music

hi8is

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)
ooh, i want to be cool and do that...and then everyones gonna think i'm a jagoff...damnit. College town with high turnover...DAMN THAT...

feist was nice and looked right at me, and said "oh yeah?" course i was too drunk to remember what i said...i'm hoping it was interesting.

Haha, i have to remember to do this at Dino Jr. and not Built to spill haha...

ah, you're THAT guy at the shows.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 05:18 AM)
ah, you're THAT guy at the shows.

i remember that's the ONLY time i screamed...i SWEAR!!!

nothing i cringe more at than "I love _____" or "Marry me _______"

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
confession:  I like the last The Strokes disc.  :ph34r:

i don't believe you. I loved the strokes but first impressions of earth is the biggest tripe i've ever heard! i can stand the first 3 tracks and it gets exponentially worse its quite astounding how conistently bad it got from track to track.

i don't believe you. I loved the strokes but first impressions of earth is the biggest tripe i've ever heard! i can stand the first 3 tracks and it gets exponentially worse its quite astounding how conistently bad it got from track to track.

[/quote

A guy in my office has been spinnin' it for the past week or so and I don't mind it at all. Maybe it's just gettin' pounded into my head. :huh

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)

i don't think there has ever been a band i hate more than the strokes

ever

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
did he give up on Tomahawk already?

no their 3rd is coming... this is the article from tinymixtapes.com

Mike Patton's Peeping Tom Is Out On Parole on May 30th, Will Continue Staring At You Lecherously

Just last week, former Guns 'N Roses guitarist Slash made like Stork and spilled the beans that Chinese Democracy, the long gestating follow-up to 1993's The Spaghetti Incident will finally be released next month. Also last week, Ipecac Records announced that it would finally release Mike Patton's seven-years-in-the-making solo project, Peeping Tom on May 30th of this year. To the untrained eye, these may seem like two completely unrelated news items, but they are, in fact, tied by a bind that dates all the way to 1992.

As some of you might recall, 1992 was the year that Faith No More opened for the rock behemoth that has also become known as the Metallica/Guns N' Roses Tour That Made Metalheads Everywhere Pop Chubbies Like They Never Had Before. Through various interviews and countless hours of hyper-intensive investigative journalism, I have come to believe that on Jan 17th, 1992 at approximately 6:17 pm, Mike Patton and Axl Rose simultaneously reached for the croutons at the backstage buffet, brushing hands for a brief moment. That moment inadvertently opened a wormhole/nexus/thingamajobber that caused the universes of the two men to simultaneously intertwine and diverge, creating a real-life, rock and roll version of the Highlights Magazine morality comic "Goofus and Gallant." Since that time, Mike Patton has gone on to be the anti-rock star shunning both fame and easy fortune. He has been ridiculously prolific, taking part in and/or spearheading numerous projects, manifesting in albums and a record label. Axl Rose, on the other hand, has reveled in his celebrity, hobnobbing at various Hollywood events and coasting on his quickly fading fame. He has allegedly re-recorded the same album at least three times.

While most people couldn't give half-a-s*** about Chinese Democracy, Mike Patton's Peeping Tom project has been slowly building hype through fake leaked demos, delayed release dates, and a list of collaborators that most people would give their left nut for (you're all male readers, right?). While one reason for the delay was the logistics of working with so many people, another reason was that several major labels had expressed interest in releasing the album. Patton recently told MTV.com, "There were offers from major labels, and I made the grave error of entertaining some of those offers, and that cost me about a year of wining, dining, singing and dancing and ultimately, I was left holding my nuts. And I deserved it. I should have known better." Nuts in hand, Patton trudged on enlisting an incredible array of musicians to help with the project, including Odd Nosdam, Jel & Doseone from Anticon, Dan The Automator, Rahzel, Norah Jones, Kool Keith, Bebel Gilberto, Amon Tobin, Massive Attack, Kid Koala, Dale Crover, and Cypress Hill's DJ Muggs. That is not a misprint: Norah Jones will be on the record. And she's got a potty-mouth!

