The Trade I'd Make

Chisoxfn

You must be talking about the pitcher Josh Fields, because Josh Fields, the third baseman cannot be traded right now.  MLB rules specifically do not allow any player to be traded within their first year.

Can't you get around that by saying a player to be names later.

We won't get Beltran signed long term. No matter how much we offer him, he's goin to the Yanks on a 8 year deal for $120 million.

Agreed. Get Catalanotto, get another bullpen arm to replace Jackson and then maybe another starting pitcher.

That is the exact order i would get them too.

What bullpen arm would you like kenny to go after? Sullivan comes to mind because he's a solid pitcher and wouldn't cost that much at all. The bullpen arm we get should cost absolutely nothing because we don't need a stud arm, just another guy to eat up innings and replace Jackson. With Politte, Damaso and Shingo there aren't many teams that have a better backend to their pen.

I agree on the need for a versatile player and bat like Catalanotto. If healthy, he's a guy who can play RF and LF, 2b, 3b and 1B, and a .300 + hitter to boot.

As far as bullpen help, have people forgotten about Kelly Wunsch in AAA? If healthy he's a better option than most names being mentioned. Anyone know his status?

One thing to consider--Neal Cotts has been more effective vs RH batters this year. Adding Wunsch to replace Jackson doesn't sound that strange then. But keeping Jackson for the stretch run [who I have to say, actually has looked decent in his last few outings] isn't something the sox should do

I would like to have Beltran as much as anyone. But creating new holes on the roster to obtain him - addition by subtraction - is NOT the answer. Not now.

It puzzles me that so many are willing to package Rowand/Crede in a deal to get Beltran. Don't you just end up with new or different holes? Slightly upgraded with better power numbers, but the hole becomes an abyss once Beltran signs with the Yankees in the offseason.

Does anyone like the idea of the Kelly Dransfeld/Juan Uribe era at third beginning in the middle of a pennant run? Or the Timo Perez/Ross Gload/Joe Borchard experiment in right?

IMO, Beltran can be had with prospects. There are alot of scenarios on this board where we deal Rowand, Crede, Borchard in some combination for Beltran. To me that is overpaying. The Astros dealt Dotel and a catching prospect. There is no reason the Sox should use the same equation as the Astros. The Astros took a risk that Beltran would get them back in the race, it failed. They will not get the same value in return, because it's near the deadline, and the Astros are not going to sign him either.

The Sox are not obligated to make them whole to get Beltran. That might clinch the deal for Beltran, but then the Sox end up paying the price for the Astros risk-taking. That is not very good negotiating or decision making.

But if that is what it takes, I'll pass. I'd rather have someone like Catalanatto for less.

Beltran is a stud, and I would love to have him.

But all signs point to him testing the Free Agent Waters this off-season no matter what. When I was in Houston for the All-Star game, alot of talk centered on re-signing Lance Berkman who is also in the last year of his current deal. Berkman wants to get a deal done now, but they aren't close on the terms. The Media went on to say talks won't even start with Beltran because he is gonna test the market. The Asros were rumored to possibly offer a 5 year 15 mil a year contract, but Boras told them to wait until the off-season and they can offer that then. I am convinced someone will give Beltran big money. Heck, I hope the Sox give him big money, but I would not trade the caliber of players its gonna take to get Beltran, without the assurance of keeping him here.

p.s. I am still convinced Joe Crede will be an All-Star, and a player us Sox fans will be cheering on for years to come.

If the Sox could negotiate a window to sign him long term or felt confident they could do that (Thats right, meaning Magglio is gone at the end of the year), then I would use Crede, Borchard and two more prospects (Not named Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney).

Reportedly the Astros want a 3rd baseman (even though they have Ensberg) and Crede could fit that.  I'd also hold off on giving up Neal Cotts, I think he's going to be valuable down the stretch and has a bright future as a starter. 

They gave up some good things to get Beltran, but who knows if he's on the block.  However, offer him 14 mill a year for 5 years and see if he bites.  HE is a better all around player then Magglio and plays a tougher position, so I say go for it.  Plus he's really looking like he'll develop 50 HR power to go with very good speed.

If Maggs makes it back this year, fine, you end up having him, Beltran, Thomas and company in the postseason which is sick.  IF he doesn't, you still have a start studded centerfielder and what will be a pretty good OF with Beltran and Rowand in CF and RF, helping out Lee who is solid, but lacking range.

I'd say Crede, Borchard, Munoz, and another player for Beltran if the Sox would realistically go after signing him the next year.  Then you get 2 picks for Maggs, which will somehow help to bring in talent and have Anderson and Rowand capable of playing RF, plus Everett under contract next year, in case, Thomas walks or he can play RF at times. 

This would be my plan. 

Harris - 2nd

Uribe - 3B

Beltran - CF

Lee - LF

Everett - DH

Konerko - 1st

Jose - ss

Rowand - rf

Burke/Davis/Alomar - C

If Thomas and Maggs make it back, even better, now you have Rowand and Everett off the bench.

With S.Boras signing is ONLY a pipe dream

When you have Scott Boras and the Yankees just waiting for the offseason.. you wait and take the best offer in free-agency.

Reinsdorf won't spend the money to match what Steinbrenner will offer Beltran.

Booras is the new Yankee agent for Player Development. Beltran goes to the Yankees mark my words, and others I might add. If we trade for Beltran and give up the likes of Crede and Borchard then all we are doing is weakening ourselves big time. You can kiss next year and at least a couple more off before we have talent in place to take over for Joe and other top prospects we will lose. I don't see the big bat being our need anyway. Another starter to take over from Schoenweis, who is rapidly becoming more of a disappointment as the 5th starter and/or a solid middle reliever is what I see this team needing.

I agree on the need for a versatile player and bat like Catalanotto. If healthy, he's a guy who can play RF and LF, 2b, 3b and 1B, and a .300 + hitter to boot.

As far as bullpen help, have people forgotten about Kelly Wunsch in AAA? If healthy he's a better option than most names being mentioned. Anyone know his status?

One thing to consider--Neal Cotts has been more effective vs RH batters this year. Adding Wunsch to replace Jackson doesn't sound that strange then. But keeping Jackson for the stretch run [who I have to say, actually has looked decent in his last few outings] isn't something the sox should do

He just came off the disabled list in Charlottel yesterday.

Ya, you all are probably right in regards to Maggs and offering arbitration, since it would be too risky. However, sometimes a player gets signed up before that arbitration window is done, if I recall, and then the Sox wouldn't even have to worry about something along those lines.

Also, I'm not going to say its likely that they could lock up Beltran, but if I were KW and I thought I could, I'd try to get him, set up a negotiation window. If he called and basically got the; He won't sign now, no matter what, I'd say screw it, go after a reliever and a catcher and maybe add a starter. However, I don't think the Sox have the prospects ot make too many more trades without clobbering their upper levels and when you give up lower level guys, you typically have to give up a bit more.