music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Nokona @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
Three bands I've been listening to non stop:

Panic! at the Disco (they played great at the Aragon on Friday)

How good is the last track on that cd? I love their twist on that verse from the sound of music.

Thrice - Vheissu

Wow. Been listening to this thing non-stop since I "obtained" a copy of the not yet relased album. (Don't worry just like W, God told me to "obtain" this album, so it's cool)

It's pretty different from they're last effort "The Artist in the Ambulance", very moody and atmospheric, but the heavy parts are in there, and they lyrics are very much Thrice-like.

Fav Tracks So far:

"The Earth Will Shake"

"For Miles"

"Music Box"

"Hold Fast Hope"

QUOTE(Cali @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
Thrice - Vheissu

Wow. Been listening to this thing non-stop since I "obtained" a copy of the not yet relased album. (Don't worry just like W, God told me to "obtain" this album, so it's cool)

It's pretty different from they're last effort "The Artist in the Ambulance", very moody and atmospheric, but the heavy parts are in there, and they lyrics are very much Thrice-like.

Fav Tracks So far:

"The Earth Will Shake"

"For Miles"

"Music Box"

"Hold Fast Hope"

I can't wait for that CD to come out. Been waiting for a new Thrice album for a long time.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
I can't wait for that CD to come out.  Been waiting for a new Thrice album for a long time.

Just be aware, it may throw you off the first time you hear it. Because it doesn't come right out and kick your ass like "TAITA". Well the first song "Image of the Invisible" is pretty rocking, but other than that it's very moody but rocking in songs 2-11.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
Holy s***, Dino returns!

Dinosaur Jr. will be playing TWO shows at Metro in late November. Tix go on sale tomorrow morning. :headbang  :headbang

I think someone else here is also a huge fan.

That would be me.

Excellent news EXCEPT....

Can't any band I like come to town on the WEEKEND anymore????

s***, am I sick of going to Wednesday and Thursday night shows.

Still, I don't think I can pass on Dinosaur Jr, and I don't have the Lollapalooza Excuse or the 4-Hour Round Trip excuse this time.

:D

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
That would be me.

Excellent news EXCEPT....

Can't any band I like come to town on the WEEKEND anymore????

s***, am I sick of going to Wednesday and Thursday night shows.

Still, I don't think I can pass on Dinosaur Jr, and I don't have the Lollapalooza Excuse or the 4-Hour Round Trip excuse this time.

:D

GET TO THE SHOW AND QUIT CRYING. :P

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
GET TO THE SHOW AND QUIT CRYING. :P

Actually, I decided to pass on it after all.

I've seen 'em twice already, and truth be told, I'm getting a bit tired of the concert scene. Call it old age, call it what you will, but I've had a good time at the shows I've been to lately but not near what it used to be for me.

So I'm gonna use that Dinosaur ticket money to get some AL Central Champs gear instead.

Needless to say, I expect a FULL, DETAILED review from you after the show.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)

I've seen 'em twice already, and truth be told, I'm getting a bit tired of the concert scene. Call it old age, call it what you will, but I've had a good time at the shows I've been to lately but not near what it used to be for me.

So I'm gonna use that Dinosaur ticket money to get some AL Central Champs gear instead.

tell me this doesn't happen to everyone!!!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)

OLD AGE?! C'mon TC, I'm pretty much the dinosaur of the board and I go to just as many shows as ever.

Actually, I know what you mean, it might just be burnout. I took a break for a couple of years and had fallen totally out of touch with music. I've rediscovered it in the past few years.

By the way, the tickets for Dino were $30.00 a pop, so yeah that should get you some nice Sox gear, enjoy.

Too lazy to look up who was talking about it earlier.

But I got the new Fiona Apple cd, and it's amazing. I would say it's my favorite of her albums to date. It's really, really, really good. I love everything about her music, her style, her lyrics, her voice, and this album didn't let me down. Fantastic.

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)

Unfortunately, it happens to most people.

I didn't think it would happen to me but it has, just recently.

And I don't know how old you are LMB, but I'm a crusty 42 years of old, and I just haven't been as pumped up to see shows as I have been. Even when I have a ticket, I find myself making excuses why I can't or shouldn't go.

So now I have decided ( finally ) to just skip seeing bands I've already seen and to just go to shows with the Mrs.

We'll see if the urge returns after a break. I hope so.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)

But I got the new Fiona Apple cd, and it's amazing. I would say it's my favorite of her albums to date. It's really, really, really good. I love everything about her music, her style, her lyrics, her voice, and this album didn't let me down. Fantastic.

Agreed. Not a week song on the album.

...and by week i mean weak. :bang

Edited by The Bones

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)

Yeah, but is she still 85 lbs., with a lot of misdirected anger?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
Yeah, but is she still 85 lbs., with a lot of misdirected anger?

she may still be 85 pounds, but ... i mean i hated, absolutely hated her with her first record, but her second album was soo good i couldn't help but love her.

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
she may still be 85 pounds, but ... i mean i hated, absolutely hated her with her first record, but her second album was soo good i couldn't help but love her.

Yeah, she wasn't wound too tightly for a while there. She was like a psychotic little brat, notorious for going ape s***, throwing crap and walking off stage for the silliest things. I remember at some award show she went on a rant about how the music industry is bulls*** and music award shows are bulls***, blah, blah, blah. Well then leave the industry Fiona and make music for yourself only, or is that pay check too fat for you to pass up? The checks were so fat she posed in her f***in' panties on the record sleeve. Way to take a stand there Fiona, pfft.

I didn't want to listen beyond that 1st record.

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)

It happened to me. But I was...ummm...23 or so. I started playing all the time with my band, between live shows and practice I had music balring in my ears 7 days a week. When we weren't playing, I was at friends shows running lights for them. With my band, we would walk off stage, and they would go and hang out. I would pack my gear into my car and go home. After shows I NEVER listened to music in the car, and always went to talk radio. After awhile, if I wasn't on the stage, I had no interest in being at a show.

Lately, it is the hassle of getting to shows. Trying to find parking in the city, shows during the week, trying to find parking in the city, having to drive all the way to the city, trying to find parking in the city, etc. all leads to a real easy thing to not do anymore.

I haven't played out in eons, but plan to starting next year again. I expect it might go the same way as before, but I don't plan on it. I play a totally different style now, and I won't be assaulted by some annoying 16 year olds crappy band anymore...I hope.

p.s. yes, I was one of those 16 year olds with a crappy band, so before you complain to me about "dissing" your crappy band, don't. In 10 years you will hear your band and go "man, did we suck!". Trust me...you will.

wicked wicked wicked dissapointed with the new atmosphere cd. it was supposed to be classic. it sucks. slug mumbles. ant didn't care to put in any effort.

been rocking pelican, comeback kid, and motion city soundtrack like there's no tomorrow. also, mike ness's "cheating at solitaire" (including a treeeeee-mendous cover of Dylan's "Don't Think Twice").

:snr

As an old man - 36 - I've been avoiding all thing rock and anything with lyrics for a long time now. Call me lame, I prefer jazz like Miles Davis, and lots of Brazilian music.

The only rock to turn my crank in the past few years is Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, though I also liked the new Cary Hudson, and I hear the new Nada Surf is good too...

Beyond that, as far as new stuff in rock goes, the bone has pretty much been picked dry.