Delgado's list to 2 teams

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, he'd be very nice to have.  But where would we put him, is the problem?  I mean, if we were to include Maggs in a deal to Toronto, then he can DH for us for a month or two.  But what about when Big Hurt gets back?

I really see catcher as the only place (offensively, and defensively) that needs upgrading.  I think Harris can handle the 2B duties, and Rowand/Perez out in center should get the job done.  Crede will eventually get up to .250+ and play very solid D, and we're solid everywhere else (I'm not talking about pitching here.).

I'd love to have Delgado - but when Thomas gets back, where would we put him?

He can DH til Frank comes back (Next season), in the meantime, we dump Konerko, and Delgado is our 1B for 2005+.

He is also trying to get the American government to clean the part of Puerto Rico (where he is from) where the American military used to test bombs on a regular basis.  This same area, coincidently, has the highest cancer rate in Puerto Rico.  I can't  blame him for this.

Nope, He is from the other side of the island. And it's not cause of that, that's he's protesting.

Nope, He is from the other side of the island. And it's not cause of that, that's he's protesting.

Sorry, thought I heard on the radio yesterday that he was from that part of the island.

I know that's not why he is protesting but it's still an issue he is dealing with with the American govenrment.

Sorry, thought I heard on the radio yesterday that he was from that part of the island.

I know that's not why he is protesting but it's still an issue he is dealing with with the American govenrment.

It was protested down here about the Island of Vieques were the navy held pratices for 50 years with live ammo. This island/which is considered to be a part of PR is on the east side of the big island being PR. Delgado is from the west side of the island. Yes there are some fools protesting somethign that has been dealt with and the navy has left that bombing range, but now they have to clean it up from bomb residue and Uraniun and s***. But about the cancer it was bulls***. Studies confermed there was no relation. But still the nave has agreed to clean up the place and give back the land to the government of the Commonwelth in a certain time. Land they took 75 % of for a base and on the other side the bombing range

Delgaod just came off the disabled list.  The only thing I can't see with this deal is that if you make the trade, next year you have Konerko, Thomas and Delgado, meaning its going to be hard to trade someone.

However, if the Sox get Thomas to walk or deal one of the guys, then it makes sense.  And I know me mentioning Thomas walking will piss a lot of guys off.  I do know one thing, Delgado's left handed bat would be a hell of an upgrade to this offense.

Part of me thinks, maybe Maggs is a part of the deal, since he'll be gone and Delgado is signed a little longer (isn't he???), but I think he gets like 16 mill a year or so. 

However, if the Sox could get Delgado and Miguel Batista for Maggs, I'd think long and hard about it.  I don't know though, cause getting Delgado would mean one of the Sox bats is part of the trade, they would have to be, cause it would make sense any other way, cause he wouldn't have a position.

That or the Sox feel they can get Delgado and then use Maggs to get pieces to get the Big Unit. 

On a sidenote, anyone know what the Jays are asking.

Delgado is a FA after this year. I am almost positive on that.

Another thing...if we made this deal, is there any possibility that we could look to upgrade at another position too, due to the fact that we are very deep in corner OF/1B types? Maggs, Everett, Lee, Konerko, Delgado, and then Thomas when he comes back too...you have to consider that if all 6 of those guys are healthy come playoff time, only 5 can play at the very most(and that means that Rowand is on the bench, and if he continues to be a .300 hitter, I don't think anyone wants to see that).

Right now, I'm wondering if Pittsburgh wouldn't accept a trade of Paul Konerko straight up for Jason Kendall. I doubt they would, because I figure we'd have to throw in some prospects...but this would allow Pittsburgh to not have to pay the full 50% of it that most people want them to...maybe only 35-40%(and while that is still quite a bit, being around the $13 mill range, it, quite frankly, is not $17 mill...maybe $4 mill would change their mind). It then opens up room at 1B for Delgado, and you can let Everett remain at DH for the next month or so.

even if we don't do anything with him, its nice to have somebody want to come here.

yup. i was surprised when we were on the big unit's list as well.

i'd guess players around the league take notice with williams aggressiveness.

Well, Maggs isn't going anywhere. Even if we would trade him, teams aren't going to take a guy that is out at least 4 weeks. I don't think we would have to give up a whole lot to get Delgado anyways, Toronto is going to have to eat a ton of that money. He can hit a ton, but he is awfully inconsistent. He seems to alternate between hitting over .300 and hitting around .270, and this is a .270 year on the rotation(actually well under that now). He's really not having a good year(I took him in the second round of a fantasy draft :angry: ). However, a happy, cheaper Delgado can make a HUGE impact. I just don't know what we would do with him once some of our guys get healthy. If we got him, we'd have to either play Everett in RF or bench him right now, and once Thomas and/or Maggs get back we got all kinds of log jams. It might make sense to get him for the rest of the year and just talk Frank into sitting out the rest of the year as a precaution. As someone said, however, I'm not sure he'd accept the trade if we didn't give him an extension.

Well, Maggs isn't going anywhere. Even if we would trade him, teams aren't going to take a guy that is out at least 4 weeks. I don't think we would have to give up a whole lot to get Delgado anyways, Toronto is going to have to eat a ton of that money. He can hit a ton, but he is awfully inconsistent. He seems to alternate between hitting over .300 and hitting around .270, and this is a .270 year on the rotation(actually well under that now). He's really not having a good year(I took him in the second round of a fantasy draft :angry: ). However, a happy, cheaper Delgado can make a HUGE impact. I just don't know what we would do with him once some of our guys get healthy. If we got him, we'd have to either play Everett in RF or bench him right now, and once Thomas and/or Maggs get back we got all kinds of log jams. It might make sense to get him for the rest of the year and just talk Frank into sitting out the rest of the year as a precaution. As someone said, however, I'm not sure he'd accept the trade if we didn't give him an extension.

A positive way to look at his s***ty year is the fact that his price will be a lot lower now.

Also, if we did get him...there would be some insane depth offensively with this club when healthy(which I why I brought up the potential Konerko for Kendall idea...I would say Lee for Kendall, but then I think I would be ripped a new asshole :D )