music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
I heard 'Magic' by The Cars over the weekend and it's stuck in my head.  What a great, great song.  My wife is a big Cars fan and I've always kinda written them off as 80's cheese.  I might have to give that greatest hits CD a spin again.

I went on a Cars DLing spree last year. Thier stuff is great, I love listening to it. They have a lot of songs that you hear and say "Oh yeah, I remember that song....I love that song."

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
I went on a Cars DLing spree last year.  Thier stuff is great, I love listening to it.  They have a lot of songs that you hear and say "Oh yeah, I remember that song....I love that song."

I know what you mean. The simplicity of his lyrics have a certain charm to them.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
I heard 'Magic' by The Cars over the weekend and it's stuck in my head.  What a great, great song.  My wife is a big Cars fan and I've always kinda written them off as 80's cheese.  I might have to give that greatest hits CD a spin again.

80's cheese :angry:

the only time weezer has been good has been when they've used their cars influence...

also...anyone familiar with "the feelies"?

I'm convinced The Cars are the most beloved band of all time. I know people who hate The Beatles, but I don't know anybody who hates The Cars.

Though the new song by The New Cars is just O.K. at best. It might be better with Okasek or Orr (RIP) singing instead of Rundgren, but eh, it's not what one would hope from a band that is trying to be anything related to The Cars.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 12:06 AM)
I'm convinced The Cars are the most beloved band of all time. I know people who hate The Beatles, but I don't know anybody who hates The Cars.

Though the new song by The New Cars is just O.K. at best. It might be better with Okasek or Orr (RIP) singing instead of Rundgren, but eh, it's not what one would hope from a band that is trying to be anything related to The Cars.

i've met somebody who didn't care for the cars... he thought it was a gimmick at first that i was listening to them, then he started to really like it...same kind of thing with pulp...i think people are scared of that pop music then they realize how enjoyable it is.

But remember, in the beginning The Cars were NOT Pop. Pop caught up to what They were doing. The sound of Pop became what The Cars were, but in their decline.

But The Cars were always too cool for the radio and the popular world, which is why they went away just when they hit their biggest success.

yeah, pop i use in two terms really...there is pop - britney spears and stuff...

and then there is pop, i look at as the common themes in music we come to know and love...i wouldn't consider pulp to be pop either...its those pop themes...hard to explain but...i mean mogwai isn't pop...you know?

I think Ric has too much integrity to spend too much time with the past. He gave them all his blessing though, and I think he recommended them hooking up with Rundgren. In all honesty, Rundgren hits the Okasek sound pretty decent on the new song. I have known for quite sometime that this was going on, as I belong to a Gretsch guitars discussion board and Elliot Easton is a member and he started letting little hints start slipping a long time ago. But I didn't know a new song had suddenly shown up until I was flipping through the channels and saw Elliot in a new video, so I stopped to watch and sure enough, it was The New Cars. The new album (a live one with a couple studio tracks) is just about to come out.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)
yeah, pop i use in two terms really...there is pop - britney spears and stuff...

and then there is pop, i look at as the common themes in music we come to know and love...i wouldn't consider pulp to be pop either...its those pop themes...hard to explain but...i mean mogwai isn't pop...you know?

Nope. Don't fool yourself, pop is pop. I like some pop, but I still know it's pop. :D

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
I think Ric has too much integrity to spend too much time with the past. He gave them all his blessing though, and I think he recommended them hooking up with Rundgren. In all honesty, Rundgren hits the Okasek sound pretty decent on the new song. I have known for quite sometime that this was going on, as I belong to a Gretsch guitars discussion board and Elliot Easton is a member and he started letting little hints start slipping a long time ago. But I didn't know a new song had suddenly shown up until I was flipping through the channels and saw Elliot in a new video, so I stopped to watch and sure enough, it was The New Cars. The new album (a live one with a couple studio tracks) is just about to come out.

I hate the name though. Why not just the SUVs? Or Luxury Sedans? The New Cars? Awful.

In other news, I have determined my favorite moment in British 90s hard rock. 4st7lb by Manic Street Preachers. Its just so raw and painful and beautiful. It's how I felt in love with the band and definitely their finest moment of turning away from the Arena/CockRock hybrid that they had flirted with in their first two albums. There were definite hints of greatness before Theholybible came out - mostly "La Tristessa Durera (Scream to a Sigh)" and their cover of Suicide Is Painless. But 4st7lb is pure genius.

4REAL.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
I hate the name though. Why not just the SUVs? Or Luxury Sedans? The New Cars? Awful.

In other news, I have determined my favorite moment in British 90s hard rock. 4st7lb by Manic Street Preachers. Its just so raw and painful and beautiful. It's how I felt in love with the band and definitely their finest moment of turning away from the Arena/CockRock hybrid that they had flirted with in their first two albums. There were definite hints of greatness before Theholybible came out - mostly "La Tristessa Durera (Scream to a Sigh)" and their cover of Suicide Is Painless. But 4st7lb is pure genius.

4REAL.

They've bored the piss out of me since Richey "left". Their best was the "Stay Beautiful" EP. I love quite a bit of the guitar work on Generation Terrorists. I also enjoy the overall writing of Gold Against The Soul. Holy Bible is overrated, IMO.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
They've bored the piss out of me since Richey "left". Their best was the "Stay Beautiful" EP. I love quite a bit of the guitar work on Generation Terrorists. I also enjoy the overall writing of Gold Against The Soul. Holy Bible is overrated, IMO.

I actually found the only thing interesting about the band pre Theholybible was Richey's craziness. 4REAL!

I loved Everything Must Go and This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours. To be honest, everything since has kinda sucked.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
I actually found the only thing interesting about the band pre Theholybible was Richey's craziness. 4REAL!

I loved Everything Must Go and This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours. To be honest, everything since has kinda sucked.

The last one was beyond boring. I'm glad they got the success that they did though. Plus there is also a bit of the respect for them NOT trying to continue on in the Richey style, even though Richey mainly did the lyrics for them. But I think his wreckless side was the heart behind the music in the beginning, even though he wasn't writing it.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
holy bible overrated? maybe in some circles...great great album.

The people that like St. Preachers consider it a classic. I just don't find it that stunning. I prefer the stuff before it. Good, I will go with.

But nothing touches "Star Lover".

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 12:08 PM)
Actually he really only wrote lyrics for Theholybible and part of Everything Must Go.

I believe the teaming for everything was Richey and the drummer did all the words, and the lead vocalist and bassist wrote all the music. Names are escaping me right now. :huh