Cowboys, Eddie George agree to 1-year deal

Sides met Friday at Valley Ranch

IRVING, Texas -- Eddie George agreed to a contract with the Dallas Cowboys on Friday, two days after he was released by Tennessee.

The one-year deal with the Cowboys is for a base salary of $660,000 with a signing bonus of $1.54 million, sources have told ESPN's Ed Werder.

"He's a great fit for us, and he will complement an offense that will be about power running," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said.

George was cut Wednesday, at his request, after he rejected Tennessee's final bid. He left the Titans after eight seasons and more than 10,000 yards.

"I see this team coming up on the rise," George said at a news conference introducing him. "There was a lot of places to look at, but I see that Dallas is committed to the run, and I think I can help with that."

George's only free-agent visit was to Dallas. Negotiations moved so quickly because the relationship works well for both sides.

The Cowboys had plenty of room under the salary cap and, a week before opening training camp, they were still looking for a veteran running back to ease the burden on Julius Jones, a second-round pick from Notre Dame who was expected to be the starter.

Regardless of who starts, both will get plenty of carries. The better George does -- and the Cowboys are certainly hoping his competitive nature and desire to prove he's still an elite runner will draw out his best -- the slower they can bring along Jones.

Although George has never missed a game in his 128-game career, he's been slowed by injuries typical for someone who's averaged 21.4 carries per game. He turns 31 in September.

The pounding has reduced his effectiveness. After averaging 3.9 yards per carry his first five seasons, he's been at 3.2 over the last three seasons. He was at 3.3 last year, when he gained 1,031 yards and topped the 10,000-yard mark for his career.

George's 2003 numbers are similar to what Troy Hambrick produced last season when he underwhelmingly replaced Emmitt Smith. Hambrick has since been released.

The difference is that the Cowboys believe George can still be valuable if used properly, especially as the lead back in short-yardage and goal-line situations. He scored 12 touchdowns two seasons ago. George also has averaged 8.3 yards on two receptions per game for his career.

While Cowboys coach Bill Parcells is very high on Jones, he also values proven veterans such as George. George provides other qualities Parcells values: the willingness to play hurt, good size for his position (6-foot-3, 235 pounds) and good hands (one lost fumble the last two seasons).

By signing someone of George's age and experience, the Cowboys are seemingly reversing field from last offseason, when they cut Smith. Other factors influenced that decision, such as the salary and George knowing he'll be sharing time and mentoring Jones.

George also is returning to the state where his career began. The former Heisman Trophy winner at Ohio State played his rookie season, 1996, in Houston before the franchise moved to Tennessee.

George probably will be able to keep the No. 27 he's worn his entire career as it currently belongs to rookie cornerback Bruce Thornton.

Not a bad move by the Cowboys,  although George is clearly past his prime.  But,  he's a definite upgrade over Troy Hambrick.  I guess they'll ease Julius Jones into the mix.

I take it back. Lookin at last years stats. George and Hambrick's numbers are damn near identical. I didn't realize George was this washed up. I guess the Titans released him for a reason.

Get rid of Emmitt Smith because he's old and slow.  Sign George who's old and slow. Nice one.

Fact - Emmitt Smith was due to make $10 million in 2003.

Fact - Eddie George will be making just over $2 million this season. ;)

Fact - Emmitt Smith was due to make $10 million in 2003.

Fact - Eddie George will be making just over $2 million this season.  ;)

Fact-DBAHO loves this sighning.

As do I, if I we're a Cowboys fan. But this is a good for them as they signed George for very cheap!

Fact-DBAHO loves this sighning.

As do I, if I we're a Cowboys fan.  But this is a good for them as they signed George for very cheap!

I don't love the signing, but it's a good signing. We needed another guy in the mix really bad, no way we can depend on Julius Jones from day 1. If managed properly, which I'm sure Parcells will do, I think George will suprise a lot of people.

Haha I was reading this on CBSSportsline.com....

CBS Sportsline's Pete Prisco reports that Bill Parcells was not in favor of the Eddie George signing.

According to Prisco, George's signing was owner Jerry Jones' idea. He wanted a big name. If true, this report indicates that rookie Julius Jones still has a legitimate chance for a big role this season. If George struggles like he did in Tennessee, Jones is a sleeper.

George was a very good back in his prime, and is still one of the gutsiest players out there. He never misses a game, even though he's had ankle problems and that's probably hurt him in the long run. But if anyone watched that Titans-Ravens playoff game last year they saw what he's got left in the tank, he wanted to win so badly, I'd take him on my team any day.

Fact-George's prime was never very impressive.  If Dallas can afford to give him the ball 35 times a game then he may be effective.

George was one of the top 4 or 5 running backs in the league back in the mid to late nineties, up there with Marshall Faulk, Terrell Davis, Jamal Anderson, etc. How does that not qualify as impressive?

And name me one running back in the entire NFL who averages 35 carries per game, let alone a guy who is past his prime! Hell, name me one running back who averages 30 carries per game. Guys would be dropping like flies with all kinds of injuries if they handled the ball that many times per game. George should get 15 carries per game, at the most.