music

hi8is

QUOTE(easyw @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
As an old man - 36 - I've been avoiding all thing rock and anything with lyrics for a long time now. Call me lame, I prefer jazz like Miles Davis, and lots of Brazilian music.

The only rock to turn my crank in the past few years is Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, though I also liked the new Cary Hudson, and I hear the new Nada Surf is good too...

Beyond that, as far as new stuff in rock goes, the bone has pretty much been picked dry.

I can't listen to much other than heavy rock or alternative music.

Most other genres bore me to tears.

and as an "older than you man" of 42 long, withering, tiring, achy years, I'm as surprised as anyone that my listening tastes haven't changed. Maybe I wouldn't feel so out-of-place at shows if I liked old people's music....

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(easyw @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 02:57 AM)
As an old man - 36 - I've been avoiding all thing rock and anything with lyrics for a long time now. Call me lame, I prefer jazz like Miles Davis, and lots of Brazilian music.

That's cool. While I'm not into pre-1966 jazz or any type of latin/brazillian fusion, I'd still have to say that you have good taste. A lot of the people in this forum listen to this talentless whiteboy crap that is completely devoid of any soul and is anything but timeless. Your typical Q101 setlist, basically.

When y'all buy albums, do they come with a bottle of aspirin? Or do you have to purchase the aspirin separately when you download songs and put them onto your I-PODS? Or do you steal your aspirin just like you steal your music? Are you then surprised when your favorite crappy whiteboy bands disappear, mostly because they suck, but also because you contribute no funds to their cause?

:lol:

Ahh, life is just too funny sometimes.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
That's cool.  While I'm not into pre-1966 jazz or any type of latin/brazillian fusion, I'd still have to say that you have good taste.  A lot of the people in this forum listen to this talentless whiteboy crap that is completely devoid of any soul and is anything but timeless.  Your typical Q101 setlist, basically.     

When y'all buy albums, do they come with a bottle of aspirin?  Or do you have to purchase the aspirin separately when you download songs and put them onto your I-PODS?  Or do you steal your aspirin just like you steal your music?  Are you then surprised when your favorite crappy whiteboy bands disappear, mostly because they suck, but also because you contribute no funds to their cause?

Ahh, life is just too funny sometimes.

I don't steal music. I go to artist websites, record label sites like epitaph.com, and places like purevolume.com to find music. When a major label band releases something I like, I buy it. Ministry, Bad Religion, Megadeth and Rise Against being recent examples of purchases ( so you can see how often that happens :D )

When Y'ALL buy jazz albums, do they come with a bottle of No-Doze? Or do you have to purchase the No-Doze separately when you put on the ol' Victrola?

....just as funny, polite and accurate as your comment....

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
I don't steal music. I go to artist websites, record label sites like epitaph.com, and places like purevolume.com to find music. When a major label band releases something I like, I buy it. Ministry, Bad Religion, Megadeth and Rise Against being recent examples of purchases ( so you can see how often that happens  :D )

When Y'ALL buy jazz albums, do they come with a bottle of No-Doze? Or do you have to purchase the No-Doze separately when you put on the ol' Victrola?

....just as funny, polite and accurate as your comment....

Yeah, but you're more of a purist. I thought you said that most of the stuff you like is from the 70s? You wouldn't really qualify. I'm mostly jsut referring to the current state of rock.

Just to clarify, I like a lot of Seattle-based grunge from teh early 90s, a little metal here and there, etc. I really like the Metallica "Garage Days" LP, but not much else. That's mostly just covers of stuff that you like, correct? Bread or something like that?

Oh, and as far as stealing music, I've read enough of these threads to know that you definitely wouldn't qualify. I'd agree that downloading music that is long out-of-print or unreleased is fine, but you and I both know that what people are pulling nowadays is incredibly f***ed up. They don't even think twice about it.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
Yeah, but you're more of a purist.  I thought you said that most of the stuff you like is from the 70s?  You wouldn't really qualify.  I'm mostly jsut referring to the current state of rock. 

Just to clarify, I like a lot of Seattle-based grunge from teh early 90s, a little metal here and there, etc.  I really like the Metallica "Garage Days" LP, but not much else.  That's mostly just covers of stuff that you like, correct?  Bread or something like that?

No, not entirely.

I like a lot of older stuff, but I'm always looking for new bands with a good sound.

My recent favorite is The Generators. A nice hard punk sound a la Social Distortion. I dig around for a lot of unsigned bands, I get a lot of links from local bands I like and stuff I see on boards like Metal Sludge. So I definitely don't consider myself "stuck in the 70's" by any means.

BREAD???? NO NO NO NO, OH GOD NO!!!!! :huh: :ph34r:

Garage Days was okay, Metallica covered some stuff I like, like the Misfits, Thin Lizzy, The Anti-Nowhere League, stuff like that.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
Oh, and as far as stealing music, I've read enough of these threads to know that you definitely wouldn't qualify.  I'd agree that downloading music that is long out-of-print or unreleased is fine, but you and I both know that what people are pulling nowadays is incredibly f***ed up.  They don't even think twice about it.

