Gammons on BBTN

OSUBUCKS2

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Little blurb about this on espn.com:

PITTSBURGH -- Kris Benson left the Pittsburgh Pirates' clubhouse for perhaps the last time Thursday, convinced he'll be traded by Saturday.

Could he be headed to Queens?

ESPN's Peter Gammons reported Thursday night that the Mets and Pirates are in serious discussions about a deal that would send Benson to New York in exchange for third baseman Ty Wigginton, right-handed pitching prospect Matt Peterson and a minor leaguer, who likely would come from the White Sox in a three-team scenario.

While nothing has been finalized, sources tell Gammons that there is a good chance the deal could be completed before Saturday's trade deadline.

Ah - thanks for the laugh EJ, I need some after tonight's embarrassment of a loss.

Seriously for a minute, I really hope what Kenny is trying to do here is have New York pay for some, or a lot of Kendall's contract, and have Kendall come to us, while we send not much of a prospect to Pitt. That way, Pitt rids itself of a contract they don't want, yet still get somewhat of a prospect (thinking of it now, if we send Pitt a good prospect, we better get someone good, whether it be from NY or Pitt.)

i just heard gammons on sportscenter. It seems as if the sox arent going to get anything in return from how gammons was saying. he said the mets will get a minor league from sox, and send the minor leaguetr, ty wigginton and a pitching prospect to pitt for benson

i just heard gammons on sportscenter.  It seems as if the sox arent going to get anything in return from how gammons was saying. he said the mets will get a minor league from sox, and send the minor leaguetr, ty wigginton and a pitching prospect to pitt for benson

I really, really find it hard to believe the Sox are just going to be involved in a deal just for the hell of not letting a rival get a guy. If we are truely in on this deal, then we will get something of value in return, I guarantee it.

That doesn't make a lot of sense... its not like Benson is Randy Johnson or anything.

It makes sense to me. The Sox are in a pretty deep hole right now and the last thing that needs to happen is the Twins improving their ballclub. He may not be as good in the AL, but he's an improvement of what they have behind Santana and Radke.

Here are Shane Spencer's stats as well. Nothing special from both him and Ty Wigginton (sp?):

.281 AVG, .332 OBP, 4 HR, 26 RBI, .742 ( :puke ) OPS.

I doubt Kenny Williams is looking at getting either of these guys. He's looking at one of:

Brian Meadows, Rob Mackowiak, Jason Kendall, or anyone else who could help the Sox bullpen. JMHO.

Why does everyone think Kendall could be in this trade? Don't you think Gammons would have mentioned it? I don't think it would be legal to get nothing in return, so maybe we'll get a minor leaguer also. Maybe J.R. House, a former catching stud prospect who I believe is out of options.

Why does everyone think Kendall could be in this trade?  Don't you think Gammons would have mentioned it?  I don't think it would be legal to get nothing in return, so maybe we'll get a minor leaguer also.  Maybe J.R. House, a former catching stud prospect who I believe is out of options.

It's all simply speculation right now, IMO. Personally, if a deal like this were to go down, it would make the most sense, for us, for Pitt, and probably for the Mets, if it went something like this:

Mets get Benson and a prospect from Pitt/Sox.

Sox get Kendall, with New York chipping in for part of Kendall's contract.

Bucs get prospects from both NY/Sox.

That's just what I think, because there is no way that ALL of Kendall's contract will come our way.

Take it FWIW, JMHO.

Dont worry, KW wont screw up that big. ;)

Fella, can you please change your sig? It makes it way difficult to load the page and takes forever to see the responses.

Thank you!

We need to eliminate all the moving signatures on this site IMO. I have cable modem and it's still slow. If you can't convey your message with a sig line, let it be, it ain't that important.

Thanks ... JH

Fella, can you please change your sig?  It makes it way difficult to load the page and takes forever to see the responses.

Thank you!

We need to eliminate all the moving signatures on this site IMO.  I have cable modem and it's still slow.  If you can't convey your message with a sig line, let it be, it ain't that important.

Thanks ... JH

Thanks for the input. Are we out of it yet. Can we just get a guy that can hit singles? Willie harris equals Craig Grebeck with no power.