Any bug experts

I opened my car door today and thought I noticed a frog leap into the corner of my garage. I didn't see anything except for 8 long ass antennas coming out from underneath the lawn mower. I am afraid of any bug larger than a house spider so I called for my dad.

My dad comes into the garage with some raid expecting a routine killing, however upon lifting the lawn mower, a pack of huge ass bugs came leaping around. These things were the size of frogs and jumped like frogs. After about 45 minutes of uncontrolled sprayings of raid, and after 2 brooms were broken trying to swat the things, 9 lay dead.

Here is how I can describe them

Including antennas they were as big as 5 inches long. They leapt like a grass hopper or frog. They had big upside down V shaped legs, and there bodies were thick.

Neither me or my dad have seen these things before in our lives. The bug guy is coming out to investigate. Anyone think they recognize what these mother f***ers are?

Well I had to do an insect collection, identifying and pinning 40 insects, so I have some experience about bugs. And I've heard about the the whole cicada invasion in the east coast. If it was hopping, it sure sounds like a grasshopper (you'd be surprised how big they can get).

It would really help if you had a pic.

thanks for the help guys, just found out a neighbor had a similar bug in their house, and a friend saw one too.

Definately not cicadas, I guess it could be a grass hopper, but it is a different color, and body.

I opened my car door today and thought I noticed a frog leap into the corner of my garage.  I didn't see anything except for 8 long ass antennas coming out from underneath the lawn mower.  I am afraid of any bug larger than a house spider so I called for my dad. 

My dad comes into the garage with some raid expecting a routine killing, however upon lifting the lawn mower, a pack of huge ass bugs came leaping around.  These things were the size of frogs and jumped like frogs.  After about 45 minutes of uncontrolled sprayings of raid, and after 2 brooms were broken trying to swat the things, 9 lay dead.

Here is how I can describe them

Including antennas they were as big as 5 inches long.  They leapt like a grass hopper or frog.  They had big upside down V shaped legs, and there bodies were thick.

Neither me or my dad have seen these things before in our lives.  The bug guy is coming out to investigate.  Anyone think they recognize what these mother f***ers are?

No clue what bugs they were, but I'm afraid of bugs in closed spaces..not outside though..I walked to my 2nd car today and they were about 3 or so bees living in my rear view mirror on the driver side..lol There was a bee comb in there and s***..Bees must love my Corsica, cause I had a bee live inside the gas tank door..it's sorta cracked open just a bit and it settled in there...f***in bees..now I gotta buy some RAID for bees and s*** :banghead

I'd ask FlaSoxxJim.  He's pretty up on this sort of stuff.

OK, I'll have a go...

1549, any chance your INSECT (not 'bug' which is a specific order, the Hemiptera) looked anything like this?

asian_longhorned_beetle_image.jpg

Asian Longhorned Beetle (Anoplophora glabripennis)

Your description is pretty good - especially noting the long antennae, bent-shaped legs, dark color (these are usually jet black with lighter spots and joints) and the hard body. The hard body is suggesting you have a kind of beetle (Coleoptera) and not a grasshopper (Orthoptera). The one in the picture is what came to mind from the description and it is (now) in New Jersey.

It's an exotic tree-killing (mostly maples and poplars) nuisance species that showed up in Jersey about 2 years ago - after doing some damage in Chicago and elsewhere. It has also done extensive damage in New York.

They only get to be about 1.5 inches body length, but with the antennae they can get to the 5-inch total length you have suggested.

Let me know if we're in the ballpark here.

OK, I'll have a go...

1549, any chance your INSECT (not 'bug' which is a specific order, the Hemiptera) looked anything like this?

Your description is pretty good - especially noting the long antennae, bent-shaped legs, dark color (these are usually jet black with lighter spots and joints) and the hard body.  The hard body is suggesting you have a kind of beetle (Coleoptera) and not a grasshopper (Orthoptera).  The one in the picture is what came to mind from the description and it is (now) in New Jersey.

It's an exotic tree-killing (mostly maples and poplars) nuisance species that showed up in Jersey about 2 years ago - after doing some damage in Chicago and elsewhere.  It has also done extensive damage in New York.

They only get to be about 1.5 inches body length, but with the antennae they can get to the 5-inch total length you have suggested.

sheesh, that's good..what are ya, a entomologist or something?

sheesh, that's good..what are ya, a entomologist or something?

