Twelve year old speaker wows convention delegates

Steff

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/...ics/9257543.htm

BETH FOUHY

Associated Press

BOSTON - Twelve-year-old Ilana Wexler had some advice for Vice President Dick Cheney: You need a timeout. The Democrats loved it.

Wexler, who founded a grassroots group called kidsforkerry.org, was rewarded last week with a phone call from Teresa Heinz Kerry inviting her to address the convention in prime time.

With her high pitched voice and breathy enthusiasm, the seventh grader from Oakland, Calif., wowed the crowd Tuesday night. And when she chided Cheney for using a four-word expletive in an exchange with Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy, she brought delegates roaring to their feet.

"When our vice president had a disagreement with a Democratic senator, he used a really bad word," Wexler said. "If I said that word, I would be put in a timeout. I think he should be put in a timeout," Wexler said to loud cheers.

Wexler described how she skipped camp this year to work for the Kerry campaign full time, and how she liked Kerry's commitment to education, America and kids.

"The last time I saw John Kerry, he grabbed my arm and said, see you at the convention. And here I am," Wexler said, pumping her fists. "What will be even more amazing will be the inauguration in January when we have a new president, knowing that kids have made the difference in this election."

After the speech, Wexler's parents, Jonathan and Heidi Wexler, mopped tears from their eyes as they fielded congratulations from dozens of delegates.

"She was a little bit nervous before, when she saw how big this place was," Jonathan Wexler said of his daughter. "But she was just great. We are so proud."

Wexler's star power has already been tapped by David Letterman, who will feature an interview with her Wednesday on his show. Jay Leno has called, too.

Jonathan Wexler said his daughter decided to get involved in politics after listening to Bruce Springsteen's Sept. 11 tribute album, The Rising, and traveling with her family through Central America and Europe for five months last year, where she saw how the Iraq war had affected the world. After researching all the candidates, she settled on Kerry.

In February, Wexler began doing voluntary phone banking for the Kerry campaign, and launched kidsforkerry.org shortly thereafter.

Ilana has even done her part to grease the Kerry money machine, turning her own birthday party last March into a Kerry fund raiser.

ON THE NET

www.kidsforkerry.org

Yahoo Link (Gone in an hour)

Twelve-Year-Old Wows Convention Delegates

By BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - Twelve-year-old Ilana Wexler had some advice for Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites): You need a timeout. The Democrats loved it.

With her high-pitched delivery and breathy enthusiasm, the seventh-grader from Oakland, Calif., wowed the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday night. And when she chided Cheney for using a four-letter expletive in an exchange with Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy (news, bio, voting record), she brought delegates roaring to their feet.

"When our vice president had a disagreement with a Democratic senator, he used a really bad word," Ilana said. "If I said that word, I would be put in a timeout. I think he should be put in a timeout."

Ilana, who founded a grassroots group called kidsforkerry.org, was rewarded last week with a phone call from Teresa Heinz Kerry inviting her to address the delegates.

Ilana recounted how she skipped camp this year to work for the Kerry campaign full time, and how she liked Kerry's commitment to education, America and kids.

"The last time I saw John Kerry (news - web sites), he grabbed my arm and said, 'See you at the convention.' And here I am," Ilana said, pumping her fists. "What will be even more amazing will be the inauguration in January when we have a new president, knowing that kids have made the difference in this election."

After the speech, Ilana's parents, Jonathan and Heidi Wexler, accepted congratulations from dozens of delegates as they dabbed tears from their eyes.

"She was a little bit nervous before, when she saw how big this place was," Jonathan Wexler said. "But she was just great. We are so proud."

Ilana's star power has already been tapped by David Letterman, who will feature an interview with her Wednesday on his show. Jay Leno has called, too.

:usa this girl is very intelligent :usa :usa

she is for Kerry and she is doing Letterman -- if she had worn a Sox cap, she'd be perfect :headbang :usa

(and thanks Kap, I saw you posted that for me before FSJ took away my special thread from you :crying )

FSJ: :lol: :cheers

:usa  this girl is very intelligent :usa  :usa

she is for Kerry and she is doing Letterman -- if she had worn a Sox cap, she'd be perfect :headbang  :usa

(and thanks Kap, I saw you posted that for me before FSJ took away my special thread from you :crying )

FSJ:  :lol:  :cheers

But she was inspired by Springsteen, and that just shoots all of her good qualities to hell. :D ;)

I didn't know quite how the merg-a-ma-thingy was gonna work, whether I had to merge the older to the newer or what...

Now that I know how it works I might just merge the s*** outa this forum just for kicks. :D

I didn't know quite how the merg-a-ma-thingy was gonna work, whether I had to merge the older to the newer or what...

Now that I know how it works I might just merge the s*** outa this forum just for kicks.  :D

merging is fun... and not done often enough