music

hi8is

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 06:58 AM)
Jesus is a REAL tough band to compare to anybody. The only one of theirs I had was the first one, as after that they real did away with much of what made them so well known in the beginning, and that was their amazing use of feedback. I have never heard a band that knew how to control it as well as they did.

To explain them? I would a take the 60's psychedelic bands, mix them with the 60's garage bands, add some 80's London Goth scene (before it was called "Goth" though) and add a dash of REM and 80's Pop, then throw on the feedback. Picture that sound, and you are getting close. Droning vocals though, and that is kind of the Psychedelic influence. They came about during the 80's garage band love that gave us Husker Du, The Lime Spiders, and The Scientists, so that is where the garage came from. The Goth...well...they wore alot of black.  :D

Ahhhh, the Lime Spiders!! :headbang

I saw them open for Public Image Ltd. about 1/2 my life ago, and they were VERY good. I thought their albums didn't do them justice, though - they sounded much better live than on record.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 01:20 AM)
I'm getting antsy for the Bob Mould show.

I just want the 29th to get here already!!!

I also picked up tickets for the Double Door Halloween show, which is ALWAYS a ton of fun.

This year Local H is performing as Hall & Oates - that's gonna be hilarious, and yet I get the feeling that the Local H treatment is gonna make some of those songs listenable.

Also appearing:

Ness as the Smiths

The Last Vegas as the Cult

Woolworthy as Jane's Addiction

The 8th Grade as Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band ( I could do without this one, actually )

Blackbox as Smashing Pumpkins

Good times. I'm thinking about being Ozzie for Halloween.

"Ay tell you, brother, thees keed ees a goo' bartainder......"

HOLY s*** you like the almighty H?? I love Halloween at DD. Can't make it this year though, I'll be at the Riv rockin' out to the Black Crowes.

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)
BRMC just play good rock and roll , dark night club rock and its a lot of fun. They put out an acoustic cd i really liked this year. their self titled is the best...really good pop hooks.

The fiery furnace's debut had them compared to the white stripes, but their next album blueberry boat was just this out of left field, epic album with 10 minute songs...i love it. They are from grant park i believe...brother and a sister, but they added others recently

Eh, finally heard BRMC, didn't hate it, but it didn't blow me over either.

I'll look out for FF though.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)
HOLY s*** you like the almighty H?? I love Halloween at DD. Can't make it this year though, I'll be at the Riv rockin' out to the Black Crowes.

Hell yeah, I love Local H!

I think Scott Lucas is quite under-rated as a guitarist.

I also like the side project he's in called Cisco Pike.

He doesn't sing for Pike and they have a bass player, so Scott can concentrate on ripping out some excellent solos.

Enjoy the Crowes, I'll be at the Double D enjoying the Halloween show ( and enduring the Seger portion of it, that's gonna be torture. Old Time Rock and Roll, Turn The Page, Night Moves...... :headshake :sleep :puke ).

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)

I also like the side project he's in called Cisco Pike.

He doesn't sing for Pike and they have a bass player, so Scott can concentrate on ripping out some excellent solos.

Enjoy the Crowes, I'll be at the Double D enjoying the Halloween show ( and enduring the Seger portion of it, that's gonna be torture. Old Time Rock and Roll, Turn The Page, Night Moves...... :headshake  :sleep  :puke ).

Lucas and the H are very underrated. Unfortunately they get labeled a grunge left over band. I've followed those guys from the beginning and yeah, they're no the gratest, but they are one of my favs.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 09:04 AM)
Ahhhh, the Lime Spiders!! :headbang

that reminds me of a band named The Pink Spiders. They had an album out call e 'Hot Pink' pretty good album.

