Sox 2003

Soxfest

I feel the SOX just winning the AL Central, itself is not going to be good enough for me to call 03 a successful season. The central is a 2 horse race and quite frankly the most non- competitive division in MLB at the present time. KC , DET, Clev seasons are already over before they start, none of these teams in 03 have a hope in hell of winning this year, Sox should win alot of games from these bottom feeders. A first round playoff exit again would be a disaster of never going to point B again . Sox need minimium

to go to the ALCS with the talent this team has. Sox have not won a Playoff series since 1959, that is horrible for a franchise around as long as this. I am a diehard Sox fan in every sense of the word , but it is time to take the next step. ALCS or BUST.

if we are in a dogfight with Minnesota and end up winning the division by one game, us with 94 wins and them with 93, then that will be excitment galore -

and I could never consider a division championship year a failure when we have only had 3 (or 4 if you include 94).

I certainly 2want to see them go all the way.

It will be a big accomplishment to win that first playoff game at home (undone in 83 and 93 and 00) and once we get that, then maybe we'll roll on to where we all want to go.

Let's hope. :headbang

I want to see a World Series on the southside!

Normally I would say get your head in the game, because that ain't happening. But this year our offense should be good enough that we will go as far as our pitching takes us. If all of the pitchers live up to there potential we will could easily win it all, unfortunately it has been a while since Sox pitchers lived up to there potential

Guest hotsoxchick1
Division Championship does not do anything for me , that is what SOX brass wants you to do be happy about point A AGAIN.

aint that the truth........... theyre always making us settle for second best........

I whole heartedly agree. The 2000 season was wonderful. 97 games; great! Then again, we lost in the playoffs to the Mariners 3 games to none. I want to see us in the championship game (AL that is) or I will not be very happy with the season. Well, I will be happy if they get to the playoffs, but I will be DISAPPOINTED if they don't make it to the ALCS.

LOL you all have high hopes for a team that probably wont even make the playoffs.

You are basing that comment on what?

Our offense that will probably lead the world in runs?

Our rotation that has one of the best 1-2 punches in the game?

Or our bullpen that very well could be lights out?

Which exactly is it?

LOL you all have high hopes for a team that probably wont even make the playoffs.

Which exactly is it?

Well let's not be overconfident. We've got potential to go far, but theres a much bigger chance of things going wrong than everything coming together. The last 2 seasons pretty much proved that.

Well let's not be overconfident. We've got potential to go far, but theres a much bigger chance of things going wrong than everything coming together. The last 2 seasons pretty much proved that.

I think the team chemistry is going to be much better than it was in '01 and '02. I think all of our cancers are gone, and I read that the guys are actually hanging out off the field. Plus, the steroid test incident showed that this team is much more of a cohesive unit than it was in year's past.

Frank seems to be hitting the ball well so far this Spring (I think he's over .300 now after getting a few more AB's under his belt).

We've got a legitimate and proven #2, which we didn't have in 2001 and 2002 (unless you count Wells, who was injured for most of 2001).

Our bullpen situation was addressed and IMO, resolved. We've got possibly the best 1-2-3 punch in Marte, Gordon, and Koch. They're going to close out a lot of close games -- games that we lost last year.

On paper, we've got a lot to be excited about as Sox fans. True, things can go wrong, but they can go wrong for every team.

Which exactly is it?

The last two seasons we had Choice K-layton....coincidence? I think not.

This team has a very good chance of gelling....the biggest ego on the team is Thomas...and he's the same ego-type as Barry Bonds....all about himself, but does want the team to win. They do it in different fashions...but is essentially the same. We have no pitcher with an ego, aside from Koch....and he is a good guy for the clubhouse....he jokes around, and is never mean(except to the opposition), etc....and maybe Gordon as well. Gordon makes diddly-squat money wise, so he could be released if he were causing trouble.

As clujer said....this team could lead the majors in runs....we will have one of the best 1-2 punches in the majors(and possibly one of the best 1-2-3 punches as well), and we have a bullpen that could be possibly the best in the league. There is a better chance of it working out that way than there is not working out that way. There would have to be injuries before it didn't work out that way....because that many guys can't underachieve that badly.

All I'm saying is...

For us to get far, EVERYTHING has to go right for us. Buerhle and Colon will have to pitch like they did last season. Garland will have to pitch like we believe he can. Our 4th/5th starters have to be stable, unlike it is right now. JM has to stop the tinkering. Frank needs to get back into his 1990s form. Maggs and Konerko will have to put up similar numbers to last season. Lee will have to pick it up. Jimenez and Valentin have to do a darn good job leading off.

And for everything to fall apart, all we need is a couple of key injuries, clubhouse commotion, or players just plain old sucking.

Don't get me wrong, I believe this team can go far with their talent, but just don't get your hopes all high, we're not even a playoff team until proven.

All I'm saying is...

For us to get far, EVERYTHING has to go right for us. Buerhle and Colon will have to pitch like they did last season. Garland will have to pitch like we believe he can. Our 4th/5th starters have to be stable, unlike it is right now. JM has to stop the tinkering. Frank needs to get back into his 1990s form. Maggs and Konerko will have to put up similar numbers to last season. Lee will have to pick it up. Jimenez and Valentin have to do a darn good job leading off.

And for everything to fall apart, all we need is a couple of key injuries, clubhouse commotion, or players just plain old sucking.

Don't get me wrong, I believe this team can go far with their talent, but just don't get your hopes all high, we're not even a playoff team until proven.

True.

But I'd rather be optimistic than pessimistic.

247...if that happened, we seriously would win 173 games!

We don't need Garland to pitch like we know he can....it would be nice, but it is unnecessary. We don't need Thomas to return to his 90s form....it would be nice, but unnecessary. Konerko and Maggs will put up similar numbers....no worries there. Buehrle and Colon will be good enough...no worries there. Lee can dumbass(used as a verb in this instance, just to let you know) around again if he wants to....it's all good with me.

We need some things to come through for us...like Jimenez having a solid year, Rowand having a solid year, Olivo having a solid year...and then we will be fine.

247...if that happened, we seriously would win 173 games! 

We don't need Garland to pitch like we know he can....it would be nice, but it is unnecessary.  We don't need Thomas to return to his 90s form....it would be nice, but unnecessary.  Konerko and Maggs will put up similar numbers....no worries there.  Buehrle and Colon will be good enough...no worries there.  Lee can dumbass(used as a verb in this instance, just to let you know) around again if he wants to....it's all good with me. 

We need some things to come through for us...like Jimenez having a solid year, Rowand having a solid year, Olivo having a solid year...and then we will be fine.

I agree with most of that.

The one thing we do need is Jon Garland to step up. Having a great 1-2 is very nice, but unless it's RJ/CS, they can't carry us for the whole year (and even they had a hard time doing it). We need a solid 1-2-3 combo, and if Jon can pitch like he did the last 10 or so starts, this Sox team will put fear into many teams' eyes.

And Thomas needs to return to at least .300, 30, 110, with 100+ walks IMO (not quite mid-90's form, but close) in order for this team to make some noise in October.