Sox Needs

I think they need another starter. Not a stud but a good pitcher like a trachsel or someone similar. This could solve the bull pen problem as well if Schoe would move down there. I still believe they need another good contact hitter *cough *Frank Catalanotto* Cough*. I also think they should try to pick up one more person in the bull pen

I think they need to do something with Maggs and Frank out, but I don't see a whole lot that would make sense. A lot of the options would cost a ton. I really don't want to see us trade anyone on the ML roster(unless it's someone minor like Jackson or Davis), which would hurt our bargaining ability. I'd love to see us get RJ or Pavano/Penny if the Marlins slipped, but I don't think we have the ammo. I do not want Benson, too many Todd Ritchie similarities. There aren't a whole lot of other SP options, maybe Bautista but Toronto hasn't decided to trade him yet. Beltran would be nice, but again, not enough ammo and he is definitely gone at the end of the year. The only moves I could see happening that I would like are for Kendall, some bullpen help, or a decent on base guy in the outfield that we won't worry about benching when/if Maggs comes back like Cattlanato.

Does Kendall have a contract that goes past the end of this year? If not, would the Sox have a good chance to sign him for next season?

He is due for $34 mill from 05-07...$10 mill in 05, $11 mill in 06, and $13 mill in 07.

We won't get him unless Pittsburgh takes on a considerable chunk of it.

Personally, I think we need another pitcher, be it a starter or a reliever, and another bat. In the regular season, offense is just as, if not more important, then strong pitching...we found that out in 2000(the easy way), and LA found that out last year(the hard way). This offense right now is not what most people thought it would be going into the year...it is much weaker.

We need someone who need either a guy who can come in and be a high OBP guy for us(ala Catalanotto) or someone who can hit the ball out of the ballpark. Either one works.

I definitely think Cattalanato would be ideal, but I'm not so sure Toronto would be willing to give him up. I can't think of any other guys fitting his profile(other than Kendall but he is a lot more expensive). Anyone got any ideas?

I do think we could use another starter, but I don't just want to go out and get another starter for the sake of getting another starter. We need to get someone who would at least be our #3, and there aren't a whole lot of guys out there. Unless we get a stud, I don't really see the point. I think we can get by with these guys. Once we hit the playoffs(yes, I'm still optomistic) we'll see Shoeneweis in the pen, and either Garland or Loaiza will only get a couple of starts. Unless we get someone who will consistently outperform those guys, I don't see the point in giving up talent. Benson is supposedly the best guy that is definitely available, but I don't see him doing that, which is why I brought up the other guys that we may or may not be able to get.

No it just sounds like he doesn't wanna do anything major, maybe a Cory Lidle type player.

JMO.

Just remember that KW's pretty silent when it comes to trades, so we will never know what's going on. He can go all out and get Randy Johnson, or he could get nobody else. All we can do is sit back and hang on for the ride.

I'm somehow wondering if Hawk's said "mind boggling trade" will happen a year late.

What does everyone think we need. I personally think we need another pitcher more than a bat.We all know pitching wins titles. (Remember 2000 when we got swept with our great lineup)cuz garland,loaiza and schony arent doing it for me....

Do we really need another thread about same question? ;)

I think the Sox are in dire need of a starter who can throw some serious heat. They have way too many soft tossers/control pitchers in the starting rotation. They need someone who can intimidate hitter with a high heater and have decent control would be a bonus.

My Complete List in order from most important to least important IMO

1. Starting Pitcher

2. Another good contact hitter with decent speed

3. Bullpen help

4. Power Hitter

5.More Pitching

And you're gonna pay for that :huh

With the Mets falling out of contention very quickly, I'm almost wondering if KW doesn't try and get one of their starters, be it Glavine, Trachsel, or Leiter.

These next 4 days will be huge. In those 4 days, Houston could drop 2 or 3, and they may end up shopping Beltran and Kent, the Mets could start to shop their big 3 and a few relievers, and if the Angels lose 3 or so, they could start selling(not that they have anything worth trading for, just that they could drop out and be another team who is not going for it). Don't say that nothing major will happen...it very well could. If the stars align, I have no doubt we could end up seeing a decent starting pitcher, a solid reliever, Beltran, and Catalanotto on the team...but I would only bet that 2 of the 4 comes, most likely Catalanotto and a pitcher.

The thing KW said not too long ago is he is looking at pitching. I like that idea. As the saying goes "Good pitching usually beats good hitting". I would like KW to get another starter and some bullpen help. Being able to get those is a whole different story of course.

Oh god would that make me happy.

I think it would make everybody happy.

Catalanotto is a friggin stud, but I really do not see why Toronto would make him untouchable, or have a high price for him...he is definately a good sabermetric type player(career OBP of .360 along with a career OPS of .824), so that would be one reason, and he is cheap, but IIRC, he is a FA after this year, so I don't see why they would make it a goal to keep him.

Regardless, I do see KW atleast getting us another arm, be it for the pen or the rotation...maybe he'll get 2, one starter, one reliever.