Boers and Bernstein

I think that if a Sox player took out the Twins' catcher in that manner, the Sox fans would admit that it was unnecessary and a cheap shot.  I also think they would be admitting it with a snicker and a chuckle.

That's exactly right.

Ozzie Guillen said the exact same thing...basically saying that he wasnt sure if it was a cheap shot, but he would be high-fiving him for doing it.

ESPN News has only shown it about 25 times.

I am not able to sit home all day and watch ESPN News. I am also not allowed the convenience of a TV at work. I thought he was talking about where he could find the reply on the internet. My assumption, and if I am wrong then I am sorry.

Usually ESPN.com or MLB.com will have the highlights of a play such as this. Neither have it and that is why I said I don't think they want anyone to see it again.

I am not able to sit home all day and watch ESPN News. I am also not allowed the convenience of a TV at work. I thought he was talking about where he could find the reply on the internet. My assumption, and if I am wrong then I am sorry.

yea i was lookin for one on the internet. Maybe if ESPN News is showin it a bunch it will be on their web site

Usually ESPN.com or MLB.com will have the highlights of a play such as this. Neither have it and that is why I said I don't think they want anyone to see it again.

I've only seen pictures. No feed from ESPN or MLB. But I bet it'll be on again tonight during the pre-game

Hey, sorry. I meant no harm.

Perfectly said.  Couldn't have described it better myself... :cheers

An even better description would point out that it was so far out of Torii's way that after barrelling over Burke he had to get back up and tag home plate because he didn't get it earlier, seeing as how Burke was nowhere in the vicinity.

An even better description would point out that it was so far out of Torii's way that after barrelling over Burke he had to get back up and tag home plate because he didn't get it earlier, seeing as how Burke was nowhere in the vicinity.

Actually, he did swipe it with his foot on the way by the first time. Just went back to make sure.

Actually, he did swipe it with his foot on the way by the first time. Just went back to make sure.

That's good to point out, but it just shows that he knows he was not close to the plate.

I used to respect Hunter as a ballplayer, hated him because he was on the Twins, but now I simply hate him.

That's good to point out, but it just shows that he knows he was not close to the plate.

I used to respect Hunter as a ballplayer, hated him because he was on the Twins, but now I simply hate him.

He swiped the plate with his foot. He was obviously close to it.

Regardless of whether the Sox players think Hunter's play was dirty or not, [or us fans, Ozzie, the media ,etc] they need to step up their intensity of play. This isn't croquet. Sox players need to show the fire and intensity that wins games, that they showed in Cle. and the first two games with Det.

The sox looked somewhat tentative. If Hunter's play helps get them going, which it should, then I see this as a positive. If the Sox don't get fired up over a play like this [a beat down at home in front of a packed house with 1st place on the line], then they don't have heart.

Regardless of whether the Sox players think Hunter's play was dirty or not, [or us fans, Ozzie, the media ,etc] they need to step up their intensity of play. This isn't croquet. Sox players need to show the fire and intensity that wins games, that they showed in Cle. and the first two games with Det.

The sox looked somewhat tentative. If Hunter's play helps get them going, which it should, then I see this as a positive. If the Sox don't get fired up over a play like this [a beat down at home in front of a packed house with 1st place on the line], then they don't have heart.

ding ding ding.........

100% agree. Tonight, we will see what this team is made of, I sure hope.

Certainly yes, but if he feels the need to go back and touch means that he knows Burke was not over the plate. You understand what I'm saying, do you not?

No, I don't. I don't recall a close play where the player didn't go back after running into the catcher. It's baseball 101. You make sure you touch the bag/plate whenever the ball is dropped so you can't be tagged out if the ball is picked up.

ding ding ding.........

100% agree.  Tonight, we will see what this team is made of, I sure hope.

At this point in the season, if Ozzie has to light a fire up players' asses, the sox don't deserve first place. They need to learn to fire themselves up, without losing concentration and composure. I too hope they've learned.

I agree.....i'm not seeing much of a difference in intensity between the manuel and ozzie era.  Maybe jerry wasn't as much of the problem as we all thought?

I wonder if it has anything to do with our supposed veteran leader in the bullpen, Mike Jackson, who drives other team's players back to their team hotel after the game?

Maybe friendships come before professionalism according to Jackson?

Maybe friendships prevent you from sticking up for your teammates?

Hmmmm ...

I wonder if it has anything to do with our supposed veteran leader in the bullpen, Mike Jackson, who drives other team's players back to their team hotel after the game?

Maybe friendships come before professionalism according to Jackson?

Maybe friendships prevent you from sticking up for your teammates?

Hmmmm ...

Sticking up for a teammate is important. I saw Rowand and Lee try to take out Guzman at 2nd base. But playing with intensity on an everyday basis, and producing in big games [like vs the Twins] is more important in my book. And more important in to playing winning baseball.

As far as Jackson is concerned, he's a vet who knows how to play the game right. [though he can't play very well]. I don't question his 'being a good teammate'. I just question his talent level

No, I don't. I don't recall a close play where the player didn't go back after running into the catcher. It's baseball 101. You make sure you touch the bag/plate whenever the ball is dropped so you can't be tagged out if the ball is picked up.

.... Or you could just run straight to the plate.