music

hi8is

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
Cool, I'll check it out. Has the vocalist been through his shearing yet? Probably make a few wool sweaters with that insane mop of hair.  :D

Nope! It's really getting out of control...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
Hey Music lovers, ya might wanna check out this show for Katrina relief at Metro.

http://www.metrochicago.com/

Besides The Redwalls and The Ms, you guys like anyone else on the bill?

I don't like any of those bands, including the Redwalls and the M's.

I just saw that the Bob Mould show sold out. That's good - I'll be there tomorrow night! Hope he sells out on Friday too.

knowing the slight-to-medium indie flavor of this board, I am expecting alot of scoffs and pointing fingers at this, but I have to say that I really like the new Bloodhound Gang album that came out yesterday, "Hefty Fine". These guys may all be dick and fart jokes, but they have this 70's/punk rock/rap meld that just draws me in every time. It is almost a seemless transition from their last album, "Hooray for Boobies" in musical style, but it doesnt really come off as a repeated effort. Of course, they have had damn near 6 years to come up with these 12 new songs(actually, about 10 new songs, there are 2 soundbites that are 4 and 8 seconds long), But I think Jimmy Pop did a fine job.

I think I mostly enjoy thier albums because they make me laugh, but there are some really cool dance beats and catchy tunes mixed in there too.

/ducks thrown objects

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
knowing the slight-to-medium indie flavor of this board, I am expecting alot of scoffs and pointing fingers at this, but I have to say that I really like the new Bloodhound Gang album that came out yesterday, "Hefty Fine".  These guys may all be dick and fart jokes, but they have this 70's/punk rock/rap meld that just draws me in every time. It is almost a seemless transition from their last album, "Hooray for Boobies" in musical style, but it doesnt really come off as a repeated effort.  Of course, they have had damn near 6 years to come up with these 12 new songs(actually, about 10 new songs, there are 2 soundbites that are 4 and 8 seconds long), But I think Jimmy Pop did a fine job.

I think I mostly enjoy thier albums because they make me laugh, but there are some really cool dance beats and catchy tunes mixed in there too.

/ducks thrown objects

i think you'd be suprised how many "indie" kids i know that were looking forward to that album. But oddly enough, they were not impressed at all with it...i unno, i won't listen to it...

(radiohead is back in the studio :headbang )

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
did you see them play with bowie on the fashion first show or whatever...it was brilliant. I unno, i think funeral is a great album, probably my top 2 of albums from 04. Neighborhood #2, wake up, neighborhood #3...they do some cool stuff...plus them live and album are too very different experiences, they're very theatrical...they owned coachella

and to the feller looking for raw guitars...

check out lightning bolts new one - hypermagic mountain...or the liars - they threw us in a ditch and put a monument on top.

No, but I hear that Bowie is all over their nuts. To each his own, they bore me.

I'll check out the 2 bands you listed, thx.

In the Small World Department, since I just recently heard about her from a mention on this thread: Australian singer Missy Higgins is doing an in-store performance tomorrow, October 1 at 2:00 PM at Borders Bookstore, 830 N Michigan Ave, Chicago. She also has a regular gig at the Congress Theatre later that day.

Another free Borders music event sounds even more interesting – tonight, September 30 at 7:00 PM at their Uptown store, 4718 N. Broadway Avenue, Chicago – Taj Mahal is performing.

So I went to the Bob Mould show last night at Metro, and here are some highlights, lowlights and weird happenings:

I found a free, non-neighborhood-sticker parking space right across the street from the Deadly Confines. All the lights were on, there was an announcer announcing someone's names, I'm hearing cracks of the bat. Do they rent that place out when the Cubs are out of town? Weird. But not as weird as what I see as I round the corner - some f***tard is STANDING ACROSS FROM THE LEFT-FIELD BLEACHERS WITH A MITT!!!! Like whatever investment banker is taking BP is gonna crack one onto the street!!!!! :bang

I get to Metro just in time for the opening band, Uncut. I was not looking forward to their performance, based on the mp3s I heard on their webpage. They were SO MUCH BETTER live!! After a dreary, slow opening song, they kicked into gear and they were very good. The closest comparison I can make is Swervedriver. ( Hope someone out there knows who Swervedriver is.... :D ). All in all, a pleasant surprise.

After a prolonged battle with the bassist's microphone :lol: , the Bob Mould Band took the stage. Bob looks good, if a bit weathered. The highlight of this tour for me is the fact that Bob's playing Husker Du and Sugar songs in concert for the first time in ages, and he jumped right into the Sugar catalog to start the show. "The Act We Act", "A Good Idea" and "Changes" off of Copper Blue, IMO Sugar's best disc.

They followed the Sugar block with some of Bob's solo work, including the best song of the night, "Paralyzed" off of Bob's new disc Body of Song.

He then slowed it WAAAAAAY down with the first Husker song, "Hardly Getting Over It" from Candy Apple Grey. I wasn't thrilled with Bob's choice of Husker songs - he played things like "Celebrated Summer", which was fine, but not what I really wanted to hear. Anyway, a few more songs for an encore and a FINE night of classic alternative rock was over. I was very glad I came out to see him.

One minor complaint about Bob - he doesn't have the greatest singing voice to begin with ( it is distinctive and works fine for his studio work, he definitely has the kind of voice where you know right away who's singing ) but in concert he doesn't even really TRY to follow the melody of the song. His singing live doesn't even sound like the same song from his CDs. It's bothersome to me, although his guitar playing MORE than makes up for it.