Ive been wearing out my copy of The White Stripes 'Get Behind Me Satan'. man I fell for this album hardocre and havent let go

same with my Kinks 'Muswell Hillibillies' 'Low Budget' 'Misfts' 'Arthur..' and 'Lola...' albums. lol

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Actually saw a video for a song off I assume, their new record. Didn't make me want to listen to the rest, but maybe if I get my hands on it, I will.

don't count em out until you hear B.R.M.C.

"whatever happened to my rock n roll" is classic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
Gonna make a purchase, I need a suggestion. Must be something new, with energy and balls, raw guitars mandatory.

My buddy just turned me onto The Arcade Fire. I would check them out.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)

I used to see them everytime they came to Carbondale, they never failed to impress. A long while ago, I think in 1998, The urge came through carbondale with Fig Dish and Big Ass Truck opening up for them. Scott played guitar for Fig Dish at the time. Fig Dish opened up, and Big Ass Truck was second, and when BAT was finishing up, Fig Dish came out and they played a cover of Sweet Child o Mine by GnR. Scott played lead guitar and sang lead vocals, and they brought the house down. The place was electric.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
My buddy just turned me onto The Arcade Fire.  I would check them out.

f*** NO.

Not at all what I'm looking for. I saw those guys at Lolla a few months ago and I felt like I was at a cult meeting. Not sure what all the fuss is about. By the way, those guys are playing here this week I think.

Thx for the suggestion anyway.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
f*** NO.

Not at all what I'm looking for. I saw those guys at Lolla a few months ago and I felt like I was at a cult meeting. Not sure what all the fuss is about.  By the way, those guys are playing here this week I think.

thats funny, Lollapalooza was the reason my buddy liked them. I like their cd, there is alot going on, but I like that.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
coheed and cambria - second stage turbine blade

I see where you are going, but from a "technical" stand point, there is nothing "raw" what-so-ever in Coheed's guitars. They might be distorted, but they are polished to an insane degree.

Really good band though. That new one is pretty good, eh?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
I see where you are going, but from a "technical" stand point, there is nothing "raw" what-so-ever in Coheed's guitars. They might be distorted, but they are polished to an insane degree.

Really good band though. That new one is pretty good, eh?

Yeah they're not technically raw, I mean raw as in yes, they shred. As for the new album, it's a bit of a departure from the past, but it's a direction they like to go in and I'd put it only slightly under SSTB, which is pretty hard to beat.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
They had by far the biggest turnout of the whole festival.  People were REALLY diggin them, I almost feel asleep.

I felt like that when i saw a band named "Clever" open up for the Urge. The St Louis kids worshipped the ground these ass-hats walked on, but I thought they had little to no musical talent whatsoever. Unfortunately, they opened for the urge twice that i had to sit through.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
I felt like that when i saw a band named "Clever" open up for the Urge. The St Louis kids worshipped the ground these ass-hats walked on, but I thought they had little to no musical talent whatsoever.  Unfortunately, they opened for the urge twice that i had to sit through.

the Urge as in Urge Overkill? or the Urge??

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
the Urge as in Urge Overkill?  or the Urge??

As in The Urge. A St louis Ska band that used to rip it up. If you want a good party album, try "Recieving the Gift of Flavor" by the Urge. Its their first full length album. The albums afterwards(Too Much Stereo and Master of Styles) are good, but they got away from their punk a little too much. Without a doubt one of the most hectic shows i have ever seen though.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
f*** NO.

Not at all what I'm looking for.   I saw those guys at Lolla a few months ago and I felt like I was at a cult meeting.   Not sure what all the fuss is about.  By the way, those guys are playing here this week I think.

did you see them play with bowie on the fashion first show or whatever...it was brilliant. I unno, i think funeral is a great album, probably my top 2 of albums from 04. Neighborhood #2, wake up, neighborhood #3...they do some cool stuff...plus them live and album are too very different experiences, they're very theatrical...they owned coachella

and to the feller looking for raw guitars...

check out lightning bolts new one - hypermagic mountain...or the liars - they threw us in a ditch and put a monument on top.

Edited by bmags