Texsox

Is the husband guilty?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is the husband guilty?

• Yes
    • No
    • Uncertain
    • Let a jury decide, if it gets that far

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- Churches canceled meetings and services to allow hundreds of congregants to flood neighborhoods and go door-to-door in search of a missing pregnant woman whose disappearance has baffled friends and neighbors.

More than 3,000 people turned out Sunday to distribute fliers and join the search for Lori Hacking. The turnout was the largest since she vanished last Monday.

Later Sunday, about 200 people attended a candlelight vigil at a park where the woman's car was found and where it had been presumed that she disappeared while jogging.

The family has been holding as many as two news conferences a day since the 27-year-old was reported missing. But they have been more reluctant to face reporters since questions arose about the credibility of Hacking's husband, Mark.

Buying a mattress is very damning evidence if you ask me.

Being that I would never be on the jury (don't live anywhere near there lol), I am willing to form a preliminary opinion on this. They also found a clump of hair near the mattress store in the garbage.

I think he did it because he flipped out (mentally not because of anger) when she found out he didn't graduate college and wasn't signed up for med school. I also think the dancing around naked thing outside the motel was done to set up an insanity plea. Yes, I watch too many detective shows lol :P .

Buying a mattress is very damning evidence if you ask me.

I disagree. Look at it this way: They go to the mattress store over the weekend, and find one they like, but don't have a way to take it home. He says, "Since I don't have a job and I'm home all day, I'll come back Monday in my truck and pick it up while you're at work, honey."

Is that crazy. That's just my answer for the matress. I haven't thought about all the other screwy things.

Guess I need to see the whole story. Why is buying a mattress bad???

Also, why is a pregnant woman going jogging? I do believe that type fo workout really isn't a good thing to do while pregnant. I know walking is O.K., btu jogging seems a little too much of a strain. Maybe I am wacky...

Also, why is a pregnant woman going jogging? I do believe that type fo workout really isn't a good thing to do while pregnant. I know walking is O.K., btu jogging seems a little too much of a strain. Maybe I am wacky...

You can jog until it is uncomfortable, or if there is a problem. My sister ran on the treadmill until her 7th month.

Meerly speculating here, he could have stabbed her to death in bed, and then ditched the bloody matress.

You can jog until it is uncomfortable, or if there is a problem. My sister ran on the treadmill until her 7th month.

Thanks Steff. If my wife wasn't out of town, I would have just asked her. We do have two kids, and she is a nurse in the OB/Labor and Delivery of a hospital, so I would think she might know. But I just chose to play the role of "dimwit" instead. rolleyeyes.gif

My college cross country team had a woman compete into her 7th month. She slowed, but not by too much. Her Doctors told her that as long as this ws something she did before getting pregnant, she could continue.

The mattress: He phoned a few friends, said his wife is missing. Then stops by a mattress store and picks up a new mattress, then calls police. Seems strange to me. Especially with her hair found in a nearby dumpster.

Husband of Missing Utah Woman Is Arrested

Husband of Missing Utah Woman Is Arrested

28 minutes ago Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By MARK THIESSEN, Associated Press Writer

SALT LAKE CITY - Police arrested the husband of a missing pregnant woman Monday on a charge of aggravated murder, saying they had enough evidence even though her body has not been found.

Lori Hacking disappeared July 19, when Mark Hacking told authorities she failed to return from an early morning jog. Since then, the husband's timeline and credibility have slowly unraveled.

"We're confident we have a good case here," Police Chief Rick Dinse said Monday.

Dinse said investigators have "the instrument of death" but would not say what that was. He said investigators believe Lori Hacking was killed in her apartment.

"We believe that Mark Hacking is responsible for her disappearance and her death," Dinse said.

Formal charges have not been filed against Hacking, 28. By law, prosecutors have 72 hours to file formal charges or release him.

D. Gilbert Athay, an attorney hired by Hacking's family, refused comment. Messages left by The Associated Press for Lori's father and Hacking's family members were not immediately returned.

The investigation took a grim turn over the weekend when Lori Hacking's relatives asked volunteers to stop looking for her in response to new information from her husband, and investigators said they would focus their search on the county landfill.

A statement from the family did not reveal what Mark Hacking told them, and Detective Dwayne Baird said only that it was "additional substantive information."

Detectives believe 27-year-old Lori Hacking's body is in the landfill, where exhaustive searches using cadaver dogs have come up empty. Investigators plan to resume their search this week.

Mark Hacking's credibility has crumbled since he reported his wife missing amid revelations that he lied to his wife about enrolling at medical school in North Carolina and about graduating from the University of Utah.

"We believed very early in the investigation that she may have been a victim of a crime and her husband may have been responsible," Dinse said.

Lori's car was found at a park where her husband said she went for a jog, and Dinse said police recovered evidence from it. He wouldn't elaborate.

Other evidence that led to Hacking's arrest include items taken from the apartment and a nearby trash bin. Police have not said what those items were.

Hacking was taken to a psychiatric ward on July 20, after he was seen running around at night naked in sandals outside a motel where he'd taken a room.

He was arrested Monday before his scheduled release.

Investigators focused on Hacking after learning he was at a store buying a new mattress just before reporting his wife missing. Investigators have refused to confirm reports that they found a mattress in a nearby trash bin.

As Lori Hacking's relatives pleaded for information in the case, volunteers searched through neighborhoods, industrial areas and canyons around the park where she was said to have been jogging the morning she was reported missing.