Possible Grinders for next year

southsideirish71

Who can we get to shore up the first part of the lineup.

I dont want to sound like Jeckle but Rowand should be the number 2 hitter next year full time.

Valdez the guy we got for Billy Chaos is hitting .342 in Charlotte. I know its a hitters park, but he doesnt exactly rip power numbers. He might be a better option when Harris doenst pay off. But we need to start to get some guys who have high on base and good averages to hit in front of the big boppers.

I think with a leadoff hitter and rowand hitting second that is a good start.

Anyone have any ideas on possible grinders we can get for next year.

Who can we get to shore up the first part of the lineup. 

I dont want to sound like Jeckle but Rowand should be the number 2 hitter next year full time. 

Valdez the guy we got for Billy Chaos is hitting .342 in Charlotte. I know its a hitters park, but he doesnt exactly rip power numbers.  He might be a better option when Harris doenst pay off.  But we need to start to get some guys who have high on base and good averages to hit in front of the big boppers.

I think with a leadoff hitter and rowand hitting second that is a good start.

Anyone have any ideas on possible grinders we can get for next year.

Valdez rarely walks... but I agree, you cant ignore a .342 batting average..

harris was hitting around 450 in AAA

Harris has a problem not with his talent its with the melon between his ears. He goes up there timid, looking for the walk or trying to do a slap bunt. When he had his brief successful stint earlier this year, he was attacking the ball. Now he looks like he is out before he puts both feet in the box. That is why he can hit in the minors and struggle in the bigs. Its been the same thing with most of our prospects over the years. They do good and have the talent in the minors but struggle here because they lose confidence. Look at how he takes lead offs, he is almost glued to the bag. The guy is barely getting back on routine throws over. He has the speed but the noggin is definately not in place. The last guy to come up with guts and confidence was Buerhle.

i wonder how aaron miles would have fit in on this team.

i think the uribe-miles trade was pretty equal, but miles has had a nice year with the rockies. he doesn't have as many home runs as uribe (13-4), but he does have less strikeouts (27-64), a better on-base percentage (.332-.323) and a better average (.304-.266).

admittedly, miles has 18 less at-bats and has played in six fewer games.

i always liked him as a prospect, though, and thought he'd fit well with this team because he somewhat offset the power-hitting with a small-ball style of ball.

i wonder how aaron miles would have fit in on this team.

i think the uribe-miles trade was pretty equal, but miles has had a nice year with the rockies. he doesn't have as many home runs as uribe (13-4), but he does have less strikeouts (27-64), a better on-base percentage (.332-.323) and a better average (.304-.266).

admittedly, miles has 18 less at-bats and has played in six fewer games.

i always liked him as a prospect, though, and thought he'd fit well with this team because he somewhat offset the power-hitting with a small-ball style of ball.

If Uribe would get back to what worked which was using a level swing and hitting to all fields he would be a better fit than Miles. However the stepping in the bucket, cheating on the fastball, dipping his back shoulder to get elevation Uribe is a disaster.

If Uribe would get back to what worked which was using a level swing and hitting to all fields he would be a better fit than Miles.  However the stepping in the bucket, cheating on the fastball, dipping his back shoulder to get elevation Uribe is a disaster.

the sox need uribe to get hot again.