Jackson here to stay

Mr. Showtime

Awful :puke

Southtown:

Not helping the cause

According to a source in the Sox organization, if veteran reliever Mike Jackson weren't such a valuable leader in the bullpen, he would have been released in the wake of his recent struggles.

After posting an impressive 1.93 ERA in April, Jackson had a 5.59 ERA in May and a 9.31 ERA in June. For the season, Jackson has a 5.18 ERA, and a 2-0 record. But he is valued for motivating his teammates and keeping them grounded.

Guillen, however, said Jackson needs to improve his performance on the mound.

"I'm concerned about Mike Jackson," Guillen said. "Two weeks ago, I was talking about (reliever Cliff) Politte, and he stepped up and did a tremendous job for us. If we are going to continue to do this, Mike Jackson has to step up and (Neal Cotts) has to step up."

lead·er

n.

One that leads or guides.

One who is in charge or in command of others.

One who heads a political party or organization.

One who has influence or power, especially of a political nature.

Music.

A conductor, especially of orchestra, band, or choral group.

The principal performer in an orchestral section or a group.

I'd like this source to tell me what part of that definition matches Mike Jackson

If he's there for leadership, make him a coach and get a reliever that can get somebody out! :banghead

I agree give a position as a coach instead of sucking every time he is out there. We need 2 more bullpen guys either 1 from the minors and 1 from a trade. It is still a long season and we need additional pitchers so everyone does not get too tired.

I just heard Mike Jackson refute a report he drove Torii Hunter back to the Twins team hotel last night.

He said he didn't, he drove Jacque Jones back to the hotel instead.

I'm trying very hard not to get bent out of shape about this, because I realize baseball players are all one big fraternity and there are friendships that exist despite being on competing teams.

That being said ... Jacque Jones can't afford a cab?

Mike Jackson can't put a personal friendship aside for three days in the midst of a heated pennant race?

He's entitled to do what he wants, and I'm entitled to say I don't thing Mike Jackson has even one tiny clue regarding the mindset and passion of Chicago White Sox fans ... those fans who are helping pay his salary.

I hope this isn't one of his leadership lessons ... "develop personal friendships with the other team so you're not willing to knock anybody on their ass and you can be their personal taxi service."

I realize I may be overreacting here, but this just pisses me off all the more.

IMO if you are a team leader you would nail your best friend with a pitch for retaliation if he did what Hunter did.

Not just yes, but HELL YES.

I don't see this as Jackson or Cotts will be around regardless of how they play. I see this as Ozzie giving these guys a chance to turn it around or they'll be gone.

As far as Jackson being a personal taxi driver, who cares what happens OFF the field. I'm more concerned with what happens ON the field. The Sox hitters didn't get the job done, neither did Buerhle. Blames lays with them, not with Jackson. Pros turn the game off once the lights go out. If a player is screwing around before or during the game, that's a more serious offense in my book.