Kenny Williams on AM 1000

CWSGuy406

I agree with Ritchie Allen 100% on Harris. Sure, he may get to first base, and  every now and then, he'll get to second base on his own. He only has, I'm pretty sure, 10 swipes, not nearly as much as he should, and has absolutely no power and doesn't drive in a whole lot of runs.     

My 2 cents.

Here's my 2 cents. Why in the f*** do you want him to hit for power? We already have Lee, Kong, Everett, Crede, Rowand, Valentin (hell, even Uribe) who have all the pop to hit homers and drive in runs. Guys like Willie, Timo isto get on base. It's that simple. A leadoff hitter's job is to get on base. As I already posted Willie has 5 walks to only 1 strikeout in his last 4 games. The only knock on him is he's not running enough. I'm very happy to see a Rowand/Lee/Kong hit a 2 or a 3 run bomb when he's on base or hit a sac. fly when he's onbase. That's his job. Not to hit homeruns, not to drive in runs, but to get on base, and to score on whoever's driving him in....

Just my 2 cents. ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the big reasons the Sox are a winning team is because the team can usually outscore/outslug the opposition.

Maggs and Frank gone REALLY hurts the offense. After what Maggs' doctor said, I don't think he'll be back this year. He won't be able to walk for a month, and he has a lot of bleeding in his knee. Ugh.

I just hope Kenny goes out and acquires a decent hitter and a high-quality reliever. Then we'll just roll the dice and see if we roll some "7's" for the rest of the season.

To somewhat add to SoxAce's post, we don't need another "bopper," we need someone who is a decent OPS guy who can get on base for the other guys to knock in. 

Oh yeah, I'd prefer a lefty. :)

Finley would be great and should not cost us much at all to get him

Here's my 2 cents. Why in the f*** do you want him to hit for power? We already have Lee, Kong, Everett, Crede, Rowand, Valentin (hell, even Uribe) who have all the pop to hit homers and drive in runs. Guys like Willie, Timo isto get on base. It's that simple. A leadoff  hitter's job is to get on base. As I already posted Willie has 5 walks to only 1 strikeout in his last 4 games. The only knock on him is he's not running enough. I'm very happy to see a Rowand/Lee/Kong hit a 2 or a 3 run bomb when he's on base or hit a sac. fly when he's onbase. That's his job. Not to hit homeruns, not to drive in runs, but to get on base, and to score on whoever's driving him in....

Just my 2 cents. ;)

I'm not saying I WANT him to hit for power, I'm just saying that he doesn't bring that, at all, most leadoof hitters have the ability to go out of the yard, he doesn't. How many RBI's does he have? 14. OPS? .680! And he has only scored 40 runs. Not too special...

Also, only 4 sac bunts on the year. I think the most important thing is that he has only 10 SB's in only 13 attempts, which is, I will use the word BAD, for his type of player. Who can dispute that.

And Finley does have power, which is an added bonus. However, Finley's agent keeps saying that he wants to go to San Diego really bad since they are winning, and he loved the city when he played there.

In response, I would explain to him that Chicago is a better place to be.

We play in "The Cell" - they play in "The Litterbox."

They have the Pacific Ocean - we have Lake Michigan.

They have flounder and kelp salad - we have pizza, beef sammiches, and polish sausages.

Their fans are wishy-washy - our fans are rabid and passionate.

They have tall buildings - we have SKYSCRAPERS.

They have surfers - we have architects and artists.

Plus, our ballpark is MUCH MUCH more conducive to home runs, which would help a player who could beef up his stats AS HE GOES INTO HIS CONTRACT YEAR.

It's pretty much an easy sell, quite frankly. :headbang

How many RBI's does he have?  14.  OPS?  .680!  And he has only scored 40 runs. Not too special...

Willie is not what you would call a star. He is a "solid" player. That's all we want in him. Eric Young has 0 homers for the Rangers, and Texas loves his production cause he gets on base. Now I've noticed that Willie is starting to get hot. Wait till another week or so when he has like a .280 or so average. I've already explained that he needs to steal more..

