Official Bears Training Camp Thread

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the third preseason game, let me give you a little recap on what I saw (Game three, Bears vs Saints):

-Rex Grossman had some good throws, had some bad throws. He seems to start off slow, and then get into a nice groove. The thing I'm liking most about Grossman is that, a.) he hasn't thrown any INTs yet and, b.) he's very elusive in the pocket. Not fast, but elusive.

-Thomas Jones continues to impress. Give this line a couple weeks to gel, and I honestly think that TJ will rush for 1,500 yards or so.

-Offensive line was good at times, bad at others. I really wasn't paying attention to them much, so I won't try and BS you and make something up. But - Tait is very good as well. Other than that, I dunno.

-Dustin Lyman is going to be a weapon in this offense. I wouldn't be surprised to see he or Desmond Clark, if healthy, the leading receivers (receptions) by the end of the year.

-Terrell was OK. They didn't throw to him much, and the one pass interference call was way, way too obvious. Gage - didn't really pay attention. Wade seems to be a solid receiver - dropped one or two, but I think he'll be alright (just no punt returns/kick returns.). Berrian is fast, as shown on the nice punt return he had, as well as a play-action pass that was called back because of a penalty. #18 Daryl Jones had a very good game; a 76 yard kick return, he seems like a quick receiver. Merrit played well.

-OK - Defense. Todd Johnson, safety who broke his jaw last year, is playing well. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the opening day safety opposite Mike Brown. Brown played well; always does.

-Our secondary was mediocre. Tillman played a nice game, but I'm real iffy on McQuarters. I see a ton of potential in Nathan Vasher; I really think in a year or two, he'll be our number 2 corner. McMillon - meh.

-Tommie Harris played an excellent game. For the first time in the preseason, I saw the quickness everyone raved about. He was manhandling the first-string Guard, he was in the backfield a ton of times in the first sack. I haven't looked at the box score, so I don't know for how many tackles he registered, but he played awesome. Tank was solid too. B-Rob was OK, didn't really pay attention to him. Alex Brown played well, and Haynes played pretty well too (except for the play where he had the QB in his hands, and let him slip away.).

-Briggs is awesome. I love watching him play. I think we're set at linebacker for the next couple of years, at least, with Briggs-Urlacher-Odom. Odom is a smart football player, he reads the QB very well, just can't catch the ball when he has a chance, lol. We know what we're going to get with Urlacher, so that isn't a problem.

That's the report for now. For any others who watched the game/were there, let me know what you thought.

Good News :)

Urlacher, tight ends return to practice

By Larry Mayer

August 29, 2004

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Hamstring injuries have plagued the Bears all summer, but there was encouraging news on that front Sunday at Halas Hall.

Middle linebacker Brian Urlacher and tight ends Desmond Clark and John Gilmore all practiced for the first time since early in training camp, and coach Lovie Smith expressed optimism that cornerback R.W. McQuarters could return from his hamstring injury to start the season opener.

Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher returned to practice Sunday and is scheduled to start the season opener Sept. 12 against the Lions. 

"It was good to get No. 54 back out there running the defense," Smith said. "It was also good to get Desmond Clark and John Gilmore back out there. Some of the hamstring guys are coming back at the right time. I feel good about our injuries right now."

Urlacher, who was injured an hour into the Bears' first training camp practice July 28 in Bourbonnais, will be held out of Monday's workout and won't play in the preseason finale Friday in Cleveland. But the four-time Pro Bowler is expected to start the season opener Sept. 12 against the Detroit Lions at Soldier Field.

Clark, who pulled his hamstring Aug. 1, hopes to shake off some rustiness versus the Browns after missing four weeks of practice and the first three preseason contests.

"There are a lot of things you can't duplicate out here on the practice field that you get in game-time situations," Clark said. "I need a lot of time. Hopefully I can play a lot in the next game.

"It's not so much the cardiovascular stuff; it's more taking that beating. I haven't taken the beating since (Dec. 28) of last year. Until I can come back and do that, then I'll be 100 percent."

R.W. McQuarters was injured on a pass play during the second quarter of Friday night's preseason loss to New Orleans. 

McQuarters, meanwhile, won't play in the preseason finale but could be back to face the Lions. He was injured on a pass play in the second quarter of Friday night's 17-13 preseason loss to the New Orleans Saints.

