music

hi8is

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 9, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
Axl is a nut job.    I wonder why he'd want to revive his career.  He should still have enough money and he hated the fame, freaked out and became a hermit....and his voice is shot

Slash can play with anyone he wants and Izzy always seemed content with laying low and out of the spotlight....and his record with the Ju Ju Hounds record was decent.

Izzy has actually had about 4 albums since that first Ju Ju release, all of them better than that one. He stepped out of the limelight, but never stopped playing and recording, until the past 2 years or so.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ May 9, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
Izzy has actually had about 4 albums since that first Ju Ju release, all of them better than that one. He stepped out of the limelight, but never stopped playing and recording, until the past 2 years or so.

I heard bits and pieces of Izzy's stuff and it was pretty good.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 9, 2006 -> 10:23 AM)
Those three guys HATE one another, a reunion would floor me.

Thats why I posted this, I never thought Axl would even consider playing with those guys again. Maybe Axl finally realized that he wasnt the only one on the previous records.

believe the p4k hype...Danielson - Ships is a damn good album...my third fav this year behind Drums not dead and Destroyer's Rubies. If you like sufjan give it a try. Its a bit more out there but its a lot of fun.

or not. who knows.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
I was not at this show, but I bet this review is 100% accurate. These guys are the most overated band of the past 5 years or so. This is not rock n roll, it's the cure for insomnia.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/derogatis/c...tr-sigur11.html

you've got to be f***ing kidding me, i've seen sigur ros live and its one of the most transcending experiences i've had live. Their highs are ten times better than others can dream and the hit them every god damn night. They take the pressure off stage performance with fantastic videos they project behind them. I don't need the fat f*** jim derogatis to drool over the future embrace then claim sigur ros is a boring show. And more stupid potshots at "hopelandic" songwriting when most of takk was written in icelandic. He can go slob avril lavignes knob some more the dope.

"...They take the pressure off stage performance with fantastic videos they project behind them...."

We are supposedly talking about a live, rock n roll show, right?

To each his own, but I find it ridiculous that these guys are categorized as rock music. They're records should be in the 'ambient' section right behind that Moby record that was mostly silence occasionally interrupted by sounds of a leaky faucet and f***in wind.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ May 13, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
New album by hoobastank comin out soon called Every Man for Himself, listened to it online sounds good.

Ugh Hoobastank is in the team picture with Nickelback for bands gone bad...that new CD plays like a childrens Disney special.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 13, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
"...They take the pressure off stage performance with fantastic videos they project behind them...."

To each his own, but I find it ridiculous that these guys are categorized as rock music. They're records should be in the 'ambient' section right behind that Moby record that was mostly silence occasionally interrupted by sounds of a leaky faucet and f***in wind.

why should that matter? If you categorize them as that would that make their live show all the sudden acceptable. How many sigur ros albums have you heard? you sound ridiculous right now.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 13, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
Ugh Hoobastank is in the team picture with Nickelback for bands gone bad...that new CD plays like a childrens Disney special.

LMAO, took the words right out of my mouth

I have been on a Jethro Tull fix in the last month. My Dad has the greatest hits album(because I am too lazy to peruse all of Jethro Tulls albums at this point), and I have been playing the crap out of it. Locomotive Breath is such an awesome song.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(bmags @ May 13, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
why should that matter? If you categorize them as that would that make their live show all the sudden acceptable. How many sigur ros albums have you heard? you sound ridiculous right now.

Nope and I've heard enough to know they'd still suck, but at least I wouldn't have to keep hearing and reading about them in rock n roll discussions.

On a whim, went to see The Secret Machines at their midnight show at Metro last night. Those guys are perfect in that size venue. They're slowly coming out of their shells and becoming a better live act.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 14, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Nope and I've heard enough to know they'd still suck, but at least I wouldn't have to keep hearing and reading about them in rock n roll discussions.

On a whim, went to see The Secret Machines at their midnight show at Metro last night. Those guys are perfect in that size venue. They're slowly coming out of their shells and becoming a better live act.

you talk about bad live shows and you bring up the secret machines...

I just don't understand your argument...sigur ros should conform to a more conventional rock format to fit in with the rock n roll conversations other people are having about them, and you hold that against them? They are great musicians that create beautiful musical soundscapes. They are masters at creating buildup and euphoric climaxes...they are guilty of some some lengthy songs, but in the context of the entire record, they deserve everything they get.

Whatever you think about Sigur Ros aside (personally I find them completely captivating about 75% of the time, but I'm not sure I'd want to see them live), I think we can safely say Jim DeRogatis has been a douche long before this column. I figured it out when he wouldn't stop worshipping at Courtney Love's jockstrap on his awful Sunday night radio show.

So, I've listened to bits and pieces of Stadium Arcadium, and Dani California and Stadium Arcadium seem to be the best of the album, with Snow trailing behind. Then again, you can't listend to the full songs to try them out on iTunes, but the first two were the only ones I went out of my way to download.

Still playing the hell out my RHCP Greatest Hits songs.....:)

I've been reading Nina Antonia's In Cold Blood: The Official Johnny Thunders Biography. I've been a fan of Johnny's for over 20 years now, and (obviously) always knew about his slight problem with junk, but how exactly how far gone he was is amazing. The man made Keith Richards look like a friggin' saint. So obviously I've been on a big NY Dolls/Heartbreakers/Gang War/JT solo kick. It still amazes me how hot and cold his playing always ran. But the book is truely heartbreaking if the man served as any form of inspiration to you. Without him, I can honestly say, I would never have turned into what I did way back in '84.

Right now I am listening to probably the biggest of the original Thunders rip-off artists: The Sex Pistols. Still a good CD, but amazing how it has tamed over the years. Once it was all aggression, now it's just some cool riffs with some nice lyrics.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ May 14, 2006 -> 06:38 PM)
Right now I am listening to probably the biggest of the original Thunders rip-off artists: The Sex Pistols. Still a good CD, but amazing how it has tamed over the years. Once it was all aggression, now it's just some cool riffs with some nice lyrics.

Never Mind The Bollocks will always be on any "Top 10 albums" list of mine.

Whenever I hear it, it's still 1977 in my mind and I still hear the aggression in every note.

I understand what you're saying about it "taming" in the face of everything that's come since, but it will really never tame to my ears.

Just a great disc to listen to, and one of the records that changed the way I hear rock music.

Yeah, I wasn't a listener when it first came out, after all I was only 7. But when I first heard it (probably around'83 or '84) I was blown away by it. But even then, once I heard The Dead Boys the Pistols started to fade away. It's still a great disc, and a must have for anybody who enjoys "in your face Rock and Roll", just not as "oooooo" as when I first heard it. I have a buddy who refuses to give it a fair chance, even though he loves stuff like Backyards, Hellacopters, Gluecifer, etc. It just baffles my mind.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 13, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)

Yeah, man, f*** those Icelandic freaks who don't play formulaic rock and roll that's been beat into the ground for the past decade. If you honestly think Sigur Ros is ambient, see them live, if not, you can be an ignoramus somewhere else. Please try and label them ambient after listening to Hjartad Hamast, Ny Batteri or Untitled #8.

Brian Eno is ambient, William Basinski is ambient, you're just flat out wrong. I mean, the only apt analogy I can find is like you listened to half of Mogwai's catalog and labeled them quiet. You're so wrong you're unbelivable.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ May 14, 2006 -> 10:08 PM)
does any one else here enjoy radiohead

I'm pumped that I'm going to both chicago shows this June

any one else get tickets or try ect...

I can deal with them, but I don't see the fascination. It's mind boggling that some people call them music geniuses. :huh