8. Gatsby's American Dream - Volcano

9. Anberlin - Never Take Friendship Personal

10. The Fall Of Troy - Doppelganger

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
naw man sleater kinney was 05, i totally forgot about that...the first song on that album was great

I do love The Fox... track 3 (whose name I cant remember at the moment) really stands out for me as well.

It was a relatively slow year this year. Beck's album sucked - and I'm a big fan of the "everything but the kitchen sink" style. Ben Folds was a disappointment as well. Whole albums seemed somewhat lacking for the most part, but I've found stronger singles from artists I love though.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
I do love The Fox... track 3 (whose name I cant remember at the moment) really stands out for me as well.

It was a relatively slow year this year. Beck's album sucked - and I'm a big fan of the "everything but the kitchen sink" style. Ben Folds was a disappointment as well. Whole albums seemed somewhat lacking for the most part, but I've found stronger singles from artists I love though.

i also left out all the dungen records because i couldn't figure out what was released in 05...

yeah, i didn't hate guero, it had some standouts like lazarene...but i was very disappointed. Depended on where you looked on whether or not you were disappointed, it certainly was no 2000 or 2002

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
I think Ben Folds is becoming James Taylor with a piano and without the heroin addiction.

i absolutely hated his new album. It was sappy and gross and lacked the clever songwriting and more gritty production

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
But this is a good thing!

Check out a band that sounds interesting, hit their website, listen to them. Maybe you'll come across your new favorite band that way.

Every band is unknown the first time you hear them, after all.

:cheers

yeah, I do that a lot(myspace helps with linking to new bands sites as does isound.com).....but i was referring to the genre all these bands bmags and co. come up with.....not my taste

I know bmags has a big taste in music, i've seen him list a few of my favorites on this thread also

Edited by TheBlackSox8

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
New Strokes album is pretty good.  I'd suggest it, plus the booklet in the album has cool artwork, not that it matters but it's still kinda neat.

yuck...the cover was gross

i'm pretty mixed...i thought it could have been an incredible EP, but as it stands...by far their worst record. A shame because is this it and half of room on fire were great

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
What's the VERY last thing you chose to listen to?

The Mars Volta-Frances the Mute.  It's on now.  :headbang

The VERY last thing I listened to last night was Anthrax - "Anthrology: No Hit Wonders". Burned a copy for my cousin.

Before that was The Cartels "Kingpin" and Ginger's "Valor Del Corazon".

QUOTE(supernuke @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
What the hell are you people talking about.

Damn. I used to be with it, but now what I'm with isn't it and what is it is strange and scary.

Trust me, those albums I listed are NOT popular music. Though, Robin Black is from your country and should be HUGE...but alas...he isn't...yet.

http://www.robinblackrocks.com/

QUOTE(supernuke @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
What the hell are you people talking about.

Damn. I used to be with it, but now what I'm with isn't it and what is it is strange and scary.

Well................my wife has Loverboy's greatest hits...................howzat???

:D

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
Anyone seeing The Stones on this leg of the tour?  Jim D says stay home.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/entertainme...r-stones25.html

Yeah, I read that.

He comes off as elitist, I thought. If I'm paying 450 bucks to see a band ( which I NEVER EVER would, by the way ), I want to hear ONLY the songs I like. I doubt very much that anyone in that crowd except him wanted the Stones to go off on a sloppy bluesy obscure riff-romp. They wanted to hear the songs that made them like the Stones enough to pay FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY f***ing dollars to see them.

Jim D says to stay home for most acts. And the ones he suggests going to see like the Flaming Pile Of s***.....oops, sorry, the Flaming Lips.....I'd never go to see in the first place.

Jim D. comes off as arrogant quite often. I like the guy kind of (is he a "short person, BTW?), but he pisses me off at other times and uses "slams" to cover up his lack of knowledge at times, instead of just admitting he is unfamiliar with a band or style. I wrote to him once and mentioned my (at the time) fave band Marillion. He slammed them by saying that they hadn't done anything worthwhile since their original vocalist had left. When in reality the band had just recently put out their most "critically" and fan praised album in their careers and had just finished a very successful US tour. He can be rude with no reason at times.

The Stones though I am passing on. They are so far removed from what I believe RnR to being anymore. They may have once been the greatest (I will argue the case to a degree) RnR band ever, but they are no longer what it is about. They are a machine now and an act. I could never pay that much money for that. But for the fans who can afford it, I expect that the Stones deliver EXACTLY what the fans are hoping for. I can't imagine them actually being a disappointment to their fans.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
Jim D. comes off as arrogant quite often. I like the guy kind of (is he a "short person, BTW?), but he pisses me off at other times and uses "slams" to cover up his lack of knowledge at times, instead of just admitting he is unfamiliar with a band or style. I wrote to him once and mentioned my (at the time) fave band Marillion. He slammed them by saying that they hadn't done anything worthwhile since their original vocalist had left. When in reality the band had just recently put out their most "critically" and fan praised album in their careers and had just finished a very successful US tour. He can be rude with no reason at times.

The Stones though I am passing on. They are so far removed from what I believe RnR to being anymore. They may have once been the greatest (I will argue the case to a degree) RnR band ever, but they are no longer what it is about. They are a machine now and an act. I could never pay that much money for that. But for the fans who can afford it, I expect that the Stones deliver EXACTLY what the fans are hoping for. I can't imagine them actually being a disappointment to their fans.

He's not particularly short, I don't believe, but he IS particularly wide and thick.

I saw him once at the Riviera for a Dinosaur Jr. show and he was gasping for air just waddling up the side aisle. He's a drummer for a local band ( whose name escapes me ) so even when he's not sitting at a computer he's sitting behind a drum kit.

I find him amusing, especially his man-crush for the Flaming Lips, but I rarely find him informative.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
He had a picture in the paper once that made him look like a "short person". Ya know..I guess a "dwarf" is the proper word.

I thought he was a bassist. No?

No, he's a skin-slapper.....and a drummer..... :lol:

That picture of him in the Times does make him look like a "little person", but I think he's average height, maybe a touch shorter.