music

hi8is

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
review review review

I'll try to piece BJM together.

I realized they have one song. One 20 minute song. One 20 minute song, that they play 8 times. Fun, but gets kinda tiring. Besides, their singer's insanity and 10 minute rants between songs get boring quickly.

The High Dials were one of the openers. Very solid performers, with 2 records under their belt.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
I'll try to piece BJM together.

I realized they have one song. One 20 minute song.  One 20 minute song, that they play 8 times. Fun, but gets kinda tiring. Besides, their singer's insanity and 10 minute rants between songs get boring quickly.

The High Dials were one of the openers.    Very solid performers, with 2 records under their belt.

eh, that sounds dissappointing...

i just got a live unicorns show that sounded amazing...i still think they'll get back together but i'm anxious for islands.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
...for years my Wings stuff got more play.  :ph34r:

I got burnt out on The Beatles though...big time.

The Beatles never recorded "Juniors Farm".  :D

I'd go with "Jet".

No, not the AC/DC riff recyclers, the SONG.

And I too got burnt out on the Beatles, although I LOVE "And Your Bird Can Sing" and always will.

Picked up the Sir Paul album in anticipation of seeing him on Saturday :snr

Listened to it once in the car on the way down to work (hour drive sucks). Very solid, very lyrical, really well produced, but a bit lacking in tempo changes and mood swings. Needs a few more listenings before I give a final grade, but I can see why it is getting pretty good reviews so far.

Big Ed: I haven't had a chance to welcome you aboard, but how could you leave my hero Mr. Rundrgen off of the Rotating Ringo All Star roster?!? :fight :D

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
I'd go with "Jet".

No, not the AC/DC riff recyclers, the SONG.

And I too got burnt out on the Beatles, although I LOVE "And Your Bird Can Sing" and always will.

To those who got burned out of the Beatles, let me share my sickness with you.

I had a conference this week in Naples Florida, four hours from home. I got in the car on Sunday and cued up the playlist "EMI 217" on my iPod. That's a playlist of all 217 officially released Beatles songs in chronological British release order, with the non-album single and EP releases placed between album track listings where they should be, etc. I pulled up to the hotel just as "I'm Only Sleeping (song #108 in the chronology) played out. Three days later, I get in the car to drive home and start by cueing up George's "Love You To", the next song on the Parlaphone/EMI version of Revolver, and drove home listening to the rest of thee catalog.

I admit, I've been burned out from the studio recordings at times before as well, but then I do a HammerHead and listen to bootlegs and alternate versions for a while. If you got burned out listening to the later (Pepper and beyond) stuff, go and put the early early stuff on and it will blow you away how good they were from the get-go. I grew up an avowed late-era BeatleHead and thought all the Beatlemania screaming girl stuff was pretty corny. But now I honestly think I might like the early stuff best of all. My favorite Beatle song of the last year or so is the almost unknown "Ask Me Why" (note, not the same as "Tell Me Why"), from their very first British LP. Brilliant.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
...for years my Wings stuff got more play.  :ph34r:

I got burnt out on The Beatles though...big time.

The Beatles never recorded "Juniors Farm".  :D

Neither did the Beatles record "Silly Love Songs", "My Love", "The Girl is Mine", "Say, Say, Say", "Ebony and Ivory", I could go on but I'm feeling ill.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
Neither did the Beatles record "Silly Love Songs", "My Love", "The Girl is Mine", "Say, Say, Say", "Ebony and Ivory", I could go on but I'm feeling ill.

I'll forgive him for quite a bit because he wrote "Magneto and Titanium Man"! :snr

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
Big Ed: I haven't had a chance to welcome you aboard, but how could you leave my hero Mr. Rundrgen off of the Rotating Ringo All Star roster?!?  :fight  :D

Sorry. I remembered him at the last minute and almost inserted his name too. I'm a huge Todd/Runt/Nazz fan!