This is very true.

Although I have no problem taking a burned CD from a friend, especially if it was already unlikely that I'd ever buy it.

The Smashing Pumpkins second album with the space scene on the cover? That album has a lot of soul, and I ain't really a fan of Corgan. Check out the music on "Tonight", for instance. Tell me that doesn't hit hard on an emotional level.

That's all I want, just some music with soul. The Beatles have soul. Credence Clearwater Revival has soul. Dylan, Petty, and the Who have soul. It's not exclusive to any type of jazz-fusion or late 60s/early 70s R&B.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
No, not entirely.

I like a lot of older stuff, but I'm always looking for new bands with a good sound.

My recent favorite is The Generators. A nice hard punk sound a la Social Distortion. I dig around for a lot of unsigned bands, I get a lot of links from local bands I like and stuff I see on boards like Metal Sludge. So I definitely don't consider myself "stuck in the 70's" by any means.

BREAD???? NO NO NO NO, OH GOD NO!!!!!  :huh:  :ph34r:

Garage Days was okay, Metallica covered some stuff I like, like the Misfits, Thin Lizzy, The Anti-Nowhere League, stuff like that.

Yeah, I've never heard Bread, sorry about that.

The heart of the matter: As far as commercial rock goes, everything either sounds like Creed or Blink 182 to me. While it's nowhere near as bad as mainstream rap music, it still disturbs me. There is no innvoation, no soul, no nothing. Just a bunch of suburbanites in a garage.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
Oh, and as far as stealing music, I've read enough of these threads to know that you definitely wouldn't qualify.  I'd agree that downloading music that is long out-of-print or unreleased is fine, but you and I both know that what people are pulling nowadays is incredibly f***ed up.  They don't even think twice about it.

I don't steal music, but I don't for a second feel sorry for the record companies. Did you know that consumers paid almost 500 million dollars in artificially inflated prices from '98 to '00? They colluded in order to hold back competition in the CD music market. Now that is f***ed up. The FTC got them for that one.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
I don't steal music, but I don't for a second feel sorry for the record companies.  Did you know that consumers paid almost 500 million dollars in artificially inflated prices from '98 to '00?  They colluded in order to hold back competition in the CD music market.  Now that is f***ed up.  The FTC got them for that one.

You're right. Greed is not exclusive to any one side in this case.

And I know that plenty of soxtalk posters are students, and the cash flow is nonexistant. Believe me, there are plenty of exceptions to what I was saying. When I was in high school, I'd purchase a couple of cassette tapes per week, and it was great. Nowadays, people can download a s***load of albums per day with a DSL connection or whatever, and it's only gonna get worse. While I'm not an expert when it comes to technology, I see people in the not-so-distant future downloading 1000+ albums in mere seconds with just one click of a mouse. We'll reach a point where it will become unprofitable and a major waste of time on a whole to even put forth any effort into making music. But this is just me being nostradumbass, I could be way off the mark.

Off the topic, your sig reminds me of what a f***ing TERROR Frank Thomas was in his prime, and what a crime it was to rob the fans of his pursuit of all those historical numbers.

Maybe 62 would have meant more if a non-roider had gotten there first!

ALL HAIL NUMBER 35!!!!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
Off the topic, your sig reminds me of what a f***ing TERROR Frank Thomas was in his prime, and what a crime it was to rob the fans of his pursuit of all those historical numbers.

Maybe 62 would have meant more if a non-roider had gotten there first!

ALL HAIL NUMBER 35!!!!

Thanks, man! :headbang

Hey, you should have been on the Hall Of Fame ballot. I told the Administrator dude as much, and he agreed.

When I heard last week that the wonderful Shirley Horn, a jazz vocalist and pianist, had died, I pulled out the 11 albums of her music that I have and started listening almost solely to her for awhile. I haven’t yet tired of that musical diet.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5102101624.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/22/arts/music/22horn.html

May the music never end.

QUOTE(Cali @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
Thrice - Vheissu

Wow. Been listening to this thing non-stop since I "obtained" a copy of the not yet relased album. (Don't worry just like W, God told me to "obtain" this album, so it's cool)

It's pretty different from they're last effort "The Artist in the Ambulance", very moody and atmospheric, but the heavy parts are in there, and they lyrics are very much Thrice-like.

Fav Tracks So far:

"The Earth Will Shake"

"For Miles"

"Music Box"

"Hold Fast Hope"

Huge disappointment for me. Two of your fav tracks I really enjoy (The Earth, Music), but other than that this album has no staying power.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
Stone Cold Crazy?

Keep Yourself Alive?

Killer Queen?

.......ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................NOW I get it......................

dont forget fat-bottomed girls

In all this WS excitement, I'd forgotten about the big show at the Riv tonight:

An Evening With The Black Crowes. I heard they've had no opening band, they play and hour and a half, take short break, then play another hour and half. Should be wild especially on Halloween. Freak and roll with fellow Amoricans. Kid Gleason will be front and center with his all his taping gear. :P ;)