Do you consider .361 a good OBP? I'm not being fesescious (sp), that is a real question. For me, it depends on what kind of production he gives. A.319 SA with 14 RBI's and 10 steals is not quality production.

I'm not asking Willie to be a star, but he is not really a "solid player" either. He is decent in several aspects of this game, but doesn't excell in any parts.

Aaron Rowand, for example, is a solid player, but not a star.

Also, 4 hits in the last 4 games (a very small sample, anyways) is not "getting hot". Ignore the .400 avg, its only out of 10 ABs. I do like the 5 walks, though.

If willie hits .280 this year i am sure that is much better than anyone thought he would hit.

Hell, some people on the boards would have been happy if he would be hitting .250. He has a chance to finish between .270-.290 this season. :)

Willie's OBP is better than half the players on the team. (He's right around Carlos Lee) He's doing this n the leadoff spot which is good. He's walking more and he's K'ing less. And Aaron is a solid plyer yes. But he gt a chance to play more like he is now, he can be a star. Since May 25 he's hitting .350. That was when Maggs wen down. Aaron Rowand is a stud.

Here's my 2 cents. Why in the f*** do you want him to hit for power? We already have Lee, Kong, Everett, Crede, Rowand, Valentin (hell, even Uribe) who have all the pop to hit homers and drive in runs. Guys like Willie, Timo isto get on base. It's that simple. A leadoff  hitter's job is to get on base. As I already posted Willie has 5 walks to only 1 strikeout in his last 4 games. The only knock on him is he's not running enough. I'm very happy to see a Rowand/Lee/Kong hit a 2 or a 3 run bomb when he's on base or hit a sac. fly when he's onbase. That's his job. Not to hit homeruns, not to drive in runs, but to get on base, and to score on whoever's driving him in....

Just my 2 cents. ;)

I remember a few months back when you were saying that Willie Harris would hit close to 10 HR, and I told you that I'd be surprised if he hit 1 HR. My entire point was that he should be hitting the ball on the ground every single time. I can go retrieve the thread link if you want.....

:lol:

I'm glad to see that you've come around, though.

I will continue to defend Willie. When Willie gets constant playing time, Willie does good. He is also solid at 2nd base and smart on the paths. I wouldn't mind seeing Uribe, Willie and Rowand playing a lot, especially if Borchard struggles early on.

Thats with Uribe at 2nd, Willie in CF, and Rowand in RF.

I remember a few months back when you were saying that Willie Harris would hit close to 10 HR, and I told you that I'd be surprised if he hit 1 HR.  My entire point was that he should be hitting the ball on the ground every single time.    I can go retrieve the thread link if you want.....

:lol:

I'm glad to see that you've come around, though.

I'm a man who can admit m wrongness.. :D But also remember saying 5-10 homers can be inside the park jobs.. :P You are correct so far but there's plenty of baseball left. :)

I don't think the Sox need Roberto Alomar. All he will do is take time away from Willie and Uribe. PASS!!!

He is brought in to light a fire under Uribe, Harris, and even Crede's ass(not directly...if Alomar comes in and shows he can hit, and Uribe is hitting, no one says that Uribe can't play a little 3B).

Call me crazy but has anyone entertained the option that the player easily available from the Dbacks is Brent Mayne? I mean we could use a quality veteran catcher...Just a thought... :unsure:

And I really dont want Alomar back here....I LOVE to watch Uribe field a baseball at 2B...hes so unorthadox yet OHHHH so effective....

Here's my take on a few things:

1] no to Robbie alomar. He isn't an upgrade over Willie or uribe.

2] Bautista? Not sure. Whoever the Sox get should be able to contribute if/when Maggs comes back, either in a position or from the bench. A solid OBP guy should be traded for though to help replace Maggs and Frank.

3] Harris is fine and will come back to hit .290-.300 for the season, with a .370 + OBP. The way he's seeing pitches, hitting LHP [that AB vs. Sabathia where he lined the 1B up the middle shows he can play everyday] and fielding, he deserves to be playing almost everyday. Uribe should be the utility IF giving guys a rest. Willie is tentative on the bases, but will get better.