Thanks for the welcome.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
Picked up the Sir Paul album in anticipation of seeing him on Saturday  :snr

Listened to it once in the car on the way down to work (hour drive sucks).  Very solid, very lyrical, really well produced, but a bit lacking in tempo changes and mood swings.  Needs a few more listenings before I give a final grade, but I can see why it is getting pretty good reviews so far.

Big Ed: I haven't had a chance to welcome you aboard, but how could you leave my hero Mr. Rundrgen off of the Rotating Ringo All Star roster?!?  :fight  :D

it was produced by nigel godrich, notably for his work with radiohead, beck, and pavement.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)

"Silly Love Songs" is a great pop tune! I also have to go along with "My Love" and "With A Little Luck". Heck, there was a ton of great stuff out of Wings. "Band On The Run" for instance. Bah, I love that stuff man! Nobody in music history could hold a candle to the Paul's yell also. That man's voice is pure gold, both when wanting to sound "sweet and gentle" and then when he wants to yell up a storm. Paul is a God amongst men, and when he is gone, the music world will stop dead in it's tracks and realize that there is nobody even close to that man on this planet.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
"Silly Love Songs" is a great pop tune! I also have to go along with "My Love" and "With A Little Luck". Heck, there was a ton of great stuff out of Wings. "Band On The Run" for instance. Bah, I love that stuff man! Nobody in music history could hold a candle to the Paul's yell also. That man's voice is pure gold, both when wanting to sound "sweet and gentle" and then when he wants to yell up a storm. Paul is a God amongst men, and when he is gone, the music world will stop dead in it's tracks and realize that there is nobody even close to that man on this planet.

here here

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)
  Nobody in music history could hold a candle to the Paul's yell also. That man's voice is pure gold, both when wanting to sound "sweet and gentle" and then when he wants to yell up a storm. Paul is a God amongst men, and when he is gone, the music world will stop dead in it's tracks and realize that there is nobody even close to that man on this planet.

I pretty much agree with that much of what you said, especially concerning Paul's yell. He had a great one. :D

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
I pretty much agree with that much of what you said, especially concerning Paul's yell. He had a great one.  :D

so...anyways...beatles = 4 talented musicians.

BUT...can we give some respect to the velvet underground...

john cale's - 1919 in paris is better than any post beatles album of any of those 4

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)

john cale's - 1919 in paris is better than any post beatles album of any of those 4

It's better if I just stand back on Velvet... :ph34r:

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
favorite post-beatles solo album? 

paul's 'ram' by a LONG shot.  one of my top 3 albums of all time.

Ram is excellent. That and Mac II are probably my favorite Paul albums (but damn the new one is quickly growing on me), and Speed of Sound is my favorite Wings release.

The first solo Beatle album is still the best -- George's All Things Must Pass. Supposedly there was a plan to de Specter-ize it ala' Let it Be Naked, but I don't know if that ever hppened or will happen.

Best solo John is hard because they were somewhat uneven, but I'll go with Imagine and Walls and Bridges as my personal favorites.

Best solo Ringo is probably a later one, 1992's Time Takes Time. It's actually quite good, and some of the studio guys on it sound eerily Beatlesqe in their playing and singing. Check it out if you get a chance. Also love the Nashville sound from Beaucoups of Blues and appreciate the RINGO LP as it was the last release all four Beatles ever appeared on together (not counting Free as a Bird and Real Love).

good-apollo.jpg

Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

This is my album of the year. Check it out if you're at all into prog, pop-rock, science-fiction, or comic books/graphic novels.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)

Pretty much true but All Things Must Pass isn't too far behind.

Just got The 101ers-Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited, Joe Strummer's band before The Clash. Only listened to it once so far but it's pretty interesting. Has a different version of Jail Guitar Doors called Lonely Mother's Son. Definitely not as good as the one on Super Black Market Clash but interesting nonetheless.

Also, got The Velvet Underground-Live At Max's Kansas City recently which is worth it just for the amazing versions of Sweet Jane, but it also has a load of other excellent stuff.