Roscoe Files

FlaSoxxJim

OK, back to the Arbuckle Scandal...

Yeah, I knew he was pretty much in the wrong place at the wrong time in the murder charge, but it's hard to let a good juicy scandal go, even 80 years later.

As far as the "rape by implementation..." I know that was one of the initial theories set forth by the prosecuters as to how someone could have ruptured a woman's bladder and caused fallopian tube tissue damage. I think that was the official theory set forth in "Hollywood Babylon" but it has been a long time since I've read that.

As far as the Chaplan thing, I'll have to dig up some info (Maybe it was also from "Hollywood Babylon" - don't remember." Basically there was a ritzy party on a yacht or a cruise ship and Chaplan was among the invited guests. He couldn't make it, and so his suite went to some relatively obscure bit actor Chaplan wannabe.

Seems he was murdered during his stay. It went unsolved and didn't make much sense, but somebody later decided that it was in fact Chaplan who was the target but the job was botched. It was just after he and the others formed United Artisrts, and the big studios were PO'd because for tthe first time the Actors had some real power to change the industry and make it more equitable for the actors.

That's the story I recall, I'll have to see what I can dig up.

Just dragging this back up so that I can say that I never heard of the story with Chaplin. Does it say that Arbuckle had tried to do in Chaplin, or did they never have a clue as to who may have tried it?

No, Arbuckle had nothing to do with it but he was also an invitee to the floating party.

Hollywood Babylon you say? Hmmm, maybe I will look for it.

Yeah, by Kenneth Anger. It's a classic, even if some of the juicy scandals may not be entirely believed anymore. He's got a follow-up out as well and also Rock and Roll Babylon (that one is really good).