"We hope we'll have him by Detroit," Smith said. "But that of course is day-to-day. I'm optimistic when I say that; I hope that's the case. I don't really know. We're just hoping. Everything's geared toward that. We hope we have as many of our guys as possible."

With Jerry Azumah already out 3-4 months following neck surgery, Todd McMillon will get the first shot at replacing McQuarters with rookie fourth-round pick Nathan Vasher also challenging for the job.

"I'd definitely say that it's open," Smith said. "Todd is the next guy in the rotation. We're going to give Nathan Vasher a hard look this week. We're looking at all of our options. You can see the way the cornerback position is being hit by injuries, we need as many as we can (get).

"Nathan has made continued progress really. He's getting a little better every time he gets reps, so this will be a big game for him and Todd."

McMillon joined the Bears in 2000 after spending three seasons with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the Canadian Football League. A special teams contributor and extra defensive back, he has appeared in 34 games with just one start.

Getty Images 

Fifth-year pro Todd McMillon will get the first opportunity to replace injured cornerback R.W. McQuarters. 

Vasher struggled early in training camp, but has impressed coaches in recent weeks. A three-year starter at Texas, he tied a school record with 17 interceptions.

"Todd's been here four years and Nathan has come a long way in a short time," said defensive backs coach Vance Bedford. "If those guys have to play, they're going to be ready.

"Right now Nathan's really stepped up his play in the first three preseason games, so I think everyone feels comfortable with him at the present time."

Mike Green, who starts at strong safety and switches to nickel back in passing situations, also could help fill the void at cornerback.

"Mike has cornerback-type ability for a fourth corner," Smith said. "He could be a possibility there. He has experience and the way we play them, we don't put our corners in a lot of man-to-man, no-help situations, so he's an option also."

Finally some good news out of Halas. Wow R.W. could be back by the Detroit game, according to Lawrence Holmes on 670 he said R.W. was walking normally and didn't look to be in any real pain. that is huge considering Azumah is gone for a while

Im not a big fan of Rdub but with Zoom out, we need a guy with experience to take his spot for the first couple of games and that guy has to be Rdub.

Yes - Urlacher is BACK baby! :headbang

Ogunlye possibly playing next week. f*** yeah - our defense is going to surprise, surprise, surprise this year... Ogunlye-Harris-B-Rob-Brown, Odom-Urlacher-Briggs, Peanut-Brown-Johnson-R-Dub.

Two weeks till week one. We're adding two pro-bowlers next week, I'm so f***ing pumped... :headbang :snr

Here's a pre-2003 draft scouting report on Pierson:

Shurron Pierson

Position: Defensive End/Outside Linebacker 

College: South Florida

Height: 6-2

Weight: 243

Hometown: Wildwood, Fla.

Positives: Self-motivated player with great character … Reads and adjusts to the play quickly and uses his strength well in outside run support … Delivers a punishing hand punch to tight ends to jam them at the line … Has the speed to reach the ball carriers at the opposite end of the field and the acceleration to be a very effective pass rusher off the edge … Has the lateral agility to smoothly flow through traffic … Shows superb body control, fluidly turning in the open in pass coverage … Has that explosive leg drive and hip swerve to rock blockers on impact … His excellent hip flexibility allows him to stay stride-for-stride with the receivers while dropping off in the zone … Shows great change-over ability with his feet coming out of his backpedal … Uses his hands well to keep blockers off his feet and to also prove dangerous as a pass thief.

Negatives: Like two different players -- coming off the edge, he is very comfortable and decisive, but when made to lend inline support vs. the run, he quickly gets walled off from the play … Lunges to make tackles at times, trying to grab at the ball carrier, rather than wrapping him … Needs to show better hand usage when trying to shed blocks … His lack of bulk (and exceptional quickness) could see him shift to strongside linebacker at the pro level … His insistence on overpowering his man has led to some tough times disengaging when his initial move fails to work … Has a high metabolism which causes problems for him trying to keep the weight on … Needs to add bulk and power to his frame.

Other notes: runs a 4.66 40 and has a 39 in. vert. jump

I am trying to figure out how we can be worse than last year...

QB-improved(Rex is better than Kordell and Chandler)

RB-improved

FB-improved

OL-improved

TE-same

WR-opposite of improved(w/e the hell that is)

DE-improved

DT-improved

LB-same

CB-worse, cuz of injury

S-same

I rest my case.