rock in a desire to make more money than he did with Nirvana and to be more successful than Nirvana.

Or so it would seem.

As for Cornell: IMO the last good thing that guy did was Soundgarden's Louder Than Love album. Back then the band was ROCK, and they all knew how to really blow the speakers out. I've pretty much hated everything Soundgarden did after that, and Audioslave was total piss.

Rage Against The Machine? Ugh.

doesn't it seem the more a guy matures the more "softer" they get in their music....i've noticed that in a lot of artists. I don't see what is wrong with Bad Motorfinger or SuperUnknown, but that's differing opinions.

To add a bit to the Cornell discussion, I too enjoyed his solo album, and he made a couple songs - Sunshower and Seasons - that weren't on Euphoria Morning, but rather were on the Greater Expectations and Singles soundtracks respectively. And I really love Seasons, probably one of my favorite songs of his that he's ever done.

And Audioslave breaking up is for the better. I liked bits of both of the first albums, but I really don't think there was a song I liked at all on Revelations. That album was complete garbage, and I really wish I could get my $13 back for it.

I think Cornell has an amazing voice, I just hate the music he chooses to place it on.

I know many bands "mellow" with age, which is a shame, but Soundgarden started doing as soon as they sniffed success. Louder Than Love was the last full on album. But ya know, that's fine. They gained more fans and more respect, and they only lost a few. They did the right thing for themselves and more people, so that is cool. I liked them back then, but I didn't love them.

IMO what happened was all of those bands that were once Metal (Alice and Sound spring to mind right away) got a little success in the newly named "Alternative" style. They all cut their hair, mellowed out a bit, became more...depressed maybe...and gained "respect" from the critics. They stopped calling themselves "Heavy Metal" and wanting to be linked to the Metal world. That was why they mellowed, they liked the fact that they were being respected. Odd, I know, but look at how many it happened to. Grunge was at one point a strange cross breed of Glam, Metal, and the early Iggy style noise that fell into Punk. But then it mellowed out, bands like Tad fell by the wayside, and the "artsy" bands prevailed, and then the style ate itself due to forgetting about riffs and hooks.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
New Elliott Smith Release New Moon (24 songs from his time with KRS)

Any Elliott Smith fans out there? I just got into him a couple years ago after he had already died. I have all 6 of his studio albums which are amazing. Even though some of the songs on New Moon can be found online, this is about the biggest thing I've had to look forward to from him...ever.

Hey, another Elliott fan! Just saw this the other day. Very exciting. Although I have downloaded most of the songs off the www.elliottsmithbsides.com, most of them aren't of the best quality. A studio release ought to fix that. Of course, some Elliott fans may argue that lo-fi is the way to listen to him. Doesn't really matter to me, as I'm a huge fan of his entire catalog.

Got a favorite Elliott album?

Edited by KevHead0881

QUOTE(Cali @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
City of Evil is good, but Avenged Sevenfold were way better in the Waking the Fallen days. His scream was so intense on that CD, it's a shame he decided to go another direction.

I saw them the day of the California Recall Election in '03 and they blew me away. I had gotten Waking the Fallen a few weeks earlier, btu had only given it a few spins, but the second I got home from the concert I put the thing on and gave it a proper listen.

Second Heartbeat with screams is so much better than the way they do it now...

They came in a close second to best band that night though, because Poison the Well were f***ing AMAZING. I can't wait for their new CD.

Yeah, I love Waking the Fallen.. He has such a powerful scream its great, but he did have to get surgery on his vocal chords and despite what he says I still believe that if he continued screaming as hard and powerful as he can that he would most likely lose his voice.

Regardless, I still like City of Evil and am looking forward to their new album which should be out on Halloween this year.

QUOTE(beautox @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
Naked Raygun @ the HOB in Chicago on April 27; whos going? ill be in attendance.

It's going to be a great show - NR + The Effigies + The Bollweevils = :headbang

If I still went to shows, this is one I'd definitely go to.

Have a great time!

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 11:11 AM)
Hey, another Elliott fan! Just saw this the other day. Very exciting. Although I have downloaded most of the songs off the www.elliottsmithbsides.com, most of them aren't of the best quality. A studio release ought to fix that. Of course, some Elliott fans may argue that lo-fi is the way to listen to him. Doesn't really matter to me, as I'm a huge fan of his entire catalog.

Got a favorite Elliott album?

I think they're all great but I've got to say Either/Or is at the top of my list. Elliott Smith, XO, Figure 8, and From A Basement On The Hill are all good in their own different ways. And I would put Roman Candle just a notch below all of them.

And I just came across elliottsmithbsides.com recently and I gotta say a lot of his unreleased material is just as good as, if not better than, some of the stuff on his albums. I love Stickman, Abused, High Times, Brand New Game. And for some reason I can't stop listening to the instrumental track See You In Heaven. I guess you could say that I'm a little obsessed.

Edited by The Bones

QUOTE(The Bones @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 01:27 AM)
I think they're all great but I've got to say Either/Or is at the top of my list. Elliott Smith, XO, Figure 8, and From A Basement On The Hill are all good in their own different ways. And I would put Roman Candle just a notch below all of them.

And I just came across elliottsmithbsides.com recently and I gotta say a lot of his unreleased material is just as good as, if not better than, some of the stuff on his albums. I love Stickman, Abused, High Times, Brand New Game. And for some reason I can't stop listening to the instrumental track See You In Heaven. I guess you could say that I'm a little obsessed.

I've been hooked on Elliott Smith for about 3 years now. I'll admit, it was his presence on the Good Will Hunting soundtrack that got my attention. And I agree Bones, his entire catalog is amazing. While Either/Or is probably a more well-rounded album from beginning to end, I'm kind of partial to Elliott Smith. But you really can't go wrong with any of them.

There are only a 3 or 4 songs on the new release that I haven't heard, but I'm still anxious to hear the finishing touches on all the others. "Seen How Things Are Hard" is among my favorite Elliott tunes. Anyways, I think it says a lot about his talent that so many great songs would be cut out of the studio releases.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 12:07 AM)
...ya wuss...

You know what they say - If You're Too Old, It's Too Loud!

:D

For me, shows are more trouble than they're worth anymore.

Unless I've never seen the band before, I'm not going to bother, and I've seen NR 4 times before.