Why the hell is Valentin batting 2nd?

witesoxfan

I'm probably Jose's biggest backer on the site, but it is dumb as hell to have him bat 2nd. I know that we just acquired Everett, and that he is hitting cleanup, but Jose Valentin and his OBP of .312 should not be in the #2 spot in the order...the #2 hitter should be a guy with a little pop in his bat but, at the very least, be someone that makes a lot of contact and gets on base.

Why is Rowand hitting 7th? While he has only drawn 13 walks in 77 games, his average is higher then Jose OBP. He seems to be the best guy we can put in the #2 spot in the order right now, does he not? A little pop, a little speed, but most importantly, he gets on base and makes contact. Added to that is that he is a pretty damn good bunter as well...I just don't see why he is hitting 7th in the order and not 2nd.

To me, the best lineup we can put out there right now is

Harris - 2B

Rowand - CF

Lee - LF

Everett - DH

Konerko - 1B

Valentin - SS

Timo - RF

Crede - 3B

Burke-Davis-Alomar - C

It is very balanced in the middle of the order(it is r-s-r-l from 3-6), has a decent leadoff man, a good #2 hitter, and it gets Jose Valentin the hell out of the #2 spot in the order.

He may have been awesome in the #2 spot in 2000, and when he was there in 01 and 02, we may have been successful, but we cannot be successful when he is hitting there now, especially considering the way he appears to be hitting(was hitting .244 going into the game and that has since gone down to .241 with another ohfer).

I was just sitting at the game tonight thinking about what could have been without all the injuries. Our lineup could look like this:

Harris/Uribe

Valentin

Ordonez

Thomas

Everett

Konerko

Lee

Crede

Davis/Alomar/Burke

:crying

I know Jose is batting 2nd here, but who else would we put there? Lee or Carl?

I was just sitting at the game tonight thinking about what could have been without all the injuries. Our lineup could look like this:

Harris/Uribe

Valentin

Ordonez

Thomas

Everett

Konerko

Lee

Crede

Davis/Alomar/Burke

:crying

I know Jose is batting 2nd here, but who else would we put there? Lee or Carl?

No rowand, he may been be a re most consistent hitter at this point.

I know most of you know that Aaron is one of my favorite players (with Willie Harris being the other one) but my biased aside I think I proved my point that I made last night.

I said after we lost to the Tigers that if we didn't put Aaron at the top of the order then I didn't like our chances and we were setting ourself up for failure.

Jose may be clutch with an occasional HR but he can do the same damn thing in the 7th spot.

We need someone who will get on base and thats AROW.

Sometimes I think Ozzie carries some kind of grudge against him. :headshake

Valentin is an automatic out against lefties, that is killer in the late innings. I'd much rather have Rowand up in the 2 hole, and the lefties favorite hitter in the seven hole late in the game.

There have already been several occasions where Jose comes up in the 2 slot late in the game with a big situation and they just bring in the lefty and K him.

speaking of contact hitters and such, in the first inning we had lee up with willie on third and one out, two strikes on lee. It appeared that lee took one of his big hacks instead of swinging for the team and gettign the job done. lee went on to strike out and we didnt end up scoring. we HAVE got to produce in those situations if we're gonna make it to october

the only thing i can see in the way of trading for jason kendall is $$$. with the increase in attendance we should be able to afford him. kendall can be a very good catcher for the next two to three years, which i believe is how many years he is signed through.

this lineup needs someone that can consistently get on base at the top of the order.

valentin isn't that person, uribe/harris are both unproven.

kendall

harris R/ Rowand L

Lee

Konerko

Everett

Valentin

Rowand R/Uribe L

crede

borch

the only thing i can see in the way of trading for jason kendall is $$$. with the increase in attendance we should be able to afford him. kendall can be a very good catcher for the next two to three years, which i believe is how many years he is signed through.

this lineup needs someone that can consistently get on base at the top of the order.

valentin isn't that person, uribe/harris are both unproven.

kendall

harris R/ Rowand L

Lee

Konerko

Everett

Valentin

Rowand R/Uribe L

crede

borch

Why does everyone think Kendall would lead off for the team? It makes no sense with Harris and Uribe.

speaking of contact hitters and such, in the first inning we had lee up with willie on third and one out, two strikes on lee.  It appeared that lee took one of his big hacks instead of swinging for the team and gettign the job done. lee went on to strike out and we didnt end up scoring.  we HAVE got to produce in those situations if we're gonna make it to october

Actually it was almost the exact opposite. He was trying to move the ball to the right side and was late on the pitch.