As for the sound of the record, Dale Crover of The Melvins recently told Billboard, "He's mentioned that it's going to be more straightforward for him. I don't know how many songs he recorded -- an insane amount, like 30. There's a lot of layered vocals -- like Beach Boys style. Some hip hop-y sort of beats. It's weird. It's drum machine mixed with live drums mixed with crazy samples, but then there's guitar and bass." Eleven of those alleged 30 songs will be on the album, including "Five Seconds", "Mojo", "Don't EvenTrip", "Kill the DJ", "Sucker", "We're Not Alone", "Caipirinha", and "Your Neighborhood Spaceman." The rest are rumored to be released on a second Peeping Tom album later this year. Patton's views on the album are similar to Crover's. "It's very streamlined, very slick — it's a groove record," Patton told MTV.com. "I used programmers and producers from the electronic world and the hip-hop world, in some cases. If there's a sound to [the record], it leans into those worlds. There are simple structures. I'm singing, there's lyrics — to me, it's a pop record. It's something I'd want to turn on the radio and hear."

And just because people are making a big deal about this album doesn't mean that it's the only project on Mike's plate. Patton made his acting debut in last year's independent film Firecracker, a David Lynch-style film in which Patton plays two different characters. The film had very limited release in theaters and will be released on DVD on May 23rd. Patton also plans on working with Dan "The Automator" Nakamura on a second Lovage album, has completed vocals for three tracks on the next Massive Attack album, is composing two film soundtracks, and plans on hitting the studio with Tomahawk by the end of the year to work on their third album. If my theory about the correlation between Patton and Rose works out the way I think it does, we won't be hearing from Axl for a very long time.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
I have never understood the obssesion with Faith No More or Patton.  People still talk about both like the record dropped just yesterday.

i find people have a pretty strong sentimentality with most of the bands of the late 80's early 90's

that said i was never a big faith no more fan but some of pattons later stuff has been really good. Especially tomahawk.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
i find people have a pretty strong sentimentality with most of the bands of the late 80's early 90's

that said i was never a big faith no more fan but some of pattons later stuff has been really good. Especially tomahawk.

I sure do, but FNM was always mediocre and Patton was a goofball.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)

angel dust and king for a day are excellent albums.

also, i like the track patton did with melt banana.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
  you know melt banana?!!?!?

melt banana is great, i really like a lot of the stuff they released on skingraft

if you haven't seen em play live i highly recommend checking them out

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(whitesoxfan13 @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
Montgomery Gentry, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, etc.

Yeah, I'm a country fan (mostly popular modern pop/rock-country, not the fifty year old hick stuff that people stereotype country as) . So sue me.  :lol:

It truly pains me of embarassment to read what I wrote above. I have very matured since I wrote that and have since "discovered" old and neotraditional country (true country). My favorite artists are now George Jones, Johnny Cash, and Hank Williams Jr., Joe Diffie, and Brad Paisley. I now realize that artists like Keith Urban, Chesney, Sugarland are merely pop pseudocountry and don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the greats. I can barely longer stand to watch CMT with Merle Haggard's "America First" video being shunned while crap like Honky Tonk Badonkadonk being played 800 times a day.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)

Speaking of which, at my Poker Game last Thursday Night we were listening to What's the Story Morning Glory by Oasis? Still gotta be one of the best albums of its time.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 04:44 AM)
Speaking of which, at my Poker Game last Thursday Night we were listening to What's the Story Morning Glory by Oasis? Still gotta be one of the best albums of its time.

it wasn't even as good as their debut...

but oh man, get a british guy started on the britpop era and their heart melts...

in response to mr. genius, i want to see melt banana badly, and boris, and acid mothers temple...and damo suzuki's band, but they aren't comin to columbia...

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)
it wasn't even as good as their debut...

but oh man, get a british guy started on the britpop era and their heart melts...

in response to mr. genius, i want to see melt banana badly, and boris, and acid mothers temple...and damo suzuki's band, but they aren't comin to columbia...

Ahem!

Currently I am engrossed in the world of Tom Waits. Just replaced all my old vinyl stuff for CD (took a job lot of a mate). This led me to buy some stuff I hadn't heard before; I listened to Bone Machine while running today, I don't know where the time went, this album has to be one of his best, absolutely overpowering.

Edited by DePloderer

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
Currently I am engrossed in the world of Tom Waits. Just replaced all my old vinyl stuff for CD (took a job lot of a mate). This led me to buy some stuff I hadn't heard before; I listened to Bone Machine while running today, I don't know where the time went, this album has to be one of his best, absolutely overpowering.

oooh god i love tom waits. Swordfishtrombones or rain dogs is probably my favorite. He's been so remarkably consistent it's ridiculous. I'd love to have vinyls of his stuff.