No, professionally I'm marine, not terrestrial. But I try to be as well-rounded in natural haistory as possible, and I tend to follow things like exotic species invasions to the degree I can.

Still don't know if this is 1549's mystery Insect though, so my penny-ante 'expertise' may or may not amount to anything.

As far as the bees in your ride... that Corsica is just a HONEY of a car I figure. :P

[/nerdy]

OK, I'll have a go...

Your description is pretty good - especially noting the long antennae, bent-shaped legs, dark color (these are usually jet black with lighter spots and joints) and the hard body.  The hard body is suggesting you have a kind of beetle (Coleoptera) and not a grasshopper (Orthoptera).  The one in the picture is what came to mind from the description and it is (now) in New Jersey.

It's an exotic tree-killing (mostly maples and poplars) nuisance species that showed up in Jersey about 2 years ago - after doing some damage in Chicago and elsewhere.  It has also done extensive damage in New York.

Nope not quite like that.

What I have is a lot less exotic.

The antenna are very long, but also very thin.

A cross between a frog and a cricket is the best description I can give.

I have been talking to more friends, and another friend had this problem in their garage for one summer, and then the things never came back.

It seems a person has either never seen one, or only seen them when they have infested a part of the house.

Nope not quite like that.

What I have is a lot less exotic.

The antenna are very long, but also very thin. 

A cross between a frog and a cricket is the best description I can give.

I have been talking to more friends, and another friend had this problem in their garage for one summer, and then the things never came back.

It seems a person has either never seen one, or only seen them when they have infested a part of the house.

Hmmm. I am intrigued, but stumped for the moment. When your pest guy tells you what it is be sure to post back here and educate me.

Based your assessment of a hard body, I'd still think it's a beetle - unless by 'hard' you mean 'crunchy-under-foot', then It could be anything.

The only thing that comes to mind when you say frog + cricket would be some kind of mole cricket.

tawny_mc.jpg

^^ some kind of mole cricket ^^

Some of them have longer antennae than the one shown, and the antennae are thinner than in our Asian beetle. They are a southeastern lawn pest but there are a few species that get uup the seaboard to NJ, NY.

That's it, I can't think of anything else off the top of me head.

I am not sure if this helps FLA, but in terms of body shape and stuff, the things in my garage sort of look like the bugs in Starship Troopers (the black ones that were like the bug infantry soldiers). Picture the starship trooper bugs, with 2 long antennas and the ability to leap far

Hmmm.  I am intrigued, but stumped for the moment.  When your pest guy tells you what it is be sure to post back here and educate me.

Based your assessment of a hard body, I'd still think it's a beetle - unless by 'hard' you mean 'crunchy-under-foot', then It could be anything.

The only thing that comes to mind when you say frog + cricket would be some kind of mole cricket.

tawny_mc.jpg

Some of them have longer antennae than the one shown, and the antennae are thinner than in our Asian beetle.  They are a southeastern lawn pest but there are a few species that get uup the seaboard to NJ, NY.

That's it, I can't think of anything else off the top of me head.

That is goofiest looking cricket i have ever seen :lol:

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I am not sure when the guy is scheduled to come but I will revive this thread when I find out the type of bug.

...I will revive this thread when I find out the type of bug.

Not bug... INSECT! INSECT!! INSECT!!! :D

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes. And yes, keep us updated on the infestation.

As for the Starship Trooper ref... it's very vivid but didn't help me. I read the Heinlein novel way back when, and ALMOST saw the film until every review I read about it said it sucked ass. :D

Not bug... INSECT! INSECT!! INSECT!!!  :D

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes.  And yes, keep us updated on the infestation.

As for the Starship Trooper ref... it's very vivid but didn't help me.  I read the Heinlein novel way back when, and ALMOST saw the film until every review I read about it said it sucked ass.  :D

Meh, I was in junior high and starship troopers had blood, guns, and sex. So I loved it. But looking back it was probably just your average human vs. large bug flick.

tawny_mc.jpg

Looks as if someone chopped off the head of a lobster and sewed it onto the body of a grasshopper. This nuclear mutation is truly an abomination of nature.

;)

While I don't have extensive knowledge of insects, I searched for pictures which fit 1549's description from Starship Troopers.

Praying Mantis:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1930000/imag...5_mantis300.jpg

Unknown Beetle:

http://www.sheepmania.com/nat/insect/coleo...1_26b_large.jpg

Unknown Insect

http://www.sheepmania.com/nat/insect/hemip...a_04_01_26.html