Bob seemed to be really enjoying himself on stage, even doing the old familiar drunken stagger he did in the Husker days. The crowd was VERY into him, and loved the older stuff as well as the new songs. The crowd was older and Bob's gay contingent was well-represented. This was NOT the place to be if you are young, male, heterosexual and on the prowl! :lol: :lol:

He then slowed it WAAAAAAY down with the first Husker song, "Hardly Getting Over It" from Candy Apple Grey. I wasn't thrilled with Bob's choice of Husker songs - he played things like "Celebrated Summer", which was fine, but not what I really wanted to hear.

"Hardly" is one of the best Husker songs, IMO. Which other ones did he do from Du? My night would have been made had he just gone on stage and done "Standing In The Rain" and left. Not knocking Bob or Husker, as I do like them both a bunch, but that is such an amazing song.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
In the Small World Department, since I just recently heard about her from a mention on this thread:  Australian singer Missy Higgins is doing an in-store performance tomorrow, October 1 at 2:00 PM at Borders Bookstore, 830 N Michigan Ave, Chicago.  She also has a regular gig at the Congress Theatre later that day.

Yeah Missy's trying to crack the US market now like a lot of other Aussie female singers. Should go check it out, quite an unique voice she's got.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
"Hardly" is one of the best Husker songs, IMO. Which other ones did he do from Du? My night would have been made had he just gone on stage and done "Standing In The Rain" and left. Not knocking Bob or Husker, as I do like them both a bunch, but that is such an amazing song.

I didn't recognize any of the other Husker songs besides Hardly Getting Over It, Celebrated Summer, and one song I think was called I Apologize. He went way back for the Husker stuff. I'm guessing that the later stuff brings up bad memories, so maybe he stayed away from it for that reason.

Of course, I got into a hockey conversation with a couple of guys downstairs by the merch desk during some of the encores, so I probably missed three songs during the chat.

Oh, and I like Hardly too, just not at half-speed. It was sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssslooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwww.

Plus, this batch of f***tards took the opportunity to screech inane s*** like "BOB ROCKS!!!!" and the occasional "WHOOOOOO!!!!" during that song. Completely appropriate to scream Bob Rocks during THAT song, cuz it's so upbeat and happy.... :rolly :angry: :fight

Not a fan of these guys, but last night in the car I was listening to XRT. They mentioned The Spin Doctors have a new record out. They also said the group had taken a long break because their singer had lost his voice due to 'vocal paralysis'. Anyone know the story or familiar with this condition? Do you lose the ability to make any sound at all?

By the way, they played a new song and his vocals sound different now but their music still sucks...errr, I mean, is not to my liking.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
Not a fan of these guys, but last night in the car I was listening to XRT.  They mentioned The Spin Doctors have a new record out. They also said the group had taken a long break because their singer had lost his voice due to 'vocal paralysis'. Anyone know the story or familiar with this condition?  Do you lose the ability to make any sound at all?

By the way, they played a new song and his vocals sound different now but their music still sucks...errr, I mean, is not to my liking.

rejoice? uhh...

anyways...if anyone would like my favorite song from lightning bolt...(just pm me)

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
Not a fan of these guys, but last night in the car I was listening to XRT.  They mentioned The Spin Doctors have a new record out. They also said the group had taken a long break because their singer had lost his voice due to 'vocal paralysis'. Anyone know the story or familiar with this condition?  Do you lose the ability to make any sound at all?

What is different about his voice?

what the hell, apparantly i didn't have the REAL fionna apple, i'm so pissed, this is just soo out of place next to jon brions version...i'm really dissappointed

i hate DMB but this is much like lillywhite vs. that DB who did everyday

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
what the hell, apparantly i didn't have the REAL fionna apple, i'm so pissed, this is just soo out of place next to jon brions version...i'm really dissappointed

:unsure: :unsure: :huh: :huh: :huh :huh: :huh

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)

Where did this come from and what are you referring to?

The Extraordinary Machine album was leaked because of a battle between Fiona and Sony. She claims she never did it in an interview she did with Kanye West for Interview! magazine - but that's BS. Both her and Kanye leaked s*** out because they knew how good it was and the only way the label would know is if a bunch of critics told them too. It's been released now, but its different. One new song and everything else has been redone, right?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)

I don't know, I'm checking it out on Amazon right now, and they sound EXACTLY the same. Music is the same, voice is the same. I'm waiting though, maybe a song will wander along that doesn't sound like them, and maybe that is what you heard, but so far, nah, it's the same ol' crap.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
The Extraordinary Machine album was leaked because of a battle between Fiona and Sony. She claims she never did it in an interview she did with Kanye West for Interview! magazine - but that's BS. Both her and Kanye leaked s*** out because they knew how good it was and the only way the label would know is if a bunch of critics told them too. It's been released now, but its different. One new song and everything else has been redone, right?

exactly! Jon Brions stuff was so delicate and jazzy, and this is like trying to make it some pop hit it was in the mid to late nineties and its BAD and it DOESN"T WORK!!!

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
I don't know, I'm checking it out on Amazon right now, and they sound EXACTLY the same. Music is the same, voice is the same. I'm waiting though, maybe a song will wander along that doesn't sound like them, and maybe that is what you heard, but so far, nah, it's the same ol' crap.

The music is the same, the vocals sounded diff to me. :huh

By the way, someone told me that dude had totally lost his voice. Talk about sick luck. That'd be like a photgrapher waking up blind or a ballplayer losing his legs. He musta freaked out.

They still suck.... by the way.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
The music is the same, the vocals sounded diff to me. :huh

By the way, someone told me that dude had totally lost his voice. Talk about sick luck. That'd be like a photgrapher waking up blind or a ballplayer losing his legs.  He musta freaked out.

They still suck.... by the way.

I agree, they still suck. I would need to hear a better copy than the crap steaming...er...streaming files from Amazon. He sounds the same through that. Mind you, I will not be going to any great effort to hear them though, it was only curiosity doing the damage on the cat that made me go to that effort.