Burke

OSUBUCKS2

Only if Buerhle was still on the bump when this happened....

Sox don't retaliate for collision but Buehrle still angry

By Bob Foltman

Tribune staff reporter

If there was any bad blood after Torii Hunter ran over White Sox catcher Jamie Burke Monday night, it wasn't evident during batting practice before Tuesday's second game of the three-game Sox-Twins series.

Players from both teams milled around talking to each other. Hunter chatted with Sox outfielders Carl Everett and Aaron Rowand. Sox manager Ozzie Guillen talked to Twins catcher Henry Blanco as the no-fraternization rule was ignored.

Guillen reiterated Tuesday that he had no problem with Hunter plowing over Burke, even though it appeared Hunter could have slid around the catcher and still scored.

"If I thought it was dirty or bad baseball, I would be the first one to do something about it," Guillen said. "That's the way I grew up watching players play the game."

Guillen said not to expect the Sox to retaliate against Hunter because he didn't believe retaliation was warranted.

"If I see anyone who deserves to be hit, I'll be the first one to drill him," he said.

Hunter was showered with boos in every at-bat.

Twins third baseman Corey Koskie was hit three times Tuesday, twice by Freddy Garcia. The final time, in the eighth by Damaso Marte, brought warnings to both benches.

Mark Buehrle, Monday's starter and Burke's roommate, seemed to have a hard time accepting Monday's play as being "just part of the game."

"I think a lot of guys here are saying it's a clean play," Buehrle said Tuesday. "Every time I saw it on TV [Monday] it made me madder and madder."

Buehrle was asked whether he would have hit Hunter if he were pitching Tuesday.

"There's no telling," Buehrle said. "If I face him the next time, we'll see what happens."

What Guillen wanted to see, and didn't, was one of his players go hard into a base.

"We had two opportunities to do it and we didn't," Guillen said, referring to double-play balls with Rowand on first in the eighth and Carlos Lee in the ninth. "I thought we were going to get someone at second base when we had the opportunity."

Guillen said he made that point after the game.

"You want to play big-league baseball, that's the way to play it," he said. "I don't want them to be a bunch of ladies playing this game trying to make money."

If nothing else, Guillen hopes the incident sent a message to his players about how hard they're going to have to play to make the postseason.

"The things they did last night, make all the plays, have all the big hits, that's a message," Guillen said. "I hope they get it. I got it."

Props to MB. Hopefully he starts again against Minnesota this year.

If the rotation doesnt change at all and my counting was correct he will pitch on September 22 againts them at home. BTW i noticed while doing this the Philly Game was scheduled on August 30th